getting a tourist visa outside my contry

You have several options:

1. First, have you applied for an (automatic) 30-day extension of your current tourist entry at the local immigration office.
  2. Do a border bounce (probably at a land crossing) to get a 30-day visa exemption. The best way of doing this will depend on your current location.
  3. Vientiane and Savannakhet Laos are good places to get tourist visas. Vientiane is easily and quite cheaply reached by air or overland. However, you need an appointment to apply there, so you need to have planned this in advance. At Savannakhet, although the town has a small airport, you really need to enter via land from the Thai town of Mukdahan. This consulate is extremely busy on Mondays and Thursdays. Apply Tuesday or Wednesday.
  4. Yangon (Myanmar) is OK, and travelling there and back is not as painful as it was a few months ago.
  5. Phnom Penh (Cambodia), Penang, Kuala Lumpur and Kota Bharu (Malaysia) and Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) are all potential places to get Thai tourist visas, but have drawbacks.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was wondering the same thing. Applying for a 60 day tourist  visa in Japan is ridiculous - you need to submit 10 separate documents, including a guarantor and proof of employment. Much easier from SE Asian countries.

Potentially, could I enter on visa exempt for 30 days, renew for 30, leave the country, get a 60 day tourist visa, then renew IT for 30days. Total stay of 5 months. Feasible?

7 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Potentially, could I enter on visa exempt for 30 days, renew for 30, leave the country, get a 60 day tourist visa, then renew IT for 30days. Total stay of 5 months. Feasible?

Yes.

Be aware that few Thai consulates require an appointment.

Example Vientiane, Saigon etc

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

If planning this well in advance, you can easily get a tourist visa in Vientiane Laos. You need an appointment to apply there, and will not be able to do so if you only decide a week or two in advance that this is your best option.

• Love It 1