How much to charge for proof reading? Private English lessons for corporate/private?

Donoff

I'm a new lecturer at a university in Bangkok and sometimes get requests for proof reading and private lessons for IELTS and once for English classes for a small international company. I have no idea what is a fair price. Rather than post separate threads for each situation, I'm putting them together in one post. I would really appreciate your suggestions since most of the information I found online is outdated or doesn't fit my situation:

1) how much to charge per word for proof reading a thesis/academic paper for a graduate student/ teacher?  One time I charged .6 baht per word (1200 baht for 2000 word article) and not sure if I'm under selling myself because it was very time consuming to edit the grammar for almost EVERY sentence. BTW I have a background in academia, but I'm not editing for content. Just for grammar, readability, formatting, etc.

2) how much to charge per hour for teaching business English classes for an international company? I imagine 2 to 3 hours per week. I would supply whatever materials needed. A Japanese/Thai business approached me to teach English classes, but I'm not sure what to ask for.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Cheers!

its insane to charge by the word for editing -- every piece of writing has different issues and it can take minutes or days to untangle the mess created by people writing in a second language,  

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, n00dle said:

its insane to charge by the word for editing -- every piece of writing has different issues and it can take minutes or days to untangle the mess created by people writing in a second language,  

Honestly, I am pretty slow when it comes to proofreading so I didn't think to charge by the hour. That's something I could reconsider. That being said, what would you recommend per hour for academic article/thesis?

Just now, Donoff said:

Honestly, I am pretty slow when it comes to proofreading so I didn't think to charge by the hour. That's something I could reconsider. That being said, what would you recommend per hour for academic article/thesis?

I have no idea what local rates are and I don't do academic work.

As a freelance business writer I charge between 100 and 125 USD per hour.  $250 is my minimum for taking a project on.

• 2 months later...

ChatGPT went live in very late 2022. From there forward this work is on its way to obsolescence.

https://chat.openai.com/

> Check punctuation and grammar

Then there's Grammarly as well as an explosion of AI checkers.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:54 AM, n00dle said:

Truer words never spoken.

• Like 1

When doing extra work, I charged 1-2,000 an hour.

I worked at universities in Bangkok 20-30 years ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rate hasn't gone up much. 

Depends also on how prestigious the uni is.