Bangkok airport taxi scammers

dj230

23 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

BKK has a revolving gate on the 4th/Departure floor so no one can walk out and flag a taxi that has just dropped off passengers.

it is easy to walk right through that 'gate'.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, TheAppletons said:

I flew into DMK yesterday from Malaysia (with checked luggage and a carry-on).  

A2 bus from DMK was 30 THB and the transfer to BTS at Mo Chit was 50 THB to my hotel.  

No scams involved.

Kasetsart BTS, 100bt taxi.

On 3/31/2023 at 2:19 AM, Eaglekott said:

Last 3 times the driver has been waiting inside their car and go out when they see you approaching it. And I pick the ticket from the ticketing machine by my self. At least at Suvarnabhumi, was so many years ago I flew to DMK so I do not remember.

Yeah, you can do them either way. All the info is on the certificate in the car. Any funny business you can still call the complaint number no matter what they do with the ticket anyhow.

1 hour ago, buick said:

it is easy to walk right through that 'gate'.

OK. The last bunch of times I went to Bangkok, I took the AirportLink from the airport and only took a taxi mid-day to the airport.

So I don't, as I prefer, have to deal at all with a taxi at the BKK airport.

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 4/6/2023 at 4:06 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

"Bangkok airport taxi scammers"

You were told how much they wanted to charge (albeit illegally) and you had the opportunity to reject their offers so there was no "scam".   

Interesting take on it, so if someone calls you pretending to be the IRS and asks for money but you reject their offer, they aren't considered scammers?

Is it like that saying where if you bang a ladyboy but don’t get banged it’s not gay? 

Edited by dj230
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, dj230 said:

You were told how much they wanted to charge (albeit illegally) and you had the opportunity to reject their offers so there was no "scam".   

Expand  

Interesting take on it, so if someone calls you pretending to be the IRS and asks for money but you reject their offer, they aren't considered scammers?

Is it like that saying where if you bang a ladyboy but don’t get banged it’s not gay? 

"...if someone calls you pretending to be the IRS and asks for money but you reject their offer, they aren't considered scammers?"

No, obviously, they would be scammers because they'd be potentially taking your money on false pretenses and you'd get nothing in return.   That's a scam. 

The taxi drivers offer a ride for a set price and the passenger gets exactly that, you may not like the fare but it wouldn't be scamming.   If the driver doubles the agreed price on arrival at the destination, that would be a scam.

"Is it like that saying where if you bang a ladyboy but don’t get banged it’s not gay?"

No, it's nothing like that.  What have your sexual proclivities got to do with taxi meters?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2023 at 10:47 AM, Eaglekott said:

On 3/31/2023 at 10:22 AM, Lemsta69 said:

OP used DMK not BKK.

Yes I know, I that is why I clearly stated Suvarnabhumi, can be a tip for someone that try to pick taxi on none official taxi stand. IMHO they should to something similar at Don Mueang.

After landing at Chiangmai  airport you can take the official taxi….  :whistling:

who’d have thunk……

On 3/31/2023 at 6:42 AM, Snugs08 said:

Can be busy to point of being impractical, if I just missed it, I used to walk through to international and get it from there.. as it picks up there first, but yeah it's a good option if you are  near the BTS and want to save money

"Impractical."

That's a really good word that I haven't heard in years.

Well Done.????????

Early August of last year and just the other day 5th of April, flight came in at midnight, instead of coming to Pattaya got a cheap place off Nana for the night. Both time after going downstairs getting Q number for myself hand carry and a check in luggage told the guy where I wanted to go both times quoted 500 baht, I told the guy a meter would be in the range of 280-320 baht. Both times now they pointed they needed to charge me for the bags, August it was 40 bahts this time it was 20-30 baht the guy couldn't decide.

That time of night one doesn't have to take the Toll, I looked at him told him nicely in Thai give a number that is reasonable he quoted me 350 and off we went.

On 3/31/2023 at 5:26 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This is the same as those inane responses complaining abut the price of a car here - do guys alway need to be reminded that at they are ’not in Kansas anymore’ ??????? ( a common used response to those who completely miss the point of a thread ).... 

In my home town I pay £250 for a taxi back home...  In Bangkok a the taxi’s are charging 500B

Thats 20x less...  the difference is the distances are longer, the vehicles are better, the driver is safer.... and its a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT Country !!!.....      ITs all irrelevant what happens elsewhere. 

A Taxi from DM into town probably included 80 bat in tolls... and about 280 to 320 baht on the meter. 

Anything else is the driver trying to pocket extra - which is fair enough IF the driver is running a private taxi and that is his quoted fair upon booking. 

BUT, a tourist arriving at the airport is expecting to pay the legal metered fee, the face a rip-off at the very first step upon entering Thailand potentially setting the tone for the rest of their vacation. 

------

Then, with the official Taxi’s....  some, the rear seatbelt doesn't work...  other’s want to take the 50b receipt (so you have no recurse for complaint if they’ve take that slip)...  entitles and Thainess slip through the gaps very quickly and it sends to a substandard service. 

I’ve had friends who have drivers fall as sleep and found the cars drifting lanes, pr drivers who want to stop off at the rest room (bathroom break), or need fuel etc....  

I dont want to watching every exit just incase the driver pulls off at the last second without warning thus embedding us into a 30-60m packet of gridlock traffic when we could have circumnavigated it on the toll way. 

-

No - it costs more - But is AOT limo all the way from me (its 1200 baht) but 99 % of potential issues are avoided...  you get the quickest route and just swtich off...

If you have unlimited money, 1200 baht may seem reasonable. For the rest of us plebs, a metered taxi does just fine.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Toby1947 said:

Come on you Cheap Charlie's 500 baht would get you in one door and out the other in London or any other Capital City. Get a life. 

I shared a 1200 THB taxi minus tolls to Pattaya from BKK recently. Usually a number of takers at that time of night. First Jomtien bus at 0700. Why wait? Just ask around the queues, anyone going my way?

On 3/30/2023 at 2:08 PM, dj230 said:

On grab it was 180 baht , I guess I should have mentioned that 

I’m assuming it would have included toll fees but I guess we’ll never find out 

Don't try the avoid the official taxi rank queue next time, then you get a metered taxi. 

.....and what if the meter is rigged?

I had that happen to me years ago. 

Every month for nearly 2 years I would take a taxi from the Laksi area to BKK. I always used a metered taxi. At that time the ride was around 300 THB. I always gave them 400 THB (the extra was a tip).

On one trip I took the meter was a little over 400 THB and we weren't even at the airport then, close but not there. When we did arrive at the airport I got out as well as the driver. Using my phone I took a pic of him and his taxi plate. He told me the fare was nearly 500 THB. I looked him in the eye and told him (in Thai) he cheated me. I handed him 300 THB and told him that is all I was going to pay him unless he wanted to go inside so we can talk to the Tourist Police. He took the 300 THB with a frown on his face and left.

4 hours ago, gwapofarang said:

Anybody remember the times before Suvhuvarnabum (Spelling sucks) landing in Don Muang? This "scam" was almost expected back then. Kinda funny how times change but they don't in many ways.

Yes and also remember the 60's before taxis were allowed on Don Muang AFB.  You bargained with a person driving non taxi plate vehicle with base sticker for transportation.  And played tag with police trying to stop these drivers as they raced to your hotel.   

1 hour ago, Spock said:

If you have unlimited money, 1200 baht may seem reasonable. For the rest of us plebs, a metered taxi does just fine.

I’d also be ok with a metered taxi, but they can be a hassle I don’t want after a long trip….  

Are people really concerned about the difference between $12 & $35 ?

I’m cheap and there’s a lot I won’t pay ‘extra’ for…an extra $23 for a guaranteed 100% hassle free trip in from the airport is not a tough choice IMO, Pleb or otherwise…. Some people sometimes get too close to the trees and can’t see the forest….

Edited by richard_smith237

52 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Don't try the avoid the official taxi rank queue next time, then you get a metered taxi. 

A mates mum arrived, he couldn’t pick her up (working)… The metered taxi took her all over Bkk on an 800 baht journey (which should have been 400 baht. 

Another mate arrived with family, the metered driver fell asleep at 100 kmh… the screamed as the driver veered towards the wall, drive woke up, incident averted.

Both now use AOT…  that’s not to suggest risk is completely eliminated, but the probability of fukwittery is significantly reduced. 

If on your own and you know bkk and the usual tricks then go for it and save a few baht.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/31/2023 at 6:42 AM, Snugs08 said:

Can be busy to point of being impractical, if I just missed it, I used to walk through to international and get it from there.. as it picks up there first, but yeah it's a good option if you are  near the BTS and want to save money

Since Covid I believe it now only picks up at International. At least, it did in October and December when I used it. I only use it to the BTS/MRT and both A1 and A2 will take me there and I've never had to wait more than a few minutes. Brilliant service.

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d also be ok with a metered taxi, but they can be a hassle I don’t want after a long trip….  

Are people really concerned about the difference between $12 & $35 ?

I’m cheap and there’s a lot I won’t pay ‘extra’ for…an extra $23 for a guaranteed 100% hassle free trip in from the airport is not a tough choice IMO, Pleb or otherwise…. Some people sometimes get too close to the trees and can’t see the forest….

True. But many of us don't like bring taken for a fool and being cheated. It's the principal. Out of fashion now, I know.

• Like 1

Just now, Bangkok Barry said:

True. But many of us don't like bring taken for a fool and being cheated. It's the principal. Out of fashion now, I know.

Agreed… but are you suggesting the AOT limos are cheating & taking passengers for fools because they charge more for better service ?

IMO it’s ‘some’ of the metered taxis who cheat and take passengers fir fools which is why some prefer to avoid them when there are reasonable alternatives. 

Liverpool Lou giving another classic example of being Liverpool Lou….

…. Arguing the technicality of a word rather than discussing the issue at hand.

& on that point - if all the taxi drivers are in cahoots and illegally refusing to use the meter and instead charging inflated rates, it’s a scam & the drivers are ‘scammers’… 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2023 at 1:18 PM, Eaglekott said:

At Suvarnabhumi use the official terminals to get a Taxi, no scams, you yet a ticket with license plate of the taxi in case you have problem, meeter + 50 Baht and some extra if your bag is very big.

Not always ,three weeks ago at so called official cab rank got ticket got in cab and straight up 500 bht no meter hopped out until it came down to something reasonable,I know the fare to my place and no tolls,I found it better to go to level 4 and pick up one there never had problem. I was just a bit lazy that day and found myself at the so called official rank.

On 3/30/2023 at 2:31 AM, TheAppletons said:

I flew into DMK yesterday from Malaysia (with checked luggage and a carry-on).  

A2 bus from DMK was 30 THB and the transfer to BTS at Mo Chit was 50 THB to my hotel.  

I would pay 500 baht to not have to haul around that luggage. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 3/30/2023 at 7:38 AM, JimTripper said:

Did the 500 include tollway fees or not?

Doesn’t matter, he’s ripping you off. For 500 baht you’d be way beyond Bangkok. I never get in a taxi if he’s tried to pull the no meter scam even if he changes his mind.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:35 AM, richard_smith237 said:

1) Just quote a flat fare (I get back out)

2) Pull up (doors locked) and open the window (I won’t even talk with them)

3) Pull Op, I open he door and ask (they say cannot)

4) Pull up, I get in, they drive off, refuse the meter, I tell them to stop and get out. 

5) Pull up, I get, state my direction, try to go a different direction, I have to demand they go in my direction (I’ve been here over 20 years and often know better than them).

6) Pull up, I get in, state my direction, driver clearly understands, asks me which route I want to take, and takes it, confirms before taking the exit I want... get to our direction without hassle, driver gets a nice tip. 

Me to a T.

8 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Come on you Cheap Charlie's 500 baht would get you in one door and out the other in London or any other Capital City. Get a life. 

Oh that line again. Bangkok isn’t London. Not wanting to be ripped off doesn’t doesn’t mean you’re a cheap Charlie, it means you’re smarter than someone who happily gets overcharged.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1