Thai forest fires worsen pollution that’s left 2 million ill

webfact

image.jpeg
A forest fire in Nakhon Nayok province, northeast of Bangkok, on Thursday | THAI NEWS PIX / VIA AFP-JIJI

BLOOMBERG

Raging forest fires in northern Thailand are threatening to worsen the country’s air pollution, which has sent nearly 2 million people to hospitals with respiratory illnesses since the beginning of the year.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha on Thursday ordered urgent steps to put out forest fires in Nakhon Nayok province to the east of Bangkok and those in the country’s northern region including popular tourist destination Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai, according to government spokesman Anucha Burapachasri.

Firefighters and other officials have been deployed to monitor the affected areas, as burning of farmlands and illegal foraging occur during this time of the year, Anucha said in a statement on Thursday.

A mountain known as Khao Laem in Nakhon Nayok that was engulfed in flames since Wednesday has been brought under control, the government said late on Thursday. Several wildfires are also reported from protected forests in Thailand’s north, with several hotspots across the borders in neighboring Myanmar and Laos, a satellite heat map by a Thai space agency showed.

Full story: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/03/31/asia-pacific/thailand-forest-fires-pollution/

image.png

-- © Copyright The Japan Times 2023-04-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

• Sad 1

That are more people than with Covid.... but alas who cares?? surely not the Government who did not do anything about it in the past years, and the ones who makes the fires, forest , ricefields or sugarcanefields, don"t care either

• Thumbs Up 1

In some parts of the world local people are paid to preserve the environment, usually meaning paid to not cut down forests.  Has anyone ever considered paying Thai farmers to not burn their fields and villages to not burn surrounding forests?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

19 hours ago, mania said:

Because truthfully anyone who thinks this will end anytime soon is hopeful at best

Mostly people are waiting for the weather to rescue them.. bring on the rainy season......

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Mostly people are waiting for the weather to rescue them.. bring on the rainy season......

Yes & if it were one year that would be hopeful

But year to wait for that year after year after year is delusional

Edited by mania
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Tarteso said:

????

Just like he promised to do something about the bad air   in Thailand at the s  global warming  meeting    in Scotland last year......just wonder when he  will start 

• Haha 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:32 AM, worgeordie said:

2 Million + 2 , my wife and I are ill with the pollution ,and have never

been asked or counted , many more I suspect.

regards Worgeordie

I ended up in the hospital this year thanks to the air pollution in Bangkok. My allergies were so bad it was like I had a perpetual cold/ sinus infection that just grinded me down until the regular over the counter medicines couldn't cut it. After about a week on the meds, I was feeling much better. But I think the end of the burning season had as much to do with my recovery as anything else.

Your family has my sympathies

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/1/2023 at 10:08 AM, webfact said:

Prayuth Chan-ocha on Thursday ordered

If I had a Baht ever time I've read this, not only would I be a millionaire by now, but Thailand would also be perfect. Unfortunately, neither is the case, so what does this tell us about his "orders"? 

In all my years have never witnessed this magnitude of forest/bush fires in country.......most of which have origins from the traditional practice of field burning. Most will never learn.

I'm saddened and disgusted.

• Thumbs Up 2

Unpleasant at my place last night.... 

A senior monk at the temple nearby died some 3 years ago.... we just had the funeral and cremation over the last 3 days. Been getting noisy fireworks for  3 days, twice a day.. but the actual  cremation was done last night. As he was of high standing it was done 'traditional style', not in the big oven. Smoke and smell was none too pleasant!

On 4/1/2023 at 5:32 AM, worgeordie said:

2 Million + 2 , my wife and I are ill with the pollution ,and have never

been asked or counted , many more I suspect.

regards Worgeordie

In what area are you located?