Directing a taxi driver from Don Meuang Airport to a hotel?

trax33

What's the best way to direct a taxi driver from Don Meuang Airport to a hotel somewhere in Bangkok, without wasting time finding it? Is it correct most taxi drivers don't use Google Maps?

Edited by trax33

10 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Get a Bolt. The destination comes up on his phone.

Good idea.

Do you know if it's easy to order a Bolt or Grab straight from Don Meuang Airport, or do I have to move somewhere outside of the airport first?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, norfolkandchance said:

I ordered a Bolt to go to Pattaya from the airport. The driver phoned me on where to wait. No problems.

And that was not too far walking from Arrivals, since I've got quite some luggage with me?

Do AOT Limousine (Taxi) operate from the the baggage hall at Don Muang ? IF so, this would be the best way. 

Other options are Grab...  Most regularly taxi’s will ’should know’...  but.. you are taking a chance they might not which could be a hassle after a long flight. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Tell the driver the name of the hotel.

If he doesn't know that hotel, or pretends he doesn't know it, then tell him the street and soi.

Taxis were able to find hotels long time before mobile phones were invented. 

How is someone able to recognise that a taxi driver is ‘pretending he knows’ ?

If you take taxis a lot I understand that there are some ‘giveaways’, but for a newbie, I double they’ll be able to notice. 

Additionally, in the past (earlier years), I had to stay very alert and make sure the taxi driver did not take the wrong exit etc, for doing so could add a long time to the journey. 

I recall not paying attention at all when heading out to Don Muang...  I dont know how it was even possible, but the taxi driver ended up heading south-bound on the Chaeng Wattana Expressway way rather than North-bound on the Don Muang Tollway !!!...   I nearly missed my flight !

For someone who doesn’t want to worry about this stuff... I’d suggest getting the Airport Limo (AOT - IF they have them at DM).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:
4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Tell the driver the name of the hotel.

If he doesn't know that hotel, or pretends he doesn't know it, then tell him the street and soi.

Taxis were able to find hotels long time before mobile phones were invented. 

How is someone able to recognise that a taxi driver is ‘pretending he knows’ ?

My comment was about taxi driver who pretend they don't know a hotel. Because then they can suggest to you another hotel where they get commission.

That happened to me a long time ago when I told the taxi to go to a hotel which I selected in a Lonely Planet book. After I settled in a few days later I looked for that hotel. It was where the travel guide described it.

And about the wrong way: Yes, sometimes drivers go deliberately to the opposite direction. But I also remember when I returned from Silom to Sukhumvit and the driver took Rama 4 road - very different from my way to Silom. At the end I found out that is the usual way to go back to Sukhumvit.

It is high time that the "normal" taxis should have GPS installed as mandatory for getting the license.

This is why people prefer Grab or Bolt - not just the price.

Then they could type in the name of the hotel - most of the taxis drivers will know the major hotels in the centre of Bangkok and around Sukhumvit, but anything slightly out of the way and they may pretend that they know or understand you (to save face) and then hope they can find it in the general area or you will be able to direct them.

I always have google maps open on my phone when I am taking any taxi service just to be sure.

I have even had the ridiculous situation of getting into a taxi in the middle of Bangkok to go to a meeting in PakKret - having given the taxi driver the address in Thai - and him getting totally lost and eventually asking me to drive as I knew where I needed to go.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Do AOT Limousine (Taxi) operate from the the baggage hall at Don Muang ? IF so, this would be the best way. 

Other options are Grab...  Most regularly taxi’s will ’should know’...  but.. you are taking a chance they might not which could be a hassle after a long flight. 

I now use BOLT for all my taxi travel, great service and good fares. Not sure nowadays but some years back they were active to talk to  customers exiting from the luggage hall, take the passenger to a nearby desk to pay the money, then tell the passenger have to walk to the car, parked in the depths of the car park and you had to handle your own luggage to the car. 

Edited by scorecard

6 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

I ordered a Bolt to go to Pattaya from the airport. The driver phoned me on where to wait. No problems.

How does the whole "the driver phoned me" thing work when someone does not speak Thai.................... or do the bolt drivers speak English ?

35 minutes ago, SatEng said:

It is high time that the "normal" taxis should have GPS installed as mandatory for getting the license.

This is why people prefer Grab or Bolt - not just the price.

Then they could type in the name of the hotel - most of the taxis drivers will know the major hotels in the centre of Bangkok and around Sukhumvit, but anything slightly out of the way and they may pretend that they know or understand you (to save face) and then hope they can find it in the general area or you will be able to direct them.

I always have google maps open on my phone when I am taking any taxi service just to be sure.

I have even had the ridiculous situation of getting into a taxi in the middle of Bangkok to go to a meeting in PakKret - having given the taxi driver the address in Thai - and him getting totally lost and eventually asking me to drive as I knew where I needed to go.

Don't think I have ever caught a bolt with GPS installed.... the drivers use's their phone  for navigation.

no reason why normal taxi's cannot do the same.

19 minutes ago, riclag said:

If you got a phone with a Thai sim card just call the hotel and hand the

phone off o the taxi driver!

If no thai sim just give the hotel phone # to them.

Yes.

If the hotel is on the internet they usually have an address/ phone number so print that out to give to the driver if it's in Thai.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

How does the whole "the driver phoned me" thing work when someone does not speak Thai.................... or do the bolt drivers speak English ?

IMO it would be unusual if a Bkk taxi driver picking up from the airport did not speak/ understand English. Perhaps in Nakon Nowhere it would be expected.

If one can't print out the details of hotel prior to departure, just go to information on arrival and ask them to write it out in Thai. Worked for me back before internet was even a thing.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

IMO it would be unusual if a Bkk taxi driver picking up from the airport did not speak/ understand English. Perhaps in Nakon Nowhere it would be expected.

If one can't print out the details of hotel prior to departure, just go to information on arrival and ask them to write it out in Thai. Worked for me back before internet was even a thing.

right............. so the driver did not speak to you in English, figured that was the case !!

22 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Don't think I have ever caught a bolt with GPS installed.... the drivers use's their phone  for navigation.

no reason why normal taxi's cannot do the same.

You can't install GPS in a taxi, it's a network of satellites that belong to the US military ????

• Confused 2

Not long ago I used Grab from DMK to a Sukhumvit hotel.  The app told me to wait outside a specific exit door.  I had the make & reg. of the car and could see it approaching on the app's map.  When it arrived I got in, few words were spoken or needed, he already knew where to take me.  All good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you use the DM airport taxi queue, the staff will ask you where you want to go and they write the address on the taxi drivers paper. I've never had a problem with a driver taking me to my hotel. I try to stay at a hotel near a BTS Station and if I arrive several hours before hotel check-in time, I sometimes have the taxi drop me off at Victory Monument BTS and I take the train. This allows me to pass the time having lunch.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

i don't recall seeing AOT at DMK.  i fly to/from buriram frequently via DMK and use a taxi service similar to AOT.  nice cars and 950thb to inner bkk.  the booth to get the service is just to the left as you come out of the baggage claim area.  i also use AOT at suvarnabhumi.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, trax33 said:

it correct most taxi drivers don't use Google Maps?

No. 

All taxis, Grab, Bolt,etc use either Google Maps or Waze.

It not only helps with directions but real time traffic and road closures.

Just show the driver (taxi) the hotels website with its address. 

Better yet avoid Taxis and use Grab or Bolt.  Unfortunately there not allowed to pick up at the Cities airports but many people do it anyways. 

• Like 1