Bangkok airport taxi scammers

dj230

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d also be ok with a metered taxi, but they can be a hassle I don’t want after a long trip….  

Are people really concerned about the difference between $12 & $35 ?

I’m cheap and there’s a lot I won’t pay ‘extra’ for…an extra $23 for a guaranteed 100% hassle free trip in from the airport is not a tough choice IMO, Pleb or otherwise…. Some people sometimes get too close to the trees and can’t see the forest….

You could also use Grab for a lot less than 1200 and still avoid the hassle.

13 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Oh that line again. Bangkok isn’t London. Not wanting to be ripped off doesn’t doesn’t mean you’re a cheap Charlie, it means you’re smarter than someone who happily gets overcharged.

You are correct I hate it when posters compare prices to their country in your home country you properly make ten times as much as you can make in Thailand.

$100 to $150 per hour

Hourly rates for plumbers can be anywhere from $100 to $150 per hour, depending on the plumber. Understand that if you leave your plumber waiting, you are likely to be charged for that time.
Edited by still kicking
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A mates mum arrived, he couldn’t pick her up (working)… The metered taxi took her all over Bkk on an 800 baht journey (which should have been 400 baht. 

Another mate arrived with family, the metered driver fell asleep at 100 kmh… the screamed as the driver veered towards the wall, drive woke up, incident averted.

Both now use AOT…  that’s not to suggest risk is completely eliminated, but the probability of fukwittery is significantly reduced. 

If on your own and you know bkk and the usual tricks then go for it and save a few baht.

Who are you trying to quote? I always take the official taxi rank and never had a problem as i don't' try to save a few thb. I know the prices and won't pay  people who try to screw me. 

Edited by FritsSikkink

10 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Come on you Cheap Charlie's 500 baht would get you in one door and out the other in London or any other Capital City. Get a life. 

That’s true, but the price increases the less you complain. 500 becomes accepted, then they start asking for 1000. 

I got the official taxi ticket downstairs at Suvarnabhumi airport about 7 years ago, and did not notice the taxi had two meters. I had done the run to the same hotel in Silom a few times and it was always about 300 Baht on the meter, and I would give over the cash for the tolls. When we arrived at the hotel and the concierge came over to open my door ( 5 Star Hotel), I went to look at the meter to pay and it was 450 Baht, and the trip was as quick as the previous month. I then noticed the two meters with the normal legal one turned off and another shonky one below turned on. I complained to the concierge about it and he just shrugged, like a typical guttless slime bag. I just paid the higher fair, and never took a taxi again from the airport. On Thailand Elite now, so no longer an issue. But, always check there is only one meter in the taxi!

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

if all the taxi drivers are in cahoots and illegally refusing to use the meter and instead charging inflated rates, it’s a scam & the drivers are ‘scammers’… 

Maybe if all the drivers are not in cahoots, illegally refusing to use their meters, but they're not all doing it.

On 4/8/2023 at 10:36 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

"...if someone calls you pretending to be the IRS and asks for money but you reject their offer, they aren't considered scammers?"

No, obviously, they would be scammers because they'd be potentially taking your money on false pretenses and you'd get nothing in return.   That's a scam. 

The taxi drivers offer a ride for a set price and the passenger gets exactly that, you may not like the fare but it wouldn't be scamming.   If the driver doubles the agreed price on arrival at the destination, that would be a scam.

"Is it like that saying where if you bang a ladyboy but don’t get banged it’s not gay?"

No, it's nothing like that.  What have your sexual proclivities got to do with taxi meters?

But the caller is offering their services, you could just refuse it, why on earth would it be a scam? Lol

a taxi driver in bangkok is legally supposed to use a meter. charging 2-3x the price vs a meter is a scam

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Come on you Cheap Charlie's 500 baht would get you in one door and out the other in London or any other Capital City. Get a life. 

This is coming from you , old men are always grumpy and miserable 

On 4/1/2023 at 4:16 PM, Toby1947 said:

Says it all really Thais unfriendlist b#st#rds on the planet unless of course you're handing them money. 

Edited by dj230
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, dj230 said:

But the caller is offering their services, you could just refuse it, why on earth would it be a scam?

"why on earth would it [the IRS scam] be a scam?"

Because, ultimately, the caller is going to be stealing as much money as he possibly can from you, taxis drivers off the meter are not, and IRS scammers are not "offering a service", they are threatening those receiving the call.  That is why "IRS scammers" are scammers!

On 4/9/2023 at 11:00 AM, Liverpool Lou said:
On 4/8/2023 at 5:17 PM, richard_smith237 said:

if all the taxi drivers are in cahoots and illegally refusing to use the meter and instead charging inflated rates, it’s a scam & the drivers are ‘scammers’… 

Maybe if all the drivers are not in cahoots, illegally refusing to use their meters, but they're not all doing it.

IF you go though two or three...  and through exasperation end up resorting to taking a taxi that refuses to use meter and charges an elevated rate its a scam. 

How many more are you going to ask before you give up and just go with one?

A number of nights ago I gave up after about 10 taxis in a row all quoting fixed 300 baht prices for an 80 baht ride....  It's a scam.

As usual your nit-picking and arguing of minor technical facets is irrelevant - the headline calls them scammers because thats what they are. 

Edited by richard_smith237

I fell for the "no meter" scam once on my first visit to Thailand.

It was probably my own fault as I wasn't playing heads-up football, i.e., jumped in the taxi and didn't notice the absence of a meter until the car was already stuck in traffic on Sukhumvit.

In any event, I had to chuckle when all was said and done because the driver only asked for 200 THB (~$6 USD at the time) for a trip from JJ to Thonglor and acted like he'd gotten over on me. ????

On 3/30/2023 at 2:31 PM, TheAppletons said:

I flew into DMK yesterday from Malaysia (with checked luggage and a carry-on).  

A2 bus from DMK was 30 THB and the transfer to BTS at Mo Chit was 50 THB to my hotel.  

No scams involved.

Any sweat involved!

• Love It 1