update of bank book after extension with 800,000 THB in the bank

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I have read experienced guys post that immigration does it on purpose to drive us Aliens to use agents.

Thinking they have a point.

To be fair Thailand makes some rules foolishly.

One example is TM30 rules which changed 2020.

Not sure what 90 day reports achieve. etc etc. 

Agreed, yes and yes!

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Which office is this? I have never had this in Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai.

Question is, what can an IO do to you if you don't comply? If you don't draw on the balance of 800,000 during the year, your bankbook tells the story when you go for the next extension.

Some four-eyed petty bureaucrat dreamed this up as makework, I doubt the system will deny you an extension for non-compliance. A BS fine, maybe.

No consequences. 

10 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Why is it many posters with information on Immigration issues never state the Immigration Office where it occurred?   Although the overall rules are supposed to apply to all, each Immigration Office has their own policies.  From reports I have seen, it appears that most Immigration Offices have no such requirement, but a few do such as the Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration Office.

However, Pattaya Immigration in Jomtien requires a report back with bank book only one time - 90 days from date if extension, but even that has been hit or miss as some are told to do so and others are not.  Further, as noted by other posters, not complying with the report back has no consequences as they have no tracking system to record who does or does not report back. 

Also as mentioned, which appears to be the policy at all Immigration Offices, your bank book will be examined at the time you apply to renew your extension to verify that you met the requirement to keep 800k for 3 months and before renewal application but never letting it fall below 400k in the interim period.

If you get the order at Jomtien you can ignore it!

What you can't ignore are the actual balance maintenance rules.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

For what's it worth.

At my SiSaKet Imm Office, having done your 1-year extension appliation based on a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement, you need to return after 90 days for the 'Bank Balance check'.

But as SiSaket Imm Office also automatically does your 90-day Report when applying for your 1-year extension, you can do both the 90 days Report and the 90 day Bank Balance check at same time. 

Also for that 90-day Bank Balance check they just want to see your same-day updated Bank Pass-book.  This in contrast with the 1-year extension application where they require on top of the Bank Account statement also a 12-month Bank Transactions statement issued by your Bank.  

There is no such requirement at Chiang Rai Immigration.

I do my 90-day report online. The only time I report the bank balance is the day I apply for extension.

They require a bank letter, and a statement for the last 6 months prior to renewal of the extension.

IMO it just shows how inconsistently the rules are applied across the Immigration offices.

Any IO with two brain cells should be able to look at a passbook and determine if any requirement is not met. It's definitely not rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

There is no such requirement at Chiang Rai Immigration.

I do my 90-day report online. The only time I report the bank balance is the day I apply for extension.

They require a bank letter, and a statement for the last 6 months prior to renewal of the extension.

IMO it just shows how inconsistently the rules are applied across the Immigration offices.

Any IO with two brain cells should be able to look at a passbook and determine if any requirement is not met. It's definitely not rocket science.

Yes, every Imm Office has the authority to add additional requirements or make minor amendments to the broad 'official' rules.  And so it is always wise to contact your local Imm Office to ensure that on a first application for a Non Imm O Visa or extension you are not taken by surprise by local Immigration rules.

Re the 800K Bank Balance Check 90-days after your 1-year extension application for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement > Some offices introduced that additional check to avoid that applicants would use up the 800K once they got the Permission to stay stamp.  Some retirees are tempted to do this and instead of re-applying for the 1-year extension - the requirements which they would not be able to meet - then simply made a border-run, returned Visa Exempt an re-applied for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

11 hours ago, rwill said:

But best to do what they want I guess to make things go smoothly.

Agree, maybe I'm over cautious but I tend to do what they tell me so there's no issues later. You never know when you'll run across an IO thats pissed off, having a bad day and decides to make life miserable for you. I'd hate to show up for my annual extension and it goes something like this.

IO: "Why you no show money at three months?"

Me: "Uhhhh, people told me on Aseannow forum I didn't have too."

IO; "What's this Aseannow forum? No extension, you start over with new visa."

Like I said, maybe over cautious but I like an easy life so don't want to create additional problems. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Point me to ONE report when this has ever occured.

Actually don't waste your time.

It has NEVER happened. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, ross163103 said:

Agree, maybe I'm over cautious but I tend to do what they tell me so there's no issues later. You never know when you'll run across an IO thats pissed off, having a bad day and decides to make life miserable for you. I'd hate to show up for my annual extension and it goes something like this.

Like I said, maybe over cautious but I like an easy life so don't want to create additional problems. 

They won't even know!

I had an officer openly admit to me the only reason for it is as an extra measure to remind people that they must follow the actual balance maintenance rules and if those rules have been followed at next extension no problem, if not big problem, NOTHING at all to do with that show money report!

When people do hand it in, they don't even give a receipt. 
It's a nothing burger. 

I'm usually follow all "rules" kind of guy, but this isn't a real rule.

On 4/5/2023 at 6:04 PM, yeahbutif said:

It seems like some people get this and some don't .. if done via agent you don't get it. I have had it for the last 3 years but never bothered to show amount afte 3 months or so but had no problem as they can look at bank book on renewal to see balance via the all year... So can't see why they do this.. but upto you.. as they don't stamp anything in passport to say you showed or not.. 

".......as they can look at bank book on renewal to see balance via the all year..."

Really? You go and get your bank book updated every day?  Hmmmmmm.....

• Confused 2

5 minutes ago, dingdongrb said:

".......as they can look at bank book on renewal to see balance via the all year..."

Really? You go and get your bank book updated every day?  Hmmmmmm.....

Mmmmmm... why every day--every 30 days or so is fine, after that the total starts accumulating as a single total and doesn't show individual transactions. So only 12 times a year if the guy wants to do it that way.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes, every Imm Office has the authority to add additional requirements or make minor amendments to the broad 'official' rules.  And so it is always wise to contact your local Imm Office to ensure that on a first application for a Non Imm O Visa or extension you are not taken by surprise by local Immigration rules.

Re the 800K Bank Balance Check 90-days after your 1-year extension application for a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement > Some offices introduced that additional check to avoid that applicants would use up the 800K once they got the Permission to stay stamp.  Some retirees are tempted to do this and instead of re-applying for the 1-year extension - the requirements which they would not be able to meet - then simply made a border-run, returned Visa Exempt an re-applied for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

What are you typing about.

Those living in Thailand on extensions based on retirement using money in the bank method are well aware of the rules. 

Reporting back to immigration is a nonsense.

For anyone that makes a slip up they would simply exit prior to next extension and "start over" 

Certainly not something that would be done by design. 

You stated ..."Some offices introduced that additional check to avoid that applicants would use up the 800K once they got the Permission to stay stamp" 

Say what....if they spent down the 800k they would simply be aware they cannot obtain next extension.

Do you think immigration will send out the BMW,s to round them up? 

I am aware of few immigration offices playing this game. 

The main one being Jomtien which has in effect stopped that practice.

Leaves couple of back water offices.  

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, nigelforbes said:

Is anyone else getting fed up with this nonsense!

I've never experienced any nonsense. I extended my OA at CW 5x and provided a 1 year bank statement. Never a problem. Never a request to return. Now I've got a 10 year LTR so really no problem. I recently moved to Sisaket province. I visited the Immigration office to let them know I was here with a 10 yr LTR. They smiled and pretty much said welcome. Everyone I've met here raves about how friendly and easy the Sisaket Immigration office is for them.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, MPoll said:

I've never experienced any nonsense. I extended my OA at CW 5x and provided a 1 year bank statement. Never a problem. Never a request to return. Now I've got a 10 year LTR so really no problem. I recently moved to Sisaket province. I visited the Immigration office to let them know I was here with a 10 yr LTR. They smiled and pretty much said welcome. Everyone I've met here raves about how friendly and easy the Sisaket Immigration office is for them.

Well bully for you, Sisaket Immi., the new model for Thai Immi, nationally, it really is Kansas after all. But I'm not sure the smile you saw on their faces was a welcome, it's more probable it was the, "hmm, 10 year LTR, farang have money, make mental note for later". 

• Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 6:49 AM, soisanuk said:

Why is it many posters with information on Immigration issues never state the Immigration Office where it occurred?   Although the overall rules are supposed to apply to all, each Immigration Office has their own policies.  From reports I have seen, it appears

This, yes!

Anyway, a good rule of thumb for those with extensions using the 'banked' method, update the bankbook showing an account balance in accordance with the requirement three months after the date of the extension.   

And update the bankbook two months prior to the date of the next extension application which shows a balance amount that meets the requirement.