Bangkok Bank

1 minute ago, OJAS said:

Adherence to the official rules is dependent on 3 things:- (1) the particular immigration office with which you deal, (2) the particular officer within that office with whom you deal on a particular occasion, and (3) most crucially, which side of the bed said officer had got out of that morning.

Pretty much what I said, wasn't it?  (..........unless some IOs are different than others)

I've been doing the Retirement extension for 13 years now and have done so at 3 different IOs, having various officers and every time it's been the same. 

If any officer gives me a problem or states something different I would just show them multiple places where it's stated:

image.png.7378540d4cfa9ae4b8395b8722a1ef5a.png

image.png.ebb7e3cc89740f4ba2328b6c88f21ced.png

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Pretty much what I said, wasn't it?  (..........unless some IOs are different than others)

No it wasn't, you also said  "Not sure why some are saying 800k must be 3 months prior to applying.."

Why did you choose to include that particular statement if you already knew the reason for it?!!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, OJAS said:

No it wasn't, you also said  "Not sure why some are saying 800k must be 3 months prior to applying.."

Why did you choose to include that particular statement if you already knew the reason for it?!!

Please re-read my original post (slowly) as well as the one you replied to. Here, I'll quote it again for you,

"..........unless some IOs are different than others"

I included that statement because it amazes me how some allows Immigration to walk all over them. Like I said, if an IO states something different then show them facts (the laws and rules).

13 years 3 different IO and never anything different than what the rules state. I guess I am lucky!

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2023 at 11:13 AM, dddave said:

It actually depends on where you opened your account.  To get the one year statement can take 5 working days if requested from a Bangkok Bank branch in another province from the branch where you opened your account.  Timing can be crucial because when applying for your extension at immigration, the statement can not be more than a certain number of days old.  Sorry, I do not recall the exact number of days, I think 3 but not sure.  

Many Provinces want Same Day everything.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

A 12 MONTH statement in 20min from BKB ?

Believe he said letter - not statement.  Not the same thing.  Letters of account ownership/balance can be provided in minutes. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

So how do they know you have kept 400K all year ?

That's why they require a 12 month statement.

It's been posted before, two items are needed:

- 12 month statement (which takes BKB days to provide)

- Letter stating you have an account with them (which they can provide in a matter of minutes, depending on the queue that day you make the request)

12 hours ago, proton said:

Never been asked for a statement just a simple letter with the balance, must vary from office to office like a lot of other things

The Bank Account Statement or 'letter', is a document that can be created on the spot by your Bank and it shows Ownership of the account, as well as the Balance.

But that document alone is not sufficient, as your Immigration Office also wants you to show evidence that you never slipped below the tressholds of 800K and 400K in the 12 months preceding your application for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

And there it is that the difference between Immigration Offices appear, as some simply want to see your updated Bank Pass-book (and of course copies of all the pages with transactions during those 12 months), so that hey can check that requirement. 

However, if you have a Savings Account and you do not regularly update your Pass-book, some Banks - to save space in the Pass-book - consolidate the transactions you made in the previous period in one entry on the Pass-book.  And then Immigration will not be able to check if you met the +400K/+800K during that consolidation period.  And that's the reason that some offices require on top of the Bank Account Statement (ownership and balance) and an updated Passbook, also want you to provide a Bank Transactions Statement as issued by your Bank as such Transactions Statement will show ALL transactions you made during the 12 month period.  

Of course the sensible thing to do would have been to ONLY require such Bank Transactions Statement in the odd case when one or more of the transactions in your Bank Pass-book have been consolidated.  But instead some offices have made such a Statement required, even if you have a Fixed Deposit Account or when none of the transactions on your Savings Account have been consolidated (it's only some Thai banks that do this).

So to tackle that odd exception, Immigration created a difficulty for ALL applicants as many Banks need to order such Bank Transactions Statement from Headquarters (as the local branche often only has access to the last 6 months of your transactions). 

Crazy Thai bureaucracy!

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

The Bank Account Statement or 'letter', is a document that can be created on the spot by your Bank and it shows Ownership of the account, as well as the Balance.

But that document alone is not sufficient, as your Immigration Office also wants you to show evidence that you never slipped below the tressholds of 800K and 400K in the 12 months preceding your application for the 1-year extension of your Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

And there it is that the difference between Immigration Offices appear, as some simply want to see your updated Bank Pass-book (and of course copies of all the pages with transactions during those 12 months), so that hey can check that requirement. 

However, if you have a Savings Account and you do not regularly update your Pass-book, some Banks - to save space in the Pass-book - consolidate the transactions you made in the previous period in one entry on the Pass-book.  And then Immigration will not be able to check if you met the +400K/+800K during that consolidation period.  And that's the reason that some offices require on top of the Bank Account Statement (ownership and balance) and an updated Passbook, also want you to provide a Bank Transactions Statement as issued by your Bank as such Transactions Statement will show ALL transactions you made during the 12 month period.  

Of course the sensible thing to do would have been to ONLY require such Bank Transactions Statement in the odd case when one or more of the transactions in your Bank Pass-book have been consolidated.  But instead some offices have made such a Statement required, even if you have a Fixed Deposit Account or when none of the transactions on your Savings Account have been consolidated (it's only some Thai banks that do this).

So to tackle that odd exception, Immigration created a difficulty for ALL applicants as many Banks need to order such Bank Transactions Statement from Headquarters (as the local branche often only has access to the last 6 months of your transactions). 

Crazy Thai bureaucracy!

Samut Prakan only want the simple letter and photo copies of bank book, unless the rules have changed in the past few months, CW also only wanted that last time I got an extension there in 2011. But they wont give you a line number without showing a TM30 print out

Edited by proton

2 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

What happens if one doesn't routinely update their bank book? Thus the 12 month statement requirement!

You have to update the book on the day you apply for an extension put in 100 baht and get the bank to copy the book. They have the book, copies and the letter, why would they need statements?

Just now, proton said:

You have to update the book on the day you apply for an extension put in 100 baht and get the bank to copy the book. They have the book, copies and the letter, why would they need statements?

Updating your bank book showing the current balance for THAT day does not show them that your account never dropped below 400k throughout the year, does it?

24 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

Updating your bank book showing the current balance for THAT day does not show them that your account never dropped below 400k throughout the year, does it?

It does by looking at the bank book, as long as they can read! where in the rules does it say they want 12 month statements if you are going the 800k route? my account never drops below anyway

Edited by proton

11 minutes ago, proton said:

It does by looking at the bank book, as long as they can read! where in the rules does it say they want 12 month statements if you are going the 800k route? my account never drops below anyway

@protonYour question answered in this post >

40 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Crazy Thai bureaucracy!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, proton said:

UNCLE!!!!   (Good Luck!)

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2023 at 1:08 PM, yeahbutif said:

Would be nice to know what the letter says? Does it say you have a sum of 800.000 in bank @ or does it say you have maintained a balance above 800.000 for 3 months?  Or what?

The letters I got over the past years from Bangkok Bank for 100 baht only stated the balance, when the account was opened, and my full name.

The +800k over the past 3 months are ascertained on the basis of your savings book. This could be problematic if you haven't been in Thailand for months. How far back can the update machine go when it comes to printing a delailed list of transactions?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

UNCLE!!!!   (Good Luck!)

Going next month and expect it to the same as the last 17 years, book, letter and copies of book. Will let you know if they send me off for a pointless statement

30 minutes ago, proton said:

Going next month and expect it to the same as the last 17 years, book, letter and copies of book. Will let you know if they send me off for a pointless statement

Pointless....pffft.....  

I could care less if they send you off for a statement. (This is the Internet, how is one to know you would be truthful?)

I would like to ask though out of curiosity, what IO have you been using for the past 17 years?

I was referring to the bank letter showing the one-year activity where the balance didn't drop below the minimum requirement.  Must be no more than seven days old.  I also make a 100 TB deposit and update my passbook the same day I'm going to the I/O so that also shows the balances for the year.  I get the letter you refer to at the same time.

• Like 1

how come a 12 month statement in 2023 takes a week...

how come the bank cannot call whatever internal helpline to get this

so this statement takes up to 7 days, but immigration need a fresh same day paper...

catch 22 like coming here on a tourist visa unable to convert to retirement game as the bank won't open an account and immigration does not give a residence certificate without a 90 day report first...

why would it be need if you go the 800k rule ?

do they need a 12 month status for a new conversion of marriage to retirement?  where the first only needed 400k  and retirement only needs 800k 2 months prior...

what is the use of the bankbook, they show transaction, specially if you withdrew money, don't they ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, john donson said:

what is the use of the bankbook, they show transaction, specially if you withdrew money, don't they ?

It has always taken about 5 business days to get a 12 month statement after the request has been made. The 12 month statement is generated by the office in BKK so a branch needs to make the request send it to BKK, and then I'm guessing it's placed in a queue before being processed.

NOTE: Typically the bigger the institution the longer it takes for things to occur. It's called 'red tape' and the need to follow the documented processes. I worked for many small public companies where getting a PR (Purchase Requisition) approved took an hour or less. But when I worked for 'Big Blue' (IBM) it took days!

A bank book doesn't always show a transaction unless you update it soon after each transaction. I personally update my bank book every few months or less often and when I do update it not all of the transactions that I did for several months are shown.

3 hours ago, john donson said:

how come the bank cannot call whatever internal helpline to get this

so this statement takes up to 7 days, but immigration need a fresh same day paper...

That time frame is specific to Bangkok Bank.  Some can issue on demand.  And bank statement is not normally required to be same day by immigration.  Passbook update and letter of account ownership/balance can be however.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

That time frame is specific to Bangkok Bank.  Some can issue on demand.  And bank statement is not normally required to be same day by immigration.  Passbook update and letter of account ownership/balance can be however.

Exactly! But I would like to clarify that one sentence:

Some banks can issue on demand but Bangkok Bank has always been around a 5 business day process. (At least for the 3 branches I have dealt with over the years, Chiang Mai, Nan, & Surin).