Where To Study Thai?

Ritti

Has anybody studied Thai around Asok, Promg Prom (suk area?)

I am looking at studying during the day a few days a week.

Also if they offer Ed Visa that is a bonus

Any advice would be great

Thanks

I am currently learning thai at Piammitr language school. It is on Sukhumvit soi 23, 2 mins from asoke skytrain station and the sukhumvit mrt station is even closer. They teach classes monday to friday and you can chose between morning or afternoon classes. They can also offer you the ed visa.

It's a bit out of your area but Wat Mahatat in Maharaj Road near the river is a great place to hang out with the monks and learn Thai in your free time. I taught there for years and that is the way I learnt Thai - exchanging English and Thai words with the young monks ! They are desperate to learn English, you can volunteer to teach if you like as it's a monk university. PM me if you want the names of the head monks.

• 3 weeks later...
I am currently learning thai at Piammitr language school. It is on Sukhumvit soi 23, 2 mins from asoke skytrain station and the sukhumvit mrt station is even closer. They teach classes monday to friday and you can chose between morning or afternoon classes. They can also offer you the ed visa.

:o

Forget Piammitr Thai Language Courses => the courses are worse. I studied there book 1 until 3. The teachers have mostly an office background that means no real education as a teacher. They also not really interested in teaching. The classes have mostly a few students.

Teachers speak english just a few words. That means they need a couple of minutes to try to explain one thaiword in thai. Mostly after that explanation in thai the students still dont know whats going on. The books are very basic (cost for one book is 200 baht).

No real daily life situations included in the books just some confusing sentences!!

There is no Thai-English dictonary anywhere available for the phonectic system (based on the union school method) they are using. :D

The fact that most of the teachers only speak a little bit english has the advantage that the students will learn thai more easily (thats what the school will tell you). Personally i think the salary of "teachers" with an office background and just some "basic english" are lower (so more profit for the school).

Try to look for a privat Thai tutor thats more expensive but gives much better results.

Has anybody studied Thai around Asok, Promg Prom (suk area?)

I am looking at studying during the day a few days a week.

Also if they offer Ed Visa that is a bonus

Any advice would be great

Thanks

Hey, Try thaiwalen

They give you a non-immigrant ED visa for the year.

The course cost 29,000 baht, this includes the ED visa for one year, and you can take this course for up to 3 years.

For more info look on their website.

When my visa expires at the end of this year, I'll start taking this course. Its a cheap and easy way to get the visa, plus you get to learn how to speak and read thai.

Any help, just contact me.

• 2 weeks later...

Do anyone have any actual experience of using Thaiwalen for ED-visa purposes ?

I guess everyone have seen their AD, but are they trustworthy, ie not out to scam us poor farangs :D

Please enlighten me on this.. thx :o

When I asked where to study Thai, the most appealing reply was - at the Chulangkorn University.

It's a set of 8 courses, 6 weeks each, takes a year and they support a visa.

The cost was, if I remember correctly, 250K baht for the whole lot.

But I have never made it so can't comment further.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if they would be scamming you at Walen, but I would think not. It's a school that's been there for a while teaching English with Callan Method and not have adapted it to teach Thai. For the OP, he may want to check it out as you only need to study a couple of times a week and it sounded like he didn't want to be in class all day every day.