Warning, Keto, low carb

scubascuba3

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends how tall you are, and your muscle mass.  

That's a good weight for him, 185cm.  Normal looking muscle mass needed for a tennis playing.   If this photo is 85kg, he has a wee bit extra.

image.png.d6130f2fac60744b78bcc991150b5ac5.png

I'm 175cm, and OK muscle mass, which gives me a little extra, if sick, as about the same weight, @ 80-84kg.  I wouldn't want to go below 75, way too small for me, and if I worked out a bit, 85 would be looking buff.  Too lazy for that, so I try to stay closer to 80kg.  Was 78 last year or so, and felt small.  I don't mind a few extra.

Roger has very little muscle. 

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

Roger has very little muscle. 

He is a tennis player, legs & arms being the priority.  But agree, he's far from what many would consider buff, but also not juiced up.  Looking quite healthy.

I prefer a bit more upper body mass.  Manual labor did that for me in my early years, and decades cycling developed my legs. Now I'm just lazy ???? so not as solid as I used to be.  

4 hours ago, Irrumator said:

Don't spread fake news and be so alarmist, as you obviously have no first hand experience of keto, just watched one Youtube video.  Troll.

You sound bitter. Calling me a 'troll' because I introduced some recent research smacks of keto cult status.

Besides having a background in biochemistry (undergrad degree), I follow the work coming out of major medical schools and research institutes. I have a preference for work coming out of Stanford, as that happens to be one of my alma maters. I read the work and follow the LINKS suggested by people like Dr Peter Attia and Dr Andrew Huberman.

Research is ongoing, but there are issues arising with the keto diet. Low serotonin production is one issue, and that has links to depression and other mood swings. Perhaps your obvious bitterness stems from that.

Having never been overweight and never out of shape, I never had any need for keto diets, but I do read the research out of curiosity.

Diets cannot be changed drastically with no side effects. Long term keto dieters have taught their body to turn off insulin production. Research is ongoing to determine what effects that could have when the pure keto diet stops.

Wonderful that you lost so much weight (though I never will understand how anyone could gain that much weight to begin with. I suppose it's never too late to adopt the self control and discipline that was lacking when all that weight was packed on.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

You didn't read accurately, probably the keto, apparently 10 years keto is an interesting milestone

Lots do keto for years. They say it works for them. They are fitter and stronger than you.

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I cycle a lot, about 1000km a month good speed, fittest I've ever been. You seem to think walking is enough which is one of the reasons you're overweight 

30km a day on a bike isnt much. About 45 minutes. I can walk 5 hours a day. Harder than cycling for 45 minutes.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Lots do keto for years. They say it works for them. They are fitter and stronger than you.

Keto people have had problems with weight, i never have, never let my self get "much" overweight, a few kg max, I can't understand how people can let themselves bloat 15+kg overweight 

• Thumbs Up 1

Keto people have had problems with weight, i never have, never let my self get "much" overweight, a few kg max, I can't understand how people can let themselves bloat 15+kg overweight 

Lots do keto for strength and endurance. Being skinny isnt a measure of fitness.

4 days a week, often around 100km. Walking is easy, try running or cycle 100km

That isnt much at all on a racing bike. Much harder to walk up stairs. I used to ride a racing bike 30km a day 6 days a week. The bike does the work.

15 minutes ago, bignok said:

That isnt much at all on a racing bike. Much harder to walk up stairs. I used to ride a racing bike 30km a day 6 days a week. The bike does the work.

30km is easy, really easy. Walking is very easy if properly fit, don't kid yourself it's enough, it's not

4 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

30km is easy, really easy. Walking is very easy if properly fit, don't kid yourself it's enough, it's not

Walking up hills isnt easy. Stop kidding yourself. You aren't fit.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

6 foot 1. Average height for a western male.

RF is 185cm, I already post, and 6'1'' is not average at all

I'm average @ 5'9"

"Introduction. The average height in America is 5'9″ for men and 5'4″ for women. However, it may vary from state to state."

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

USA being in the top half of that list differs with your 'opinion'

With CH about the same height and IN a bit shorter, though bottom half of that list, I'd say that's a good portion of the world population = USA above average, not short.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

USA being in the top half of that list differs with your 'opinion'

With CH about the same height and IN a bit shorter, though bottom half of that list, I'd say that's a good portion of the world population = USA above average, not short.

Under 179 is short to me.

3 minutes ago, bignok said:

Not for the Dutch.

USA taller than about the 100 countries shorter on the list vs the 43 ish countries taller on the list.

Not than anyone but you cares about 179 vs 175 ... 1.5" ????