Health insurance Non O and Non O-A

I used the just recently launched ChatGPT service < https://aseannow.com/thaivisa-chatgpt/ > to answer the question for me whether you can apply for a 1-year extension for reason of marriage based on your original Non Imm O-A Visa. 

Below the answer I got within 2 seconds...

Note that the last sentence provided by the Chatbot is not useful, as a Thai Embassy/Consulate would not be the right place to make the query, but rather it should be the Immigration Office of the province where you would be applying.

But nonetheless quite impressive that it came up with the correct answer.

Answer to Non Imm O-A Visa question.JPG

While above ChatGPT response is correct, don't totally rely on ChatGPT for answers.   When ChatGPT was announced on AseanNow this week I gave it a try.   

I asked three questions.....it got one right (can't remember what it was now).......couldn't answer one (dealt with the location of a small U.S. town....and I even gave it the U.S. state it was in on the second try)........and got one wrong (how many U.S. military services).      I then asked the same 3 questions on Google and got three correct responses on the first try.

Edited by Pib
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

@Pib - Many thanks for crystal clear explanation about this issue.

So that means that you could apply for the 1-year Non Imm O-A Visa in your home-country if you have foreign Health Insurance that meets the Non Imm O-A requirements. And then at the end of the 2-year period that Visa can provide you (without the need to park funds on a Thai bank-account), apply for the 1-year extension for reason of marriage.

Well - I agree it should be that way. but it was not for me in Phuket with Phuket immigration.  I suspect it depends on the immigration branch.

I entered some years back on a type-OA visa.   Prior to going for my 1st one year extension (for reason of retirement) the rules changed and one had to show Health Insurance from the Thai branch of a Health Insurance company (my superior in coverage and cheaper European insurance was not accepted).   When I went for my 1st one year extension (for reason of retirement) I was advised I needed Health Insurance from a Thai branch of an insurance company - and unlike some in Phuket (with different entry dates/stamps on their Type-OA visas than what I had) I did have to show the Health insurance (from Thai branch of an insurance company) according to Phuket immigration.

Well I thought no issue - so I immediately applied for my extension based on my being married to a Thai person.

Phuket immigration said NO. I could not do that on my 1st (one year) extension on a Type-OA, but could only 'switch' to marriage on my 2nd (one year) extension on a Type-OA.  I suspect this is a Phuket immigration unique rule - but there is no sense fighting city hall, so I purchased double health insurance that year and applied for the 1-year extension (for reason of retirement) on my Type-OA.

Fortunately the Health Insurance requirements were less then so I was able to purchase almost worthless health insurance (with a MASSIVE deductible) that was accepted by Phuket immigration that did not cost much. ... I did NOT want to give up my superior European Health insurance ...   Hence I obtained a one-year extension based on retirement on the Type-OA (again as noted I had to have health insurance from a Thai branch of an insurance company).  Fortunately I had maintained the 800k THB in my bank account during that year.

12-months later, when I went for my 2nd 1-year extension on my type-OA visa, this time I stated for reason of marriage, and they accepted that, with no Health Insurance requirement proof required. 

However the amount of paperwork, to obtain an extension for reason of marriage, GREATLY exceeds that of for reason of retirement, and further in the case of Phuket immigration, the time to obtain an approval for the 1-year extension (for reason of marriage) also GREATLY exceeds that for reason of retirement. 

So I eventually (months later after obtaining my 1-year extension for reason of marriage) , I left Thailand, invalidated my Type-OA visa, and re-entered tourist visa exempt, applied for and obtained a 90-day Type-O Visa (from Phuket Immigration) and two months later applied for and obtained a one-year extension on my permission to stay on the Type-O Visa for reason of retirement (no health insurance requirement proof needed).

My view is a Type-OA visa is no longer attractive if the Thai Health Insurance requirement is unsuitable to one's particular circumstance. Don't 'gamble' that a marriage extension will be accepted the 1st time one tries to get such. It was not for me in Phuket.

So in Thailand one never knows for certain - I think each immigration office has a degree of latitude in how they interpret the 'rules' and one has to be a bit careful in their planning. 

Edited by oldcpu
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

Phuket immigration said NO. I could not do that on my 1st (one year) extension on a Type-OA, but could only 'switch' to marriage on my 2nd (one year) extension on a Type-OA.  I suspect this is a Phuket immigration unique rule

That is pretty much universal.

You would have received same answer in most offices including CW. 

10 minutes ago, oldcpu said:

My view is a Type-OA visa is no longer attractive if the Thai Health Insurance requirement is unsuitable to one's particular circumstance. Don't 'gamble' that a marriage extension will be accepted the 1st time one tries to get such. It was not for me in Phuket.

So in Thailand one never knows for certain - I think each immigration office has a degree of latitude in how they interpret the 'rules' and one has to be a bit careful in their planning. 

Thanks for the write-up detailing your case with this issue as well as your sensible comments.

And after reading what you wrote, I now remember the Phuket Imm Office argumentation for not allowing to apply for a marriage extension on your first extension-application for the Non Imm O-A Visa. 

Their reasoning being that the Non Imm O-A Visa is a different type Visa than the Non Imm O (which is correct).  And since the Non Imm O-A Visa is meant for 'retirement' their argument is that you can only use that reason when doing your first extension application. And once you have done so, on your NEXT application you can then switch to a different reason (e.g. marriage or dependant children).  

That was and probably still is the Phuket Imm Office stance on the issue.  So you are fully correct that it would be wise to enquire at your local Imm Office how they would handle an extension for reason of marriage for a Non Imm O-A Visa, when you plan to do this.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

That was and probably still is the Phuket Imm Office stance on the issue

Nothing to do with Phuket office.

I posted earlier that most if not all offices will insist on the FIRST extension from a non O-A must be based on retirement.

Subsequent extensions can be based on marriage

• Like 1