Fruitless: Tourists they face jail time for bringing fruits to Thailand, govt warns

webfact

2 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

A few years ago, an eldery English friend of mine (90+ years), flew from Bangkok to Sydney to visit his daughter. On arrival, he ticked no on all the boxes. No food, no wood items etc. The agricultural people did a bag search and found he had a pair of leather shoes which had wooden shoe stretchers inside each pair. "What are these mate?" asked the agricultural officer. "Shoe stretchers, my good man, to keep my shoes in shape" replied my English friend. "They are wooden, mate and you didn't declare them" said the agricultural officer. My English friend was having difficulty understanding the Australian accent and asked if he could talk to someone higher up who could speak English. All hell broke out. My English friend was taken to a side room where a full body search was made, even an anus search. He had to pay a fine, his shoe stretchers were taken away and destroyed and my friend never went back to Australia again.

Pull the other one dear boy! 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Yet most people feel that threatening tourists with a huge fine and imprisonment over a piece of fruit is too much. This is not just an "excuse to bitch", but an actual good reason to bitch LOL

Well.......every particular country has their own odd and assorted entry rules and regulations, whether they're appearing to be ridiculous, extreme or whatever. It might be reasonable to suggest that it's up to the individual to abide and respect said laws - otherwise, don't pass through.  

1 hour ago, zzaa09 said:

Well.......every particular country has their own odd and assorted entry rules and regulations, whether they're appearing to be ridiculous, extreme or whatever. It might be reasonable to suggest that it's up to the individual to abide and respect said laws - otherwise, don't pass through.  

"otherwise, don't pass through". How would you expect an Australian returning home to get home without passing through? I suppose he could try to smuggle some fruit back by sea, but the coastline is quite well guarded these days.

2 hours ago, Olmate said:

Pull the other one dear boy! 

No, this was absolutely true. I think words were exchanged as my old friend who had travelled world-wide, but never to Australia, couldn't believe that a wooden pair of shoe stretchers had to be declared. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

"otherwise, don't pass through". How would you expect an Australian returning home to get home without passing through? I suppose he could try to smuggle some fruit back by sea, but the coastline is quite well guarded these days.

So.....what's with this obsessive insistence of sneaking forbidden fruit through the borders - even when returning home? 

Mellow out, would ya...