Can You Make a Marriage Visa Directly From a Tourist Visa?

I just returned to Thailand in early March with a 45 day visa waiver stamp in my passport. I can't recall ever trying to make a Thailand marriage visa off of a tourist visa before. Can it be done directly provided I have all of the paperwork? Or is there another intermediate step?

It's a four step process to go from a visa exempt entry to first 90 day Non-O visa and then 2 months later to a year extension based on marriage to a Thai.

1 - Apply for the 90 day Non-O visa for 2000 baht at your immigration office from t your Visa exempt entry with form TM87. Get a receipt that's says application under review return in 2 weeks for the results (you need a minimum of 15 days left on your current stamp at most offices to do this)

2 - go back on that date, get the Non-O visa and the new 90 day stamp inked in.

3 - Wait until you have 30 days or less left on that 90 day stamp, go back to the immigration office and apply for the year extension for 1900 baht, get a 30 day under consideration stamp.

4 - wait until the 30 day under consideration stamp runs out, go back and get the year extension inked in.

And that's the steps to go from a visa exempt to a non o to a year extension based on marriage.

Go to your immigration office and get the hand out listing the requirements for the initial 90 day Non-O visa and the other one for the requirements for the year extension as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Steps outlined above.

Just to add....you may need more time to organize things.

If required you can obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

Some posts in this thread also outlines the requirements.

Edited by DrJack54

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

1 - Apply for the 90 day Non-O visa for 2000 baht at your immigration office from t your Visa exempt entry with form TM87. Get a receipt that's says application under review return in 2 weeks for the results (you need a minimum of 15 days left on your current stamp at most offices to do this)

@AmySukwan - link to official Immigration Bureau guidance covering this initial stage of the whole process below:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

EDIT: The financial requirements set out in section 7 may well not apply in your case. But your husband will definitely need to be aware of the requirement placed on him in section 8, I think!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If required you can obtain a 60 day extension to visit wife. 

The OP is female! But presumably she could still seek a one-off 60-day extension for the purposes of visiting her Thai husband?

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

@AmySukwan - link to official Immigration Bureau guidance covering this initial stage of the whole process below:-

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/6.FOR-PROVIDING-SUPPORT-TO-OR-BEING-A-DEPENDANT-OF-A-THAI-CITIZEN-SPOUSE-VISA-NON-O.pdf

EDIT: The financial requirements set out in section 7 may well not apply in your case. But your husband will definitely need to be aware of the requirement placed on him in section 8, I think!

ls it based on gender M + F  ' if your woman & decide Marry Thai man is it  actually different rules based on gender Thai man to foreign woman ? I don't download links on these or any types forums spam/bugs etc, l'm interested to know , From what l read its foreign woman concerned here about switching from Tourist visa onto Thai marriage visa ! Are rules same as it is for foreign man 800k in bank + proff of annual income  per month if  same rules as it is for foreign man no issues & if different and easier lower asset based for foreign woman 

to Marry A Thai man does she  foreign woman provide all same restrictions placed on foreign  man ! if foreign man Marrys Thai woman ! do you have to provide everything same for marriage visa ? just try find out if it's gender based issue " if it's same rules no issues " if its  easier & no limits on income or banking 800k as foreign man has to do or must supply Thai Gov !  Could be biased & racists towards foreign man coz he's going  to marry Thai woman (  M & F foreigners vs Thai male or Thai woman ) ? 

Edited by Mad mick
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Hi Amy,

You did not enter on a Tourist Visa, but you entered Thailand Visa Exempt (without a Visa) which provided you with a 45-day Permit to stay stamped in your passport on entry by Thai border Immigration.

The information you received in previous responses is fully correct.

But be aware that some Imm Offices do require more time than 15 days left on your Permit to stay when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. As you would be applying in Phuket, do check on the number of remaining days required there. 

In case you are too late already, you would have to apply first for either a 30-day extension or for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your Thai husband.  An extension of stay - irrespective of the period it will provide - costs 1900,- THB.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Hi Amy,

You did not enter on a Tourist Visa, but you entered Thailand Visa Exempt (without a Visa) which provided you with a 45-day Permit to stay stamped in your passport on entry by Thai border Immigration.

The information you received in previous responses is fully correct.

But be aware that some Imm Offices do require more time than 15 days left on your Permit to stay when applying for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of marriage. As you would be applying in Phuket, do check on the number of remaining days required there. 

In case you are too late already, you would have to apply first for either a 30-day extension or for a 60-day extension for reason of visiting your Thai husband.  An extension of stay - irrespective of the period it will provide - costs 1900,- THB.

I am thus far not late as I am trying to get on top of an expiration April 17 and calculating the Songkran holiday. I'm a bit perplexed if this is the more rigorous marriage visa process or the less rigorous non O 60 day extension.  

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, OJAS said:

My husband is a louse! Hence us trying to one up a few at the Monastery! It's a little bit of an inside joke.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, AmySukwan said:

My husband is a louse! Hence us trying to one up a few at the Monastery! It's a little bit of an inside joke.

Clearly a joke as I don't understand one word of this post.

Is your OP a joke also? 

Your question: "can you obtain a non O based on marriage from a tourist visa".

Answer YES.

Added info you can obtain a 30 day extension to tourist visa entry.

You can also obtain 60 day extension to visit Thai husband.

As already outlined.

I think isn't fare(and also ridiculous) that a falang female doesn't have to provide some requirements as a falang male must do. But good that my Thai wife pays everything for me, even if I have money 

Edited by Jack1988

2 hours ago, Jack1988 said:

I think isn't fare(and also ridiculous) that a falang female

If you live in Thailand you will not expect fair ????

Especially when comparing Thai men's rights to have their falang wife get Thai citizenship vs Thai women's rights to have their Falang husband get Thai citizenship

Edited by mania

10 hours ago, AmySukwan said:

Since when have the few at the Monastery who apparently need to be one-upped for some obscure reason in your husband's case have had any influence in issuing a certificate of employment for him duly certified by a head of department????

16 hours ago, Mad mick said:

ls it based on gender M + F  ' if your woman & decide Marry Thai man is it  actually different rules based on gender Thai man to foreign woman ? I don't download links on these or any types forums spam/bugs etc, l'm interested to know , From what l read its foreign woman concerned here about switching from Tourist visa onto Thai marriage visa ! Are rules same as it is for foreign man 800k in bank + proff of annual income  per month if  same rules as it is for foreign man no issues & if different and easier lower asset based for foreign woman 

to Marry A Thai man does she  foreign woman provide all same restrictions placed on foreign  man ! if foreign man Marrys Thai woman ! do you have to provide everything same for marriage visa ? just try find out if it's gender based issue " if it's same rules no issues " if its  easier & no limits on income or banking 800k as foreign man has to do or must supply Thai Gov !  Could be biased & racists towards foreign man coz he's going  to marry Thai woman (  M & F foreigners vs Thai male or Thai woman ) ? 

The stark reality is that gender feudalism, whereby the husband is the breadwinner and the wife is the homemaker, is still deeply ingrained in the traditions of Thai society, and the contrasting Immigration requirements placed on male and female non-Thai spouses as regards the need for 40k pcm or 400k pa are based on this premise. Sexist it most certainly is as viewed in the eyes of 21st Century Western society, but unfortunately a fact of life here that we have no choice, in practice, other to accept IMHO.

5 hours ago, mania said:

If you live in Thailand you will not expect fair ????

Especially when comparing Thai men's rights to have their falang wife get Thai citizenship vs Thai women's rights to have their Falang husband get Thai citizenship

Yes, this is the Far West ????