Directing a taxi driver from Don Meuang Airport to a hotel?

trax33

19 hours ago, buick said:

i don't recall seeing AOT at DMK.  i fly to/from buriram frequently via DMK and use a taxi service similar to AOT.  nice cars and 950thb to inner bkk.  the booth to get the service is just to the left as you come out of the baggage claim area.  i also use AOT at suvarnabhumi.  

I went to that counter at DMK yesterday....."no have cars".  (And yes, no AOT at DMK.)

But fortune smiled yesterday at DMK - arrived at immigration to one person in front of me in the queue, checked bag came out immediately, as soon as I walked outside the A2 bus pulled up to take me to Mo Chit BTS, and when I reached the BTS platform the train arrived within two minutes.

I was in my hotel 50 minutes after stepping off the plane.  (Plus, the IO recognized my non-O and re-entry permit and stamped me in correctly.)

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 4:34 PM, TheAppletons said:

I went to that counter at DMK yesterday....."no have cars".  (And yes, no AOT at DMK.)

But fortune smiled yesterday at DMK - arrived at immigration to one person in front of me in the queue, checked bag came out immediately, as soon as I walked outside the A2 bus pulled up to take me to Mo Chit BTS, and when I reached the BTS platform the train arrived within two minutes.

I was in my hotel 50 minutes after stepping off the plane.  (Plus, the IO recognized my non-O and re-entry permit and stamped me in correctly.)

the desk i use for the car service is just outside the arrivals baggage claim in the domestic terminal.  not sure what there is in the international terminal, i've never used it.  i always fly out of BKK for international, only use DMK for domestic.  are international arrivals directed to the domestic terminal for ground transport ? 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:35 AM, soi3eddie said:

Yes, in principal, but sometimes the exact location is not correct. Drivers often cannot read those maps either. I've had many Bolt and Grab drivers juggling phones trying to navigate and drive whilst talking to wife, girlfriend or family on a second phone.

I once had a Bolt drive where the driver was engrossed in watching a film on a device sitting on his dashboard.

3 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

I once had a Bolt drive where the driver was engrossed in watching a film on a device sitting on his dashboard.

I once had a driver pull over and ask a security guard where the airport link station was when we were under the station platform.

You can a taxi that uses GPS navigation by using the 'Just Grab' option in the Grab App.

But unless you miss the worn out shock absorbers, grinding wheel bearings, peppermint air fresheners and lurid pink paintwork of a Bangkok taxi, I'd recommend regular Grab or Bolt.

There's an integrated translation function in the messaging feature, so easy to arrange pick up point.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:28 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Tell the driver the name of the hotel.

If he doesn't know that hotel, or pretends he doesn't know it, then tell him the street and soi.

Taxis were able to find hotels long time before mobile phones were invented. 

Have the phone number of the hotel at hand and let him talk to them if he has problems.

Some hotels also have name and directions in Thai language on their website. A printout can be helpful.

Many hotel names sound so similar, consist of same/similar words.

Good chance to mix it up.

Once a shared van drove in to Royal Cliff in Pattaya (high end luxury hotel) and I knew something is wrong. Of course a misunderstanding :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

lurid pink paintwork of a Bangkok taxi

Nothing to do with personal taste of driver or the like.

Taxis have some "color code". As far as I remember pink is a cab from a big company rented on a daily basis by driver.

Green/yellow is self-employed driver owning vehicle. Most recommend to stick to those.

Edited by KhunBENQ

If he doesn't know that hotel, or pretends he doesn't know it, then tell him the street and soi.

Look it up on google map and show him.  Unless you are going to a 2 star most of the authorized drivers know where the hotels are or will ask someone.

26 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Look it up on google map and show him.  Unless you are going to a 2 star most of the authorized drivers know where the hotels are or will ask someone.

What are authorized drivers?

And keep in mind that knowing where a hotel is a telling the passenger what the know is a difference. Some taxi drivers like to bring guests to hotels where they receive commissions. The easiest way for them to do this is to tell the passenger: "I don't know that hotel." or "that hotel is under renovation". I can recommend this place...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And keep in mind that knowing where a hotel is a telling the passenger what the know is a difference. Some taxi drivers like to bring guests to hotels where they receive commissions. The easiest way for them to do this is to tell the passenger: "I don't know that hotel." or "that hotel is under renovation". I can recommend this place...

Swampy has the auth taxis I just assumed that DM would have the same do they not.

As to hotels it amazes me that people will fall for those lines.  When I came here or any location, I made sure I had hotel reservations and that it was confirmed.  People that come here land and have no idea where they are going to stay blow my mind.

Now will the cabbie take a long way that is another story.  again google maps is great for keeping track of where they are going.

49 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Swampy has the auth taxis I just assumed that DM would have the same do they not.

As to hotels it amazes me that people will fall for those lines.  When I came here or any location, I made sure I had hotel reservations and that it was confirmed.  People that come here land and have no idea where they are going to stay blow my mind.

Now will the cabbie take a long way that is another story.  again google maps is great for keeping track of where they are going.

Ok, I have to admit the last time I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok was a few decades ago.

But in general about hotels in Thailand: Normally there is always something available. Having a reservation is nice. But having no reservation is no problem, there will be lots of options.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Ok, I have to admit the last time I stayed in a hotel in Bangkok was a few decades ago.

But in general about hotels in Thailand: Normally there is always something available. Having a reservation is nice. But having no reservation is no problem, there will be lots of options.

I agree but if you have no hotel you are asking for trouble with taxi

????

Google maps. Select your hotel to be shown on the map.  Surronding area will show land marks & such. Will be in Thai script. Take screen shot. Print.  If you feel the need highlight or circle your hotel in red. Give to taxi driver. I find works every time. Cheers.

On 3/29/2023 at 6:42 AM, norfolkandchance said:

Get a Bolt. The destination comes up on his phone.

Well organized, good service good rates. Check whether the driver assigned to your job acceps debit card, credit card etc. Some only accept cash. Best to know in advance.

And have the hotel telephone number handy for you or driver to call the hotel. 

On 4/3/2023 at 1:13 PM, kingstonkid said:

Me too; "People that come here land and have no idea where they are going to stay blow my mind."

I'm aware of an Aussie guy, the first several times he came to LOS was like this. Plus he chatted away all the trip million miles an hour in English, then shared he was angry taxi driver didn't listen to him.

Also, no booking, told the driver, in english 'Be sure the hotel is near a gay  massage parlour'. 

Second trip driver couldn't really understand him , the driver stopped on the entrance drive to a mid priced hotel on Suk 24, driver got out, demanded the passenger get out demanded the money on the meter, put the luggage on the driveway and drove away. 

Edited by scorecard

Before you depart write down the phone number of your hotel or put it in your mobile contacts.  If the driver does not know the location, you can call and they will explain the location in Thai to the driver.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Me too; "People that come here land and have no idea where they are going to stay blow my mind."

I did it when I was younger. All part of the adventure. The only "major" issue was on my very first visit, not knowing what to put as the address on the arrival card. The immigration officer was less than impressed when I tried to tell him that my plan was just to wander around and try and find somewhere to stay ????.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:30 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Get a Bolt and also give the Taxi driver the hotel phone number.

Am I the only one who never get a bolt ?...   (from home in BKK not the airport)... they’re never available or never take there ride... 

I’ve given up on Bolt and deleted the App !!!...   Is it just me ?

On 4/3/2023 at 11:41 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

30 years ago maybe.

when you were younger before the mobile phone i bet you could remember the phone number of lots of friends. 

now ? 

• Like 1