So called Artificial Intelligence (AI)

scottiejohn

8 minutes ago, rose33 said:

You say I am being vague because I'm not talking about the concrete thing immediately in front of you.

You think I am 'stringing together' concepts because I have a large data set in my head (I read a lot) and therefore I'm able to draw broader comparisons, which add to understanding and therefore lead us toward better quality answers.

This is a thread about AI generally, and whether it exists as hyped. Mainstream media presents ChatGPT as having made leaps and bounds in its development in recent months. These reported recent developments in ChatGPT are prompting more discussion about AI in the general population. Hence the focus on it in this thread in April 2023.

No this thread is about whether AI exists or a marketing ploy. Your off to the races on moral and ethical grounds which may be valid down the road but not to whether it's real and exists or not. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Dan O said:

No this thread is about whether AI exists or a marketing ploy. Your off to the races on moral and ethical grounds which may be valid down the road but not to whether it's real and exists or not. 

My point exactly. 

I think it is clear that millions will lose their jobs, the question is how the world shall react to the future influx of unemployed people. We (as humanity at whole) need either to reduce the population or to introduce an Universal Basic Income.

As the COVID experiment went unsuccesful I believe the answer is the latter. And most likely UBI will be made not in a direct way like "just exist to get free money" because capitalists will rage their ass off, but in an indirect way of creating bullshít jobs like "earn by watching ads" or "earn by watching TikTok" or any similar way (like already implemented in Thailand and some other countries btw).

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Is that what you do with every article you read or share?

I asked ChatGPT about its IQ and it didn't answer that question. Google showed a couple of articles.

If you didn't do it already try ChatGPT. Ask it some complicated questions and read the responses. One or the other is maybe wrong, but in general this thing knows a lot and knows how to write quality programming code. It seems some people gave it the questions from some exams, and it seems to be good in most of them.

It's impressive. And that is just the start...

Some of these language based models have been trained on code to teach them logic apparently. Once these larger systems like ChatGPT reach 10^12 parameters they will be comparable in size to human brains. Although, arguably, with less connective complexity. 

28 minutes ago, zyphodb said:

They certainly should not be allowed to...

Don't worry it is just marketeer's being disingenuous with their use of the English language to dupe people!

I am not against what the Apps do.

I am totally against the "falsehoods" and misinformation around the marketing and use of the oxymoron "Artificial Intelligence"!

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 3:02 AM, fdsa said:

I think it is clear that millions will lose their jobs, the question is how the world shall react to the future influx of unemployed people. We (as humanity at whole) need either to reduce the population or to introduce an Universal Basic Income.

not sure it's ethical to be rolling out ChatGPT displacing workers without first rolling out an economic solution to solve unemployment.

UBI not likely until maybe 2030 ... and maybe not all countries. 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:41 PM, worgeordie said:

Well knowing the intelligence of some people , it should

not be that difficult to create a smarter machine , Smart

phones been a good example , I mean why do you have

to take a photo of every meal before you eat it , and I am

left wondering do they take another photo ,when it's gone

through them ....????

regards worgeordie 

Maybe they are communicating with friends and family back home who are interested. Perhaps you don’t have anyone who is interested in what you are doing. 

3 hours ago, NextG said:

Maybe they are communicating with friends and family back home who are interested. Perhaps you don’t have anyone who is interested in what you are doing. 

So that's it , let your family and friends know everything you are about to consume,

I don't want anybody interested in what I am doing ...

regards worgeordie

23 hours ago, worgeordie said:

So that's it , let your family and friends know everything you are about to consume,

I don't want anybody interested in what I am doing ...

regards worgeordie

Don’t want? Methinks you don’t have anyone interested in what you are doing. 
My friends and family are always interested in sharing. 
For instance, one of my friends had a dog who died on old age. I send her cute pictures of dogs. She loves that. She is also vegan, so I send her food ideas along the way. 
If you don’t have those kind of friends, don’t worry about it, but don’t criticise. Get on with your own life. 

2 hours ago, NextG said:

For instance, one of my friends had a dog who died on old age. I send her cute pictures of dogs. She loves that. She is also vegan, so I send her food ideas along the way. 
If you don’t have those kind of friends, don’t worry about it, but don’t criticise. Get on with your own life. 

There has to be more to life than sharing photos of food you are about to eat , surely,

OK , you keep on doing it if it makes you and others happy , the time before smartphones

when people actually talked to each other, everytime I go into a restaurant ,there are young

couples not ,lovingly looking in each others eyes , but each on their phone , only taking

interest in each other , when the food arrives , to take the mandatory photos...???? 

Banksy portrayed  it well ,in the picture of two lovers in an embrace, looking over their

shoulders at a phone in their hands , have you seen it ?  do you know who Banksy is ?

https://banksyexplained.com/mobile-lovers-2014-2/

regards worgeordie

Edited by worgeordie
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2023 at 11:59 PM, save the frogs said:

it's a computer in your pocket.

whatever information you need, you can look it up.

i wouldnt say there is nothing smart about it.

Errrr, I doubt I can find everything I want on a smart phone, as I often can't find something on google, and I guess that's what they use.

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

There has to be more to life than sharing photos of food you are about to eat , surely,

OK , you keep on doing it if it makes you and others happy , the time before smartphones

when people actually talked to each other, everytime I go into a restaurant ,there are young

couples not ,lovingly looking in each others eyes , but each on their phone , only taking

interest in each other , when the food arrives , to take the mandatory photos...???? 

Banksy portrayed  it well ,in the picture of two lovers in an embrace, looking over their

shoulders at a phone in their hands , have you seen it ?  do you know who Banksy is ?

https://banksyexplained.com/mobile-lovers-2014-2/

regards worgeordie

Who is Banksy? IMO he's a fiction invented by a group of artists that paint pictures in various countries in the same style.

In other words, it's a huge in joke.

IMO the real joke is that so many take it seriously.

3 hours ago, NextG said:

I think the point is that many don't seem to have a life outside an artificial bubble.

Real life is about more than looking at a stupid phone.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 8:02 PM, fdsa said:

As the COVID experiment went unsuccesful I believe the answer is the latter. And most likely UBI will be made not in a direct way like "just exist to get free money" because capitalists will rage their ass off, but in an indirect way of creating bullshít jobs like "earn by watching ads" or "earn by watching TikTok" or any similar way (like already implemented in Thailand and some other countries btw).

1/ I doubt any that intend to get rich off that diabolical scheme care about what happens to the unemployed as long as they get rich.

2/ I doubt governments want to even think about the consequences given they can't even run their countries properly without extra millions of unemployed and unemployable citizens getting "restless".

However it turns out I hope I'm not around to see what happens, as IMO it's not going to be good for anyone.

19 years ago I wrote the 'AI' SMS text-chat program called Natachata which the BBC stated was the best candidate for passing the Turing test. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3503465.stm

("The test was dreamed up by pioneering mathematician Alan Turing as a way to judge machine intelligence. It revolves around people and machines communicating via typed messages.

The machine would be judged intelligent if it could trick a human into thinking they were swapping text with another person. Turing thought that a machine could beat the Turing test by 2000.

TURING TEST

British scientist Alan Turing (1912-54) said if humans could be duped by computers into thinking they were talking to humans, the machines could be called 'intelligent'

He was wrong, but only by a few years.")

Well, my AI program was anything but 'intelligent', even though it fooled many people into believing that they were chatting with a real person.  A simple word/phrase manipulation program connected to a 100,000 word/phrase mySQL database.

Many people are raving about ChatGPT, but I haven't seen any detailed technical investigation of how this application actually works.  Anyone have links?

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

19 years ago I wrote the 'AI' SMS text-chat program called Natachata which the BBC stated was the best candidate for passing the Turing test. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3503465.stm

("The test was dreamed up by pioneering mathematician Alan Turing as a way to judge machine intelligence. It revolves around people and machines communicating via typed messages.

The machine would be judged intelligent if it could trick a human into thinking they were swapping text with another person. Turing thought that a machine could beat the Turing test by 2000.

TURING TEST

British scientist Alan Turing (1912-54) said if humans could be duped by computers into thinking they were talking to humans, the machines could be called 'intelligent'

He was wrong, but only by a few years.")

Well, my AI program was anything but 'intelligent', even though it fooled many people into believing that they were chatting with a real person.  A simple word/phrase manipulation program connected to a 100,000 word/phrase mySQL database.

Many people are raving about ChatGPT, but I haven't seen any detailed technical investigation of how this application actually works.  Anyone have links?

As women (generally) are better at reading human behaviour and interpreting complex verbal language, while men are (generally) better at analysing complex data, I wonder which group would perform better at first realising that their chat partner is a program and not a human. 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:41 PM, worgeordie said:

Well knowing the intelligence of some people , it should

not be that difficult to create a smarter machine , Smart

phones been a good example , I mean why do you have

to take a photo of every meal before you eat it , and I am

left wondering do they take another photo ,when it's gone

through them ....????

regards worgeordie 

On 3/31/2023 at 5:44 PM, scottiejohn said:

Totally agree!

There is nothing "smart" about a so called "Smart Phone" nor about many of their users!

Both correct. AI is a misnomer. There is nothing "intelligent" about computers. AI is about deeper and faster data retrieval and analysis. Modern computer allow for the faster processing of larger amounts of data, nothing more than that.

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Who is Banksy? IMO he's a fiction invented by a group of artists that paint pictures in various countries in the same style.

In other words, it's a huge in joke.

IMO the real joke is that so many take it seriously.

IMHO  , you are wrong , but opinions are like @rseholes everyone has one,

You seem to be saying he could not possible be a real person,as his art has

been found all over the World, I am sure he can afford to buy air tickets.

regards Worgeordies

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

https://writings.stephenwolfram.com/2023/02/what-is-chatgpt-doing-and-why-does-it-work/

in short: calculating the probability of the next word based on previous words.

2 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Both correct. AI is a misnomer. There is nothing "intelligent" about computers. AI is about deeper and faster data retrieval and analysis. Modern computer allow for the faster processing of larger amounts of data, nothing more than that.

What is "intelligence" then? Aren't we all retreiving, processing and analyzing the data with our biological sensors and biological CPU?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fdsa said:

What is "intelligence" then? Aren't we all retreiving, processing and analyzing the data with our biological sensors and biological CPU?

We have an organic brain, computers are electronic circuits. There isn't a valid comparison there. A bunch of wires (integrated circuits or not) will never be "intelligent".

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

We have an organic brain, computers are electronic circuits. There isn't a valid comparison there. A bunch of wires (integrated circuits or not) will never be "intelligent".

Which is the difference between an electronic circuit made of fat versus electronic circuit made of silicon? Is your organic CPU powered by Holy Light rather than the very same electricity?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I think the point is that many don't seem to have a life outside an artificial bubble.

Real life is about more than looking at a stupid phone.

How are you posting here? Looking at a ‘stupid computer/phone’?

Better you look to your own lives rather than to judge others by your ‘standard’.