Chong Chom border run with Non O

I'm contemplating a border run, initially I was going to go Poi Pet but I read Chong Chom was quieter, and just generally easier than PP, the extra distance from BKK isn't a problem for me, I like the riding...

I'm nearing the end of my 90 day stay, I still have a few months left on my Non O visa, so I just need to exit and re-enter.

I've also read that I can pay a few hundred Baht to re-enter Thailand on the same day, is this currently possible at Chong Chom border crossing?

Thanks in advance for any recent experiences!

MD

You could also consider taking the Chong Sa Ngam/Anlong Veng border-crossing, which is only 60 km from Chong Chom.

I have used that Chong Sa Ngam border-crossing many times.  It is in the 'middle of nowhere', and you will wonder whether you are on the right road because it is relatively deserted.  Some 10-15 kms before you arrive at the actual border-crossing you will pass a parking and rest area with a breathtaking view over the area.  Worth a stop!

On arrival at the border-crossing, there is a large vehicle parking space. 

After being stamped out by Thai border-immigration, you cross the small 'No Man's land'  to the cambodian Imm Office, where you buy a Cambodian Visa on entry.  I costs 50 US $ but they also accept Thai bath (but obviously not very good exchange rate). Previously you needed also 1 or 2 passport photos, but last time I was there they had the automatic picture taker (but in case it is broken, might still be useful to take passport photos with you).

The Cambodian Imm Officer will probably ask you whether you want to return immediately to Thailand (there is no charge for doing so).  You can do so, but it's worth staying half-hour or so to check out the shops on the Cambodian site, that have amazing deals of beautiful and super-cheap woodwork, as well as cheap cigarettes (200 THB for 10 packages of 20 smokes - all brands available).

• Like 2