Fees for cardless withdrawal coming

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Once was caught with lack of cash at TOPS.

And that was easy like at an ATM.

Insert ATM card to device, enter pin and OK.

But this method is not too widespread?

That's a debit card they're used everywhere with no problem

Debit cards cost 2-300 baht a year in fee, and getting cash at ATMs out of province/out of network incur 20 baht charge each withdrawal

The bank apps are (for now) free to use to get cash out, no other province charge, and merchant can accept transfer for free or almost next to nothing for business account, getting a machine to swipe cards charge up to 3% for small business plus monthly cost

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Certainly it takes longer than pulling out a thousand, sometimes phone is slow, can't focus on QR code etc, i agree you have to be in the banking app, password, fingerprint before finishing filling the bags

Sometimes "progress" is overstated. Once plastic cards finally came with imbedded security chips (to prevent cloning), and once we were briefed to scratch out that CVV number on the back (so your friendly waiter can't copy your info to do future "card not present" purchases), then plastic became the way to go. No fiddling around with a phone, with a growling "low bat" signal. And, of course, for the older, cataract infested crowd, no hiccups due to vision problems.

Certainly don't recommend debit cards, if you have a credit card (easier to get relief from a bad/illegal purchase). And with my US bank issued credit card, which rides the Visa network, I get the modified interbank rate, which is higher than the TT rate, which is what you get for that SWIFT transfer that presumably is what's financing your Thailand bank account. And that SWIFT transfer came with fees, both front and back end -- my credit card has NO fees, bank or network. And it gives me a 2.5% cash  back for every transaction.

No, I think I'll stick with plastic for purchases -- less hassle and more profit. But, I guess, someday QR will be mandatory -- just like those self checkout counters popping up all over supermarkets in the States -- being advertised as "progress."

16 minutes ago, DrJoy said:

An ATM/debit card can easily be copied whereas QR code withdrawal is fool proof.

A chipped debit/atm/credit card CANNOT be cloned. Yes, some really slick fellas manufactured plastic cards with an inoperative chip inserted, causing some card readers to revert to the "chip broken" mode and, yes, reverting to the magnetic stripe mode, which can be subverted. Now, if the merchant allows this fallback mode, he's responsible for the fraud.

Anyway, I'm sure we'll be there someday. But QR purchasing still is not foolproof (couldn't read scotties' WSJ article poo pooing QR, as didn't want to subscribe). DC article was informative.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, KhunBENQ said:

But please: can someone educate Thai people that you can prepare for online payment.

And not start digging for the phone only after the cashier has finished the cart.

Agree, though the banks should also optimize their apps for the QR code payment flow.

I just tested KTB Next on WiFi and it shows the splash screens for five full seconds, after this, it shows an ad banner that I have to dismiss. On cellular, I think the splash screen may take even longer, I really don’t get what the app is doing.

KPlus is worse in the sense that when I open it, it will often show a dialog asking if I want to continue my session. If I select No, the app is just killed and I have to launch it again. If I select Yes, it will spend a few seconds trying to login, but will often fail, and then I can do what it is, that I want to do in the app.

Granted, for both of the apps mentioned, you can select SCAN from their home screen menu, and it will skip some of the above, but with KPlus it will activate camera and let you scan a QR code and then it may show an error, because it tried to continue a session that had timed out, in fact, it shows this error twice, and then you have to go over the entire process again (after you login with biometrics or password).

Contactless payments (via NFC) is a much better solution, but there is definitely room for improvements regarding how QR code payments are handled by some banking apps.

Another thing that frustrates me is how everyone wants their own system. MRT, BTS, and Airport Link have 3 different contactless payment systems, and same does all the different food courts in Thailand. 7-Eleven accepts Apple Pay, True Wallet, but neither PromptPay QR or Thai debit cards (even those with VISA/MasterCard logo), except for UOB (I think).

I understand this is about wanting control and fees, but that is where governments needs to step in.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

So they push electronic banking, because it saves them money, and now they're thinking of new ways to charge you, for helping save them money ... :coffee1:

Once there's a cashless society, do you think there will be more fees or less fees in the future to access 'your' money ?

The ultimate control over you.   

... no vaccine shot ... NO MONEY

... unacceptable social media post ... NO MONEY 

You just can't fix stupid :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:05 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I can't find the more recent thread about this but Bangkok Bank will be charging for cardless withdrawals using Kasikorn app from June

Do you have a link for this news?

3 minutes ago, Everyman said:

Do you have a link for this news?

It was discussed here when Kbank-BBL can do cardless withdrawal with each other

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It was on the ATM machine this week when I did a withdrawal, fees per withdrawal are coming

If there is, I hope it’s not for BBL users using BBL ATMs. It’s saved me a lot money since I live in a different province than my account and I make frequent small withdrawals.

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

If there is, I hope it’s not for BBL users using BBL ATMs. It’s saved me a lot money since I live in a different province than my account and I make frequent small withdrawals.

No it's Kasikorn users using BBL ATMs cardless withdrawal 

On 4/1/2023 at 7:54 PM, digbeth said:

The fee will be 10 baht per transaction

That will be 30 to 50B per year for me, no big deal.

I have not been carrying any ATM card for years and I don't miss them.

I just withdraw money from my Bangkok Bank account from a KBANK ATM and didn’t receive a corresponding message about a fee. I would think that if BBL is going to charge KBANK customers 10 baht to use cardless then KBANK will charge BBL customers the same.

I guess we’ll find out in about a week, anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Everyman said:

I just withdraw money from my Bangkok Bank account from a KBANK ATM and didn’t receive a corresponding message about a fee. I would think that if BBL is going to charge KBANK customers 10 baht to use cardless then KBANK will charge BBL customers the same.

I guess we’ll find out in about a week, anyway. 

If you did it the other way around it would have been a good test

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2024 at 10:05 AM, scubascuba3 said:

I can't find the more recent thread about this but Bangkok Bank will be charging for cardless withdrawals using Kasikorn app from June

Did you mean June 1st? I’m still not being charged a fee at Kasikorn.

IMG_5893.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Everyman said:

That looks like the Bangkok Bank app.  scubascuba3 was referring to charges using the Kasikorn app (at a BBL ATM).

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, treetops said:

That looks like the Bangkok Bank app.  scubascuba3 was referring to charges using the Kasikorn app (at a BBL ATM).

You’re right but  I assumed it would go both ways. Otherwise it’s an advantage for a BBL account, although a minor one. 

1 hour ago, Everyman said:

You’re right but  I assumed it would go both ways. Otherwise it’s an advantage for a BBL account, although a minor one. 

I think it will before long.

They've already programmed a field for fees in the app you can see in your screenshot so they must have had something in mind when they did that.

6 hours ago, Everyman said:

IMG_5893.jpeg

As i mentioned above it was using Kasikorn app at Bangkok Bank ATM, i vaguely recall 8 June kick off

On 4/2/2023 at 8:01 PM, scottiejohn said:

For financial transactions?

What an easy way to loose money and phone data!

please explain