3BB speeds, how to accurately test?

grain

3 hours ago, billd766 said:

I get the best and most correct download speed using this app.

However I have no idea how to connect it to my Chrome browser.

https://apps.microsoft.com/store/detail/speedtest-by-ookla/9NBLGGH4Z1JC?hl=en-us&gl=us

that's an app, you don't need an app on a proper computer.......just go direct to the website www.speedtest.net

unfortunately the whole world is in 'app hell' nowadays because of dumbos glued to mobile phones and totally horrendous operating systems made by Microsoft......it's a CONsumer hellhole out there ????

Edited by driver52

6 hours ago, driver52 said:

have you got a proper pc or a laptop? you need to plug a 'network cable' from your 'proper computer' into one of the yellow sockets labelled LANx on the router to properly test the connection speed......capiche?

@JensenZ said before correctly - if you use a LAN connection be sure that both your PC / notebook and your router support LAN with 1000 Mbps and also make sure that you use the correct LAN cable for this speed. Otherwise you are better off with a WiFi connection. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Raindancer said:

The next thing to do is check your TV Lan speed specs.  Even some top end tvs only provide 100mbps when connected directly by Lan cable to the router.

So connecting your set top box to tv will still only give you 100mbps or less.

My smart TV is a TCL, I checked last night and yes, 100mbps is the given speed.

4 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

@JensenZ said before correctly - if you use a LAN connection be sure that both your PC / notebook and your router support LAN with 1000 Mbps and also make sure that you use the correct LAN cable for this speed. Otherwise you are better off with a WiFi connection. 

Thanks, I'll stay with the wifi, actually no complaints about the speed. Previously I used a DTAC sim in my phone that gave 30mbps speed, and I hot spot my laptop and smart TV to my phone's wifi. Now with 3BB I have faster wifi, everything is faster, so no problems. I was just wondering why I paid for 1gb and was getting 50-60-70 mbps. But reading what everyone has posted here, I see now it's OK.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

I had this problem a few years ago on my new laptop. I was only getting 500 download speed, until I realised my cable was Cat 5. I changed to Cat 6, and I got over 900 Mbps. I have a crimping tool to make my own LAN connectors, but they are difficult to get right. Now I just buy ready made Lan cable to ensure full capacity.

There isn't much point paying for 1000 Mbps download if you're not making full use of it.

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

I had this problem a few years ago on my new laptop. I was only getting 500 download speed, until I realised my cable was Cat 5. I changed to Cat 6, and I got over 900 Mbps. I have a crimping tool to make my own LAN connectors, but they are difficult to get right. Now I just buy ready made Lan cable to ensure full capacity.

There isn't much point paying for 1000 Mbps download if you're not making full use of it.

For what do you need 1000 Mbps? If you have for instance a company or a hotel with many users then yes. Otherwise an overkill for most. But it sells better. I guess if they provide 5000 Mbps some normal Internet users might want to get it because it is faster. 

14 hours ago, driver52 said:

that's an app, you don't need an app on a proper computer.......just go direct to the website www.speedtest.net

unfortunately the whole world is in 'app hell' nowadays because of dumbos glued to mobile phones and totally horrendous operating systems made by Microsoft......it's a CONsumer hellhole out there ????

Well I went to the website www.speedtest.net and from my 3BB router to the 3BB server in BKK I got a ping of 10 ms, a download of 179.91 mB and an upload of 307.71 mB.

Using the download from Microsoft from my 3BB router to the 3BB server in BKK I get a ping of 10 mS, a download of 934.5 mB, and and upload of 315.09 mB 

11 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

For what do you need 1000 Mbps? If you have for instance a company or a hotel with many users then yes. Otherwise an overkill for most. But it sells better. I guess if they provide 5000 Mbps some normal Internet users might want to get it because it is faster. 

Having been with CAT for many years, I got a very good deal. I do a lot of Bittorrent downloading, so it's convenient. I also have my PC 24/7 connected to VPSs and trading accounts and transfer big files across the globe... where upload speed is important.  

I don't need it, but I like it. When I started out in Pattaya I had  1/0.5 Mbps (2005), then it gradually got faster.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Well I went to the website www.speedtest.net and from my 3BB router to the 3BB server in BKK I got a ping of 10 ms, a download of 179.91 mB and an upload of 307.71 mB.

Using the download from Microsoft from my 3BB router to the 3BB server in BKK I get a ping of 10 mS, a download of 934.5 mB, and and upload of 315.09 mB 

I mostly use the Windows Speedtest app as it's fast and convenient. I only use the web based Speedtest.net if I want to specify an international server.

• Like 1