£ Pound to Baht

Help me understand this better, you are upset apparently because a forecast that somebody (unnamed) made (who knows when) didn't come true today, really? And because of this, you think your gut feel is more accurate than any considered analytical view, really?

The best I can do for you my friend is to give you an overview assessment of how Baht exchange rates are derived and leave you conclude whatever you want to conclude, which on the basis of what you have written so far, will almost certainly be wrong.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

If 

11 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

21 years ago when I first visited Thailand the pound was at 66 and I've seen it as high as 75.  Events such as Brexit have driven it down over the long term but the value of all other major western currencies has also fallen against the baht. 

The expert who claims he doesn't want to be an expert is catastrophically wrong.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't think it's the pound (or any other western currency).

Think it's the Baht that fell in the late 1990s, and has recovered since then.

Previous to that it was always 35bht to 1gbp.

I hadn't realised that but that makes a lot of sense. 

It appears that, once again without any scientific proof ????, that 42 is the new 35.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I hadn't realised that but that makes a lot of sense. 

It appears that, once again without any scientific proof ????, that 42 is the new 35.

I hate to state the obvious but the Asian crash was in the 1990's so yes, the Baht did fall in value from a fixed rate to a floating rate, in 1997 hence the 25 (US) and 35 (GBP). 

But what Britman didn't say is that the Pound also has fallen in value against USD since after the second world war, consequently it has been falling against THB as well. To be clear, when I say falling, I refer to long term trend rather than any ups and downs that form part of intraday/week/month trading. Sooo, Pound trending down against USD over the longer term, THB trending up against USD over the longer term and Baht trending up against GBP, over the longer term.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Don't think it's the pound (or any other western currency).

Think it's the Baht that fell in the late 1990s, and has recovered since then.

Previous to that it was always 35bht to 1gbp.

It was 44 baht to the pound when I first came in 1994.