I need to Buy A New Fridge

33 RPM

Back home brand names like Toshiba, Hitachi which once used to be good, but sadly now are "Junk Brands ",

are widely sold here in Thailand

then there are the Chinese  brands Haeir Hisense TCL

plus many more

i am replacing a Electrolux Side by Side 2 Door which was unfortunately riddled with issues, so that brands out.

it made more different noises than a 30 piece orchestra....

So asking for "recent purchases, experiences" with a new fridge ,decent size 16 -20 cubic feet,

and if you are happy and would recommend The Brand you purchased...

Thanks

Also recommend Panasonic (old National brand).  Have had unit like KhunLA for 11 years and no issues at all (unlike Samsung and Hitachi).  Unit is about 19cf and note they are all top freezer now in that larger size.

40 minutes ago, 33 RPM said:

So asking for "recent purchases, experiences" with a new fridge ,decent size 16 -20 cubic feet,

Surely you should be asking for owners who've had their fridges for a long time and can vouch for their reliability and longevity. 

In that vein, I can vouch for Hitachi turbo Twin Fan. We've had it for 9 years, with only one minor problem when a fan failed. I was able to fix it myself with a pretty standard spare part from Lazada. 

Just now, Moonlover said:

Surely you should be asking for owners who've had their fridges for a long time and can vouch for their reliability and longevity. 

In that vein, I can vouch for Hitachi turbo Twin Fan. We've had it for 9 years, with only one minor problem when a fan failed. I was able to fix it myself with a pretty standard spare part from Lazada. 

Note also that Hitachi is locally made so parts should be available if needed - but one I had the ice maker failed within 2 years and freezer plastic tray too small/falls and blocks air flow.  Temp never gets to real freezer (-19c) in hot season.  That said compressor has not failed and is 15 years old (was not cheap at 30k).

A fridge from 5 - 10 years ago is a different proposition to one maybe 12 months of so old,   thats why i ask for "recent " experiences

maybe a fridge recently bought, as to if it has any niggles, noises, performance, efficiency etc

quality can and sometimes changes dramatically over the years

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

LG......well impressed.....also have LG TV, aircon (7) and washing machine

Got an LG fridge 3 years ago, within weeks the surface around the top where you open it started to come off, looks a right mess now

Edited by proton

4 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

I beg to differ. Samsung may be good for phones, but not  fridges, microwaves etc.

We use a double-door Samsung Fridge-Freezer combined refridgerator for more than 5 years. The only (neglectable) problem is a bit of noise that is noticed from time to time. Otherwise I do not see any disadvantage. Freezes and cools as it should. And it never has failed.

Our next freezer will be a very large one (brand undecided) again with two swinging doors but as well with a built in ice-maker. We will move soon to our own house andmay therefore decide better.

Edited by moogradod

32 minutes ago, transam said:

My Samsung side by side fridge/freezer with ice maker is now 16 years old, just had a new compressor fitted, 4,500bht, all working great again....:cowboy:

Ours is single door 20cf with lower freezer and 22 years old - had to change compressor (local fix) at about 18 years but had failures of sensors in ref and freezer and several other electrical issues - all of which required import of parts from Singapore.  But does keep temp well.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Ours is single door 20cf with lower freezer and 22 years old - had to change compressor (local fix) at about 18 years but had failures of sensors in ref and freezer and several other electrical issues - all of which required import of parts from Singapore.  But does keep temp well.

The guy that fixed ours said it usually the thermostat that gives up, and after 16 years I reckon it will be next on the cards, but little else to go wrong. Maybe the ice maker motor will pack up next, but I will still keep it going. Think I paid 49,000bht for it, it was the nuts at the time...

Just now, 33 RPM said:

Mixed bag of experiences, thanks for the input

Has anyone had an LG side by side in recent times

it looks quite reasonable

My friend has an LG side by side F/F, about 10 years old, it stopped working, it needed a new printed circuit, think he was charged 5,000bht..

On 3/25/2023 at 1:52 PM, NoshowJones said:

I beg to differ. Samsung may be good for phones, but not  fridges, microwaves etc.

My Samsung fridge has been running flawlessly since I bought it about 5 years ago. What's your personal experience with their fridges?

23 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

My Samsung fridge has been running flawlessly since I bought it about 5 years ago. What's your personal experience with their fridges?

You asked another but my experience has bee failures (electronic sensors) and no parts to fix stocked in Thailand - have to order from outside Thailand and wait - not good when you need refrigerators.

27 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

My Samsung fridge/freezer is 16 years old.....????

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mark1066 said:

I haven't had one of their fridges, I learned my lesson with a Samsung microwave. It conked out just after the one year warranty was up, I took it to be repaired and was told it would cost just as much to repair it as to buy a new one. No more Samsung electrical appliances for me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

I haven't had one of their fridges, I learned my lesson with a Samsung microwave. It conked out just after the one year warranty was up, I took it to be repaired and was told it would cost just as much to repair it as to buy a new one. No more Samsung electrical appliances for me.

So why comment on them if you have no experience? More hearsay is the last thing we need on the Internet.

My anecdotal evidence is of little use, coming from a sample size of one, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Mark1066
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

A microwave isn't a fridge.....????

My Samsung fridge/freezer is 16 years old, my Samsung microwave is about 6 years old, and my Samsung 55" tele, is I think, 5 years old, but my phone is not a Samsung.....:cowboy:

• Haha 1

Just now, transam said:

A microwave isn't a fridge.....????

My Samsung fridge/freezer is 16 years old, my Samsung microwave is about 6 years old, and my Samsung 55" tele, is I think, 5 years old, but my phone is not a Samsung.....:cowboy:

Maybe that's where he went wrong? I expect your milk would go off quite quickly if you left it in the microwave all day.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

Nothing to complain.

One thing I have noticed is it makes some very unusual noises for a fridge but it performs really well. Very good air circulation - a whole lot better than the fridge it replaced, in which my salad items used to go wet and soggy within a day or two.

we bought a samsung 2 door(side by side) 6 years ago, stopped working last year, had the people look at it and was told that the compressor was no good but they dont malke them anymore, When I messaged Samsung head office as it was still under their 10 year warranty they had someone come and get it and take it away to look at, They then said they would have to attach a new compressor to the outside back of the fridge mening it will no longer fit in the kitchen(as well as look stupid) and they wanted us to pay 9000 baht as well, still waiting to hear from Samsung head office, Now our Electrolux(other house) which is 2 years old(2 door side by side) has packed it in and stopped working, lost everything in it. Electrolux sent out someone to look at it and they said 7 days to get a part(heating element?), still waiting for them to get back to us after 2 weeks. Obviously Thailand has pathetic after sales service and refuse to lose out on repairs so Samsung & Electrolux are 2 I will never recommend for fridges or anything electrical

I have an older Panasonic: No problems at all.

Had a newer Mitsubishi: the motherboard (big computer board inside) burned out, which was poor designed

Have 2 Haier Aircondition (not fridge) which both got a stuck compressor very soon. Maybe it was just bad luck but I don't buy this brand anymore....