Update: Three men wanted for abduction and murder of student arrested in Wuhan

webfact

Chinese trio held and facing a heightened prospect of execution for a horrific murder in Thailand
by James Morris and Son Nguyeni

image.jpeg

National Police Commissioner General Damrongsak Kittiprapas on Tuesday confirmed the arrest of the three Chinese suspects who fled the kingdom on March 30th following the heinous murder of Chinese student Jin Can on March 28th and 29th last in Nonthaburi. He revealed that Thai and Chinese police forces were now pursuing a joint investigation and that the accused would stand trial in China where they faced a sharply heightened prospect of being executed if found guilty of murdering the young Chinese woman. The three accused are (from left) 23-year-old Zhou Xiongfei, 23-year-old Chen Saikan and 24-year-old Zhou Pengfei.

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1291202-a-twist-in-the-case-of-the-kidnapped-and-murdered-chinese-student/?do=findComment&comment=17997740

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Will China send them back to Thailand .... maybe  on a exchange agreement

for Chinese christians that Thailand has in custody .???? winking eye

regards Worgeordie

Wuhan...oh no , that is how the last panic started!

13 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

There is no extradition agreement between China and Thailand.

The three men are to be prosecuted in China and if convicted may face the death penalty.

Google!

I wondered about this myself and Googled this matter a few days ago. Aside from being curious to find out if a treaty existed, I was interested to see if there were restrictions for possible death penalty cases, as with some countries.

Anyway, I easily found a link that indicated there is an extradition treaty with China. Do you know something we don't ?

http://www.thailawforum.com/database1/Treaty-of-China.html

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, gomangosteen said:

^ I was wrong. Thanks for info.

And so is Police General Damrongsak Kittiprapas who on 4 April made the police statement to media that "they would not be returned to Thailand for trial as there is no extradition treaty between Bangkok and Beijing "

Foolish of me to think a Police General would know such things!

In this case Damrongsak was Damn wrong.

No worries.

Anyway, it's interesting to see that the initial reporting appears to indicate that an extradition is not forthcoming, somewhat likely China is not particularly keen on extraditing their citizens, I guess that might be viewed as weak in their eyes or they may consider it essentially an all Chinese affair (apart from the Thai lady with apparently limited involvement).

Might also explain what could be a face saving statement from Damrongsak. A nice way for RTP to avoid any local follow up or pressure on why an extradition is not being demanded ? "No have kap"

20 hours ago, markclover said:

The Chinese students are not even rich.  If they were rich they would be in England doing their degree.  They come to Thailand and enroll in an international program.  They work hard and live together.  Very polite students and they respect the teachers.  Easy to teach as well because they arrive on time, sit in silence and do the work.

It doesn't even make sense to target these students for money.

I am not affiliated with BTU, but I knew the group of PRC graduate students who were there before Covid. You're right. They're not wealthy. Prosperous maybe. But certainly not wealthy. And among the ones I knew, this was their first time outside of China--except for one person. Not spoiled. Not entitled. But just committed to improving their and their families' situation in life.