Transport Ministry says swift tourism recovery has led to higher airfares

webfact

1 hour ago, finnsk said:

From Europe to Thailand the flight tickets is around 60-70 % higher than before covid.

Only a few of the big europe route flight compagnies have reopened direct flight to Thailand.

No doubt there is a big missmatch between supply and demand from europe to Thailand.

It does not looks like there is many route flight tourist from Europe in Thailand.

It looks like many more europe people prefer to stay in europe area for holydays than before covid.

When looking at the holyday makers (with own flights) tour prices, they seems to have close to the same prices as before covid.

So the high prices on route tours can not only be explained by high fuel costs, the few flight compagnies on the route from Europe to Thailand looks to make a much better profit on their seats than before covid. I know they have big loss from the covid time, so now they take the profit to cover the covid losses. If they make good profit  other flight compagnies will follow sooner or later. Maybe the ticket prices will begin to fall to next high season in Thailand (december/jan) , we can only wait and see.

Hard to see how the Thai government can change the situation. This is supply and demand buisness

1 hour ago, finnsk said:

From Europe to Thailand the flight tickets is around 60-70 % higher than before covid.

Only a few of the big europe route flight compagnies have reopened direct flight to Thailand.

No doubt there is a big missmatch between supply and demand from europe to Thailand.

It does not looks like there is many route flight tourist from Europe in Thailand.

It looks like many more europe people prefer to stay in europe area for holydays than before covid.

When looking at the holyday makers (with own flights) tour prices, they seems to have close to the same prices as before covid.

So the high prices on route tours can not only be explained by high fuel costs, the few flight compagnies on the route from Europe to Thailand looks to make a much better profit on their seats than before covid. I know they have big loss from the covid time, so now they take the profit to cover the covid losses. If they make good profit  other flight compagnies will follow sooner or later. Maybe the ticket prices will begin to fall to next high season in Thailand (december/jan) , we can only wait and see.

Hard to see how the Thai government can change the situation. This is supply and demand buisness

lots of pent up demand globally.  hopefully things will settle down for next season.   a global recession could also play a role

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Staff shortages as airlines are struggling recruit new staff after laying them off during Covid, most have found other employment, high oil price and airlines trying to recoup the losses from Covid sums it up.

I would imagine airlines will be up to speed with new recruits, the oil price has dropped, will this mean cheaper fares ? No if people are prepared to pay the current prices they won’t drop.

• Thumbs Up 1

The pent up demand to travel will likely end soon. With the economy slowing, the inflation and flight prices going up, people will start finding alternative travel options that won’t cost as much. Hopefully then the prices will come down but I’m not holding my breath. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Airfares have been demonstrably higher for foreign flights into Thailand – 50-100% increase in many cases – and the same international aviation issues are at play in the Thai domestic market as well.

Brother put-off visiting this year due to the high flight costs.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Staff shortages as airlines are struggling recruit new staff after laying them off during Covid, most have found other employment, high oil price and airlines trying to recoup the losses from Covid sums it up.

I would imagine airlines will be up to speed with new recruits, the oil price has dropped, will this mean cheaper fares ? No if people are prepared to pay the current prices they won’t drop.

There is no sign of oil prices dropping. Quite the opposite in fact, with the Saudis now limiting supply as they say it's too cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1

Usually the more people want to fly the more competition from airlines and the lower the prices. This is just profiteering. As soon as people say it's too expensive but not coming to Thailand, prices must drop or risk offering cheaper competitors the advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's a shortage of staff and pilots.  Pilots get paid terribly considering what they do.  

This will not get any better, only worse.  The days of cheap flights are over for now.  People from different parts of the world need to be pilots - those in the first world they don't even get a living wage.  

Tourism has just started to rebound.  This is nothing.

• Haha 1

It's over with the cheap flights. Not just now, but forever. Flight prices will only increase and flying will only be affordable for the upper middle class and above.

Last year I managed to fly BKK-AMS v.v. directly for only 710 euros with EVA. This year I can only dream about such a price. That's why I have decided not to fly home to see my family this month. Such a shame, but I simply cannot afford it on my Thai salary.

have to say since first going to LOS one way yearly since 2008 ive paid pretty much the same....maybe a $20 usd increase but still avg the same costs

700 usd to cross the planet from one side to the other one way..6 airports--5 flights.......(ugh)  def a long haul but used to it.... 12x over--12x back

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Airfares have doubled to/from North America.  Airlines are trying to make up

for their covid losses.  As far as I am concerned, they should send their bills to China and

not fleece the customers who make their airlines exist in the first place.

The Airlines are price gouging because people want to travel again after Covid, also same as inflation, many retails are taking advantage and causing higher inflation around the world..

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, malibukid said:

checked today.  CNX to Phuket $200!  like 400%.  what can a poor boy  do? but to go to London town and join in a rock and roll band.

It's a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.????????

11 hours ago, AustinRacing said:

Doesn’t make sense. More bums on seats leads to higher revenue. Fares should be decreased unless opportunity is sought to make more money. The guy confirms Thai mentality of price gouging especially when foreigners are involved. 

Commonly known as greed!

• Thumbs Up 1