Trump judge and his family receive threats after New York arrest

Scott

Judge Juan Merchan at his office in New York

In the 24 hours since former President Donald Trump’s arraignment, the presiding judge and his family have received multiple threats, two sources familiar with the matter said.

One official said “dozens” of threats have recently been directed at Judge Juan Merchan and his chambers but did not give an exact time frame for them.

The other source said Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg and other top officials in his office continue to receive threats. The threats have been in the form of calls, emails and letters.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-judge-family-receive-threats-233226748.html

YahooNews.jpg

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Protect the judge and send the bill to Trump.

And is there no law in the USA to prosecute someone who openly asks people to threaten a judge? 

It is absolutely illegal to threaten a judge. Unfortunately, they have to be extra cautious for fear of appearing anti-45.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Have there been any that have received multiple threats from different sources in such a short space of time due to one case? & after having hate speech directed against them on twitter, truth social and other media sources?

As far as I know and I don't think a link is necessary,  how popular was Twitter and truth social 10/20 years ago? It's quite common recently for many Judges to receive multiple threats on many different types of cases. Surely you see this in the news as well.  My statements are not arguing the facts here either. My point is how common this is ESPECIALLY in recent years. Your other buddy didn't understand my post either it seems. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

As far as I know and I don't think a link is necessary,  how popular was Twitter and truth social 10/20 years ago? It's quite common recently for many Judges to receive multiple threats on many different types of cases. Surely you see this in the news as well.  My statements are not arguing the facts here either. My point is how common this is ESPECIALLY in recent years. Your other buddy didn't understand my post either it seems. 

Ok, can you provide a link indicating a high level of death threats to any judge over any time period of your choosing?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

So you're claiming that the scale of threats now is now different than what judges and DAs ordinarily experience? Are you also claiming that Trump's attacks on the judge are not a factor promoting these threats?

And are yo seriously defending an ex-President who uses such vitriolic and unhinged language?

No and no.  I have no idea where you are trying to even slightly read my mind. 

1 minute ago, alex8912 said:

No and no.  I have no idea where you are trying to even slightly read my mind. 

Then what was your point in raising the fact that judges and DA's will receive threats in the course of their career? Was it just an irrelevant factoid that you thought to throw in for no particular reason?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, placeholder said:

Then what was your point in raising the fact that judges and DA's will receive threats in the course of their career? Was it just an irrelevant factoid that you thought to throw in for no particular reason?

Yes

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Are you now claiming to be a moderator? Judges and DA's on a regular basis not only receive threats but are even visited by at their homes and even met with physical harm. It's very common. Pop over to law.com I'm sure you know that sight. Here's a quote from it:

'Chilling Effect': NY Court System Head Warns of Rising Threats Against Judges

Acting Chief Administrative Judge Tamiko Amaker said that incidents have increased 40% from 2020 to 2022.

February 08, 2023 at 02:25 PM

Just in NY alone.. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Are you now claiming to be a moderator? Judges and DA's on a regular basis not only receive threats but are even visited by at their homes and even met with physical harm. It's very common. Pop over to law.com I'm sure you know that sight. Here's a quote from it:

Acting Chief Administrative Judge Tamiko Amaker said that incidents have increased 40% from 2020 to 2022.

Just in NY alone.. 

How about you just produce a link to support your claim as requested instead of trolling with off topic deflection?

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, alex8912 said:

Just in NY alone.. 

So before you claimed you weren't attempting to mitigate the contents Trump's posts against the Judge and DA and now you are? Or is this just another pointless fact that you are throwing into the mix?

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Protect the judge and send the bill to Trump.

And is there no law in the USA to prosecute someone who openly asks people to threaten a judge? 

Inciting violence?

Hasn't he already been investigated for that over the assault on the US Capitol?

Edited by phetphet

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Whether it happens to other judges or not is not the point. Its happening here on this case and its happening on an unprecedented scale that has been raised including the family. These are numerous death threats from multiple sources. Feel free to provide anything to compare with this case as you claim its so common.

• Like 1