How Is a Retirement Visa Simpler Than a Marriage Visa?

33 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I've only ever had to provide 1 photo at CM, and that's attached to the TM7, in the 10 years I've been here.

We were talking about pictures of man and wife, inside/outside the house, for a marriage visa, not 90 day reports.

• Confused 1

39 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I've only ever had to provide 1 photo at CM, and that's attached to the TM7, in the 10 years I've been here.

That is because you are doing extensions based on retirement.

Try extensions based on marriage

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

We were talking about pictures of man and wife, inside/outside the house, for a marriage visa, not 90 day reports.

I wasn't commenting about 90 day reports either, especially as there is now NO paperwork of any kind required by CM for 90 day reports.

Edited by Rimmer
flame removed

On 4/4/2023 at 11:26 AM, renaissanc said:

When I renewed my Marriage Visa the IO said I still need to take 10 photos of our house and I still need to have a neighbour vouch for me living where I do. I'll also need to have 800,000 Baht in a bank account for 3 months before the application.

Might be depending where you live, apart from the 800.000 baht needs be in the account minimum two month before you apply for yearly extension of stay, and the money shall remain three month after you stay is granted, and never fall below 400.000 baht during the remaining part of a year, until it need to be increased again to 800.000 baht for next yearly extension.

I extend my stay based on retirement at what is said to be the most strict immigration office in the nation and I don't need 10 photos of my house – I need none, just like in zero – and I don't need a neighbour or any other person to vouch for me.

If you are just a little bit organized, extension of stay based on retirement is actually as easy as a piece of cake – and then you also don't need a wife...:whistling:

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

That is because you are doing extensions based on retirement.

Try extensions based on marriage

Dr jack, as usual you only read half teh comments made. The topic is about which is easier, retirement or marriage, and BOTH have been mentioned. So again read ALL the comments before making such uneducated ones yourself.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

The topic is about which is easier, retirement or marrigae, and BOTHB have been mentioned. So again read ALL teh comments before making such uneducated ones yourself

It's well know that photos are not required apart from the TM7 form for extensions retirement.

When you posted that so relevant (not), the thread had posters pointing out the various photo requirements for extensions based on marriage. 

But thanks for your post of ONE photo required for extensions retirement. ????

From the second post in thread from @MJCM....

"No pictures needed of you and your wife".....

From another poster that quoted you...

".We were talking about pictures of man and wife, inside/outside the house, for a marriage visa,...."

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

It's well know that photos are not required apart from the TM7 form for extensions retirement.

When you posted that so relevant (not), the thread had posters pointing out the various photo requirements for extensions based on marriage. 

typical reply from you when called out over your selective reading of comments and then posting the sometimes irrelevant comments that you post

Go back and read EVERY comment, and if you're as smart as you think you are, you will see that posters have been making comparisons between marriage extension photo requirements AND retirement extension photo requirements.

My reply was in response to 1 particular post re CM wherein it was stated that 2 photos were required, with NO mention of whether they were required for marriage or retirement extension.

Also you just assumed I was posting about retirement extension. I made NO mention of which type of extension I only required 1 photo for. So you also need to CEASE assuming things and posting comments based on your (in this case WRONG) assumptions.

Edited by TigerandDog
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Also you just assumed I was posting about retirement extension. I made NO mention of which type of extension I ony required 1 photo for. So you also need to CEASE assuming things.

No need to assume.

You stated that you provided one photo for the TM7. 

That is a retirement extension.

Actually in the written rules it's often stated 2 photos are required for things such as reentry permit etc. However it's the same photo. 

Photo requirements for extensions marriage was being discussed. .

You also stated.....

"My reply was in response to 1 particular post re CM wherein it was stated that 2 photos were required, with NO mention of whether they were required for marriage or retirement extension."

That guy would be applying for extension retirement. 

Time for ignore. Stay on track. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

No need to assume.

You stated that you provided one photo for the TM7. 

That is a retirement extension.

Actually in the written rules it's often stated 2 photos are required for things such as reentry permit etc. However it's the same photo. 

Photo requirements for extensions marriage was being discussed. .

Time for ignore. Stay on track. 

selective reading yet again, and posting on that selective reading.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

From the second post in thread from @MJCM....

"No pictures needed of you and your wife".....

From another poster that quoted you...

".We were talking about pictures of man and wife, inside/outside the house, for a marriage visa,...."

once again selective reading in your quotes and definitely you have NOT read every post as teh topic is most definitely which is easiermarriage or retirement extensions and posters were commenting on photol requirements for BOTH types of extension.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

I wasn't commenting about 90 day reports either, especially as there is now NO paperwork of any kind required by CM for 90 day reports. Perhaps you should reintroduce yourself to english comprehension classes before posting such drivel

Goodbye!

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

For me, it was the IO that suggested I change from marriage to retirement. Probably because it's less work for them too...much easier for both parties and less time at the counter.

That is very much the case.

It's the preference for the io as less work for them. 

Understandable given the requirements immigration set for extensions marriage.

Years back some offices wanted pic of married couple sitting on bed.

You can't make that rubbish up.

Think that's long gone. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 4/4/2023 at 4:59 PM, DrJack54 said:

The only group that would still opt for based on marriage is the folk doing extensions from a non O-A to avoid the insurance requirement. 

Utter nonsense. You speak for everyone, do you? You certainly don't speak for me.

There is a big difference between marriage to a Thai and marriage to a Farang. My wife and I do our own extensions, no agent, she leads with retirement, I follow as Spouse. She has the 800,000 in the bank, I have nothing. Only once a problem 2 years ago, we had the apostile nonsense to go through with our marriage certificate: the same one they accepted the previous ten years!

No maps, no visits, no photos, no hassles. 

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I find it funny that you need to be married to get a marriage extension, but you don't have to be retired to get a retirement extension. It's a weird country.

No.

You don't understand Thai meaning of "retirement" for immigration purposes.

It's as simple as age 50+.

Not a difficult concept. 

6 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Utter nonsense. You speak for everyone, do you? You certainly don't speak for me.

Not at all...

It's based on MANY folk that had a non O-A and switch to based on marriage extensions to avoid insurance requirements.

Not a difficult concept to understand.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

You don't understand Thai meaning of "retirement" for immigration purposes.

It's as simple as age 50+.

Not a difficult concept. 

I understand retirement to mean you no longer work. As it is understood all over the world, except Thailand. Not a difficult concept. Another English word that the Thais don't understand but use anyway.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It's embarrassing that you picked out my last sentence skipping over the previous one ..which was ..

"If the financial requirements were the same for marriage and retirement NO ONE would extend based on marriage from a non O".

Sad you pick out my post from page 1 and take one sentence out of context. 

ON Ignore. 

18 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I understand retirement to mean you no longer work. As it is understood all over the world, except Thailand. Not a difficult concept. Another English word that the Thais don't understand but use anyway.

Anyone living in Thailand on extensions based on retirement are prohibited from working. 

That means by your definition ..

"I understand retirement to mean you no longer work."

That they are retired. Q.E.D

Simple. 

Edited by DrJack54

TBH I have not read all the replies in this thread, but for me, I was so intimidated by IO every time I extended my family visa, that I said ENOUGH!

Last extension, i switched to retirement.

Opened Fixed Account with 1 million deposit.

Got a letter from the bank

Printed out statement on the day of application

One  form filled in

Hand drawn map to my place

15 minutes after application got my extension.

Advantages:

No bringing my wife

No pictures of us in the bedroom

No pictures around the house and property

No bringing a Thai guarantor

Cannot be easier than that.

7 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

Last extension, i switched to retirement.

Opened Fixed Account with 1 million deposit.

Just picked out this one point.

The FD account ....

This is a good idea for anyone on extensions based on retirement.

Foolishly I use a FD and a Savings a/c.

Fit the FD io just gives a glance, however the savings a/c now asking for 12 month bank statements. 

Can understand why you changed.

If dosh is not an issue. 

Edited by DrJack54

17 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Anyone living in Thailand on extensions based on retirement are prohibited from working. 

That means by your definition ..

"I understand retirement to mean you no longer work."

That they are retired. Q.E.D

Simple. 

The IO at my local office suggested I have a retirement extension rather than marriage and I told him I wasn't retired. He said I didn't need to be, which suggested to me that I was able to work with a retirement extension. Perhaps he should have added that I can, except in Thailand.

Anyway, I'd rather keep the 400,000 handy for them to check than 800,000, for the inconvenience of spending two hours instead of one at their office. Gathering what they need once a year is hardly a hardship. But each to their own.

20 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Anyway, I'd rather keep the 400,000 handy for them to check than 800,000, for the inconvenience of spending two hours instead of one at their office. Gathering what they need once a year is hardly a hardship. But each to their own.

If I was married then 100% I would go for extensions based on marriage.

400k in bank for couple of months then can use it. ...sweet deal.

I might even consider the ME Non O 12 month visa from places such a as Savannakhet.

Don't really understand why Thai immigration make the paperwork difficult for extensions marriage.

Personally the home visit and under consideration period would do my head in. 

Edit: just occurred to me another advantage of extension marriage.

So using myself as one example.

Not married but same partner 10 yrs and wanting any funds in Thai bank to go easily to her.

I obviously use extension retirement and keep approx 1 mill locked up.

In event of death those funds not easily available to her.

Marriage extension with funds in bank for couple of months solves the problem

Edited by DrJack54

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't really understand why Thai immigration make the paperwork difficult for extensions marriage.

My sister-in-law has recently returned back from Hungary where she was living with her Dutch husband, as she has a young (14yold) son here and thought it would be a good idea to be here to raise him instead of leaving it to us. She was given a five-year visa there. All her husband had to do was show he had the means of support for them both. The visa cost 15 Euros. She asked if that was per month. No, it wasn't.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Can understand why you changed.

If dosh is not an issue. 

Well, if you don't have 800,000 baht or equivalent in your name when you retire, then perhaps you should stay in your home country.

Considering that once you move, you'll lose all medical benefits and much more, but still expect to pay taxes on your pension.

17 minutes ago, SpaceKadet said:

Well, if you don't have 800,000 baht or equivalent in your name when you retire, then perhaps you should stay in your home country

Say what.

Folk on extensions retirement using money in bank method does not mean that is the extent of their wealth.

I find it an inconvenience having that amount of dead money.

That does not mean it's prohibitive. 

BTW: Many don't have pensions. Too rich for that entitlement. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1