Paxlovid / Covid treatments in BKK if needed

chubby

Hello, in May I have a long haul flight back to BKK, and am planning on buying a good GeoBlue trip insurance.

I'm curious if anyone at all has been able to obtain Paxlovid, or if it is even available at all in Thailand?

for someone, staying in the Sukhumwit area, I'm told Bumrumgrad is OK in an emergency, but not a 1st choice for PCR testing and/or possibly being admitted for Covid symptoms,

Any opinions on the above please?

I live in the sticks in rural Thailand (SiSaKet province), and the adult son of of my girlfriend caught Covid-19 almost a year ago.  He was quarantained for 10 days at his home, and the small local Hospital prescribed Paxlovid which he got from the Hospital pharmacy.

If you can get it here, you surely can get it in Bangkok...

Edited by Red Phoenix

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I live in the sticks in rural Thailand, and the adult son of of my girlfriend caught Covid-19 almost a year ago.  He was quarantained for 10 days at his home, and the small local Hospital prescribed Paxlovid which he got from the Hospital pharmacy.

I doubt that very much, I think what you probably got was molnupiravir. Paxlovid is only now becoming available in Bangkok.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40014766

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I live in the sticks in rural Thailand (SiSaKet province), and the adult son of of my girlfriend caught Covid-19 almost a year ago.  He was quarantained for 10 days at his home, and the small local Hospital prescribed Paxlovid which he got from the Hospital pharmacy.

I very much doubt this was the case. Small local hospitals here have never had Paxlovid. Indeed even the tertiary hospitals have rarely had it. It is effectively still unavailable in Thailand and when that changes it will be mainly the top tier international hospitals and tertiary government hospitals that have it. And the later will have strict criteria as to who can get it.

We have had many incorrect reports of people getting "Paxlovid", on probing it always turns out to have been a different medication.

COVID test can be done anywhere including at home iwht a home test. If you for some reason do nto want to do a home test (which would be my preference) then in Bangkok the easiest option is Medconsult clinic.  https://www.medconsultasia.com/covidtesting/

• Like 2

Sheryl, Do you have an opinion on the use of Full Vax'd and Booster Bivalent last Fall, 55 year old, with none of the chronic pre-existings , if test CV+ with home test, seeking

molnupiravir      while on a long-stay ?

Think I read another post of yours, about these meds more being for preventing severe disease in the higher -risk populations,  though Paxlovid now is advised for > 50 years old being a 'condition' , per my sources

I ask about PCR because I've friends who tested CV- multiple times, and had symptoms, so got a PCR which was CV+, only later having a rapid test be CV+

best

• Like 1

11 hours ago, chubby said:

Sheryl, Do you have an opinion on the use of Full Vax'd and Booster Bivalent last Fall, 55 year old, with none of the chronic pre-existings , if test CV+ with home test, seeking

molnupiravir      while on a long-stay ?

Think I read another post of yours, about these meds more being for preventing severe disease in the higher -risk populations,  though Paxlovid now is advised for > 50 years old being a 'condition' , per my sources

I ask about PCR because I've friends who tested CV- multiple times, and had symptoms, so got a PCR which was CV+, only later having a rapid test be CV+

best

Molnupiravar  in high risk individuals, makes no difference to deaths or hospitalizations,  but shortens the  duration of illness. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/379/bmj.o3055

There is no data on its use in non-high risk individuals.

It is quite expensive and you would have to get it at a hospital.

If I were a healthy 55 year old fully vaxxed, I probably would not bother

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lorry said:

2500 baht (paid by a friend in Bangkok Hospital Huahin).

That surprises me as I would have expected more of a mark up. 

Still a lot per tablet but most people could afford. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

That surprises me as I would have expected more of a mark up. 

Still a lot per tablet but most people could afford. 

I was prescribed Molnupiravar by a private hospital in CM, the total bill for testing and the anti-viral came to 2,300. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

is there any new info on this topic ?  is paxlovid now in some hospitals in Bangkok ?  i have an Australian friend coming to town in July, he has a lung condition (from asbestos exposure).  he's had 2 shots of AZ and three boosters (i think all pfizer) and he got COVID here in BKK during his July trip last year (no complications, better after 4 days).  but he's pestering me about info on paxlovid.  my understanding is even if the hospitals have it, you've got to be infected to get the anti viral.  can't buy it and put on the shelf for a possible future infection.  he's familiar with bumrungrad and sukhumvit hospital.  he's nearly 70 years old and isn't very skillful with the internet so i'm trying to help him out with info.  thanks for any comments.