Claimants go to the ECD police after Ponzi scheme "friend" disappears

webfact

image.jpeg

Daily News Thai Caption: Treacherous friend hunted!

Around twenty victims of an online Ponzi scheme went to the Economic Crime Division police in Bangkok yesterday to file a complaint.

One of the group - a 34 year old lady called Siriwan - said she had invested 100,000 baht on the promise of 20% monthly returns. It was run by a close friend of hers and had been in operation for 2 years.

But when the Ponzi pyramid collapsed she and many others lost everything as the organizers went to ground.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

Siriwan said she invested because of th close friend whom she has known for four years called G.

She believed G's claims especially as her boyfriend knew a Net Idol, something she believed added to the authenticity of the investment.

image.jpeg

Picture: Daily News

There was 35 million baht owed when the "Ban Omsap" scheme collapsed leaving dozens of people owed money.

Now the hunt is on for the "treacherous friend", reported Daily News.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2023-04-13

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

3 hours ago, webfact said:

She believed G's claims especially as her boyfriend knew a Net Idol, something she believed added to the authenticity of the investment.

Well, the tangential involvement of a Thai "Net Idol" certainly would have won my trust, especially on matters relating to finance!  ????

Thailand is sorely lacking in financial literacy and education for the masses....

"she had invested 100,000 baht on the promise of 20% monthly returns."

Not even My Mate Nate could pull off that kind of deal.... ????

Only 20% interest a month , I am sure there are other scams out there offering more,????

there's at least one scam a week in Thailand , you would think they would have learned,

but no , it must be Kosher , especially as her boyfriend knew a Net Idol .....unbelievable.

regards worgeordie

and had been in operation for 2 years.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

... and had been in operation for 2 years.

What she lost? Under my understanding she made a winning of 480.000 THB already!!!

Ok, I understand!!! She made this winning before. Now she lost her investment of 100.000 & the 20.000 monthly!!! 

Mhm... maybe the police bring she to court about she is a winner of a ponzi scheme too?

• Confused 1