45 day visa waiver finished, back to 30 days on arrival

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Malaya is a fantastic place to chill, in fact far better than Thailand regarding food, transport, beaches, safety and a lot more...it's a tally cheaper than Thailand..except for booze and fags

If it checks all your boxes, that's fine. Let's just say that after several months working in Malaysia over the past dozen years, I beg to differ but maybe your boat floats differently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SpanishExpat said:

They are simply stupid!! Would have been no bureaucratic effort for them to extend it. Even if 30 days is still enough for most tourists, post-covid a country should do everything possible to thrive tourism.

Never understood why Thailand is so strict about that, while countries like Malaysia give a 90 days exemption entry.

Tell me how a caretaker government, which has no true power can pass new laws or extend waivers without it costing the government money, simple answer they can't, but you folks believed they could....laughable. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Polaky said:

They should reduce it to 14 days, fresh new notes arriving every fortnight instead of every month, no tourists comes in for 30 days, they don't get 30 days holiday a year, 4 weeks Max, and why would you want to spend your entire 4 weeks every year in Thailand of all places, unless your ugly and hard up for a woman.

Yes, ordinary tour-package tourists don't come for 1 month and more - but long stay people who can afford it, - do! 

And they spend minimum 20 000 baht per month: they rent property, they eat food, they shop - which is good for Thai economy and just better than nothing anyway. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Most tourist coming to Thailand only need 5 to 10 days at most, 30 days is too much for the majority.

Exactly. My daughters are coming to visit in a few weeks and their jobs only allow 2 weeks of paid vacation a year as they have been working now for under 5 years at their current jobs, next year they will get a third week added as they will be into the next tier.  By the time they have 20 years with the company, provided they are still working for them they will have 6 weeks a year they can take. If they want to take time off other than what they are given then it is unpaid, and they can not afford that at this point in time.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Most tourist coming to Thailand only need 5 to 10 days at most, 30 days is too much for the majority.

You're wrong, people from Europe stay an average of 17-18 days.

That's average, which means half of European arrivals stay longer.

Dropping to 15 days visa exempt would mean essentially losing half of European tourists!

Source:  

Screenshot 2023-04-01 154544.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, CanadaSam said:

That's average, which means half of European arrivals stay longer.

Dropping to 15 days visa exempt would mean essentially losing half of European tourists!

Not quite, if it was the mean then yes, but not average. No doubt snowbirds are included in those figures which would skew the data.

24 minutes ago, moogradod said:

Correct. But 3-4 weeks is very usual for the working class. Better jobs in Switzerland get 5 weeks free. When I visisted the University, holidays were very long. Enough to make some pocket money and then travel. My first trip to Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore was 6 weeks long. No idea what kind of visa I needed. I think even none, but this is a very long time ago. The 45 day time span does not hurt anybody. It is therefore really stupid to cut it.

On the other hand what would disturb if the Visa Exempt was 90 days ? Nothing.

They did not cut the 45 day time, it was given for a 6 month period of time only and it ended yesterday the 31st of March, what is so hard to understand.  It was for a limited time and the current caretaker government could not extend it, simple.  Maybe after a new government is in they will up the duration of stay time to 45 days and make it permanent, but I doubt it very much.  I remember in 2010 when I applied for my Non Imm O visa at the consulate in Loas Angeles it was free and no money was needed.  This was also done to bring tourists in during the 2010 high season, and it was also canceled after 6 moths. Nothing is permanent unless it says so in the immigration law, and then it is only changed by a new decree which is posted in the royal gazette after the top man signs it into law. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

What a bunch of morons they are, how do you attract tourists to your country?? You make rules and regulations as attractive as sensible to pending tourists but these clowns try and make it harder with their constant stupid rule changes. And this hotel reporting business is such another stupid pointless waste of time, wake up Thailand! 

So no where else in the world reports tourists staying in there hotels. Myanmar and others are just like Thailand.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BestB said:

All the neighboring countries including Vietnam looking to relax and extend visa's to attract more tourism, but Thailand does the opposite.

I fully understand most tourists do not need more than 30 days, but having them also does not hurt considering they are bringing money and spending money

Maybe there are statistics showing that tourists (or any non-resident foreigners for that matter) spend much less per day between days 31-45 than between days 1-30? Remember, what is wanted here is money money money, and there are always suspicions that non-Thais are not seen as desirable....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

If it checks all your boxes, that's fine. Let's just say that after several months working in Malaysia over the past dozen years, I beg to differ but maybe your boat floats differently.

Same experience here, after a while working in M. I was ready to move up to Thailand, so much more exciting and worth putting up with some of the well-known "Thailand eccentricities"

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

Not quite, if it was the mean then yes, but not average. No doubt snowbirds are included in those figures which would skew the data.

I think the word you were looking for was "median", not "mean". The arithmetic mean is basically the same as average.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Polaky said:

They should reduce it to 14 days, fresh new notes arriving every fortnight instead of every month, no tourists comes in for 30 days, they don't get 30 days holiday a year, 4 weeks Max, and why would you want to spend your entire 4 weeks every year in Thailand of all places, unless your ugly and hard up for a woman.

You must be the “hansum man”! the bar girls call out to 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Pdavies99 said:

And who would ever consider going to that badly run Immigration at Jomtien for an extension!

Not a chance!

Indeed. The line of farangs that often stretches down and around a few blocks from Jomtien immigration still hasn't clued those guys into realizing there's a whole rest of the country to be lived in. I'm in and out of my shiny new Issan imm office 5-10 mins, every time.

And geez, if you've really gotta have bars, ladies, beaches: 1) other provinces got em, 2) you can live in another province, deal with their far more favorable imm, then go visit Patts if you really need to.

• Like 2