What cancers or serious ailments can be tested for by a blood or urine test?

simon43

After my recent 'scare' concerning prostate cancer, I want to make sure that my regular health check-ups identify any cancers or serious diseases at the earliest outset.

I'm on top of my PSA and I had a colon cancer test (negative) while in the UK.  But what about other cancers?  Are there cancer indicators to look for in a blood or urine test that I should request? Diabetes? Neurological diseases etc?  Thanks.

• Thanks 1

So of the 7 references to colorectal cancer in the cancer.gov common tumor marker link above, most are to assess treatment after colon cancer has been detected.

Most cancers of the colon seem to start as a polyp that might have been removed 5+ years earlier during a full colonoscopy.

Edited by jerrymahoney

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Was it one of those stool occult blood  tests? the only thing with those is the sample is very small, anyway i get these done annually at Lifecare lab for around 200 baht

What I get at Lifecare lab Pattaya:

Image_20230416065431.jpg

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

What I get at Lifecare lab Pattaya:

Image_20230416065431.jpg

And again from the Cancer.gov tumor marker linked above:

Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)

Cancer types: Colorectal cancer and some other cancers
What's analyzed: Blood
How used: To keep track of how well cancer treatments are working and check if cancer has come back or spread

NB: No mention of screening

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

So of the 7 references to colorectal cancer in the cancer.gov common tumor marker link above, most are to assess treatment after colon cancer has been detected.

Most cancers of the colon seem to start as a polyp that might have been removed 5+ years earlier during a full colonoscopy.

Yes, and why getting scoped (both directions for my) is recommend every 5 yrs after certain age.  Think I'm due next year, for my next one.   Only 1 or 2 very small polyps removed last time.

As I stated earlier, abdominal ultrasound is always good to have, as will show masses, that may or may not need further investigation.

12 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Was it one of those stool occult blood  tests? the only thing with those is the sample is very small, anyway i get these done annually at Lifecare lab for around 200 baht

Yes, it was offered free after I registered with a GP.  So not a colonoscopy.

Also a free Covid booster, free flu and free pneumonia vaccinations.

@khunLA " I always get a full abdominal ultrasound." - Is that to check if you are pregnant?! ????

As I understand it, the gold standard for cancer detection is infusion with radioactive sugar, followed by a PET scan after 60 - 90 minutes. The uptake rate of sugar with cancer cells is faster than with normal cells. A PET scan can detect tiny tumors which would invisible to other procedures such as ultrasound.

I don't know if a PET scan will detect ALL cancers, perhaps Sheryl can elaborate further.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

As I understand it, the gold standard for cancer detection is infusion with radioactive sugar, followed by a PET scan after 60 - 90 minutes. The uptake rate of sugar with cancer cells is faster than with normal cells. A PET scan can detect tiny tumors which would invisible to other procedures such as ultrasound.

I don't know if a PET scan will detect ALL cancers, perhaps Sheryl can elaborate further.

As if CT scan itself is not enough radiation.   Believe that is normally reserved for those with known cancer issues rather than a general test.  MRI w/contrast is what they use for me; with history of cancers.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

PET scans (which are very, very expensive) are not done for routine screening. Much less total body PET scans.

They are done (sometimes)  when there is suspicion of a specific cancer in a specific location.

OP is asking about routine screening.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The gold standard for early detection/prevention of colon cancer is a colonoscopy. More reliable than fecal tests and has the added advsntage of detecting (and allowing removal of) pre-cancerous polyps.

That's correct. Healthy people over 45 - 50 should have a colonoscopy every 10 years. More often if at risk for colon cancer, which most people aren't.  See various guidelines. 

But somewhere between 70 and 80 (maybe 85)  people should stop doing regular colonoscopies. Guidelines vary, some say 72 or 75.

That would be quite a few of AN members.

An example for guidelines:

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

That's correct. Healthy people over 45 - 50 should have a colonoscopy every 10 years. More often if at risk for colon cancer, which most people aren't.  See various guidelines. 

But somewhere between 70 and 80 (maybe 85)  people should stop doing regular colonoscopies. Guidelines vary, some say 72 or 75.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-rectal-cancer/detection-diagnosis-staging/acs-recommendations.html

I would add that the stopping at age 70-80 is assuming prior colonoscopies were normal and you do nto have other high risk factors. . If cancerous or pre-cancerous lesions were found, would not advise to stop then, at least not if in otherwise good shape.

The recommendation to stop at a certain age is because at some point the (small) risk of the procedure outweighs the potential advantages and because colon cancers are usually slow growing, i.e. if colonscopy at age 70 is clear the odds of later dying of colon cancer are small as you'll likely die of something else first. But that equation changes if prior colonoscopy found pre-cancerous lesion or there is a family history of colon cancer or other known risk factors.

Also individual risk factors for the procedure need to be considered. For example, if  on anticoagulants for a-fib or because of a stent etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2023 at 11:41 AM, KhunLA said:

Yes, and why getting scoped (both directions for my) is recommend every 5 yrs after certain age.  Think I'm due next year, for my next one.   Only 1 or 2 very small polyps removed last time.

As I stated earlier, abdominal ultrasound is always good to have, as will show masses, that may or may not need further investigation.

My father had bladder cancer for decades. It finally spread thru his body. The procedure to clean up the polyps is painful, nasty but keep you living. After he hit 90 he had decided never to have another procedure again.

On 4/16/2023 at 7:17 AM, jerrymahoney said:

And again from the Cancer.gov tumor marker linked above:

Carcinoembryonic antigen (CEA)

Cancer types: Colorectal cancer and some other cancers
What's analyzed: Blood
How used: To keep track of how well cancer treatments are working and check if cancer has come back or spread

NB: No mention of screening

CEA is emphatically not suitable for acreening.

On 4/16/2023 at 11:17 PM, Lorry said:

Akin to having  kiss of death.  just got back from India looking at new knee prices.  Cheap, but had both ends done while there colonoscopy etc 1800 baht, 2 polyps found, bit disappointed, they grow fast, 200baht for analysis, expensive in Thailand 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tiber said:

Akin to having  kiss of death.  just got back from India looking at new knee prices.  Cheap, but had both ends done while there colonoscopy etc 1800 baht, 2 polyps found, bit disappointed, they grow fast, 200baht for analysis, expensive in Thailand 

why don't you do a full trip report? location, accomodation, hospitals etc etc, people would appreciate it

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

why don't you do a full trip report? location, accomodation, hospitals etc etc, people would appreciate it

Fat fingers, small phone make it difficult. It's all there to be had bkk to calctta likened to regular stopping bus, that popular, anything but everything it's way cheap, but ask prices first. Went to goa this time, few days there then back. No cataracts, dry eyes tho 200 baht, bone doc for knee200baht, 10 pages ofbloodtesting 800 baht and so on... 10 pages longer than long I should add.. Hotels, booze whatever half price

Edited by Tiber
  • Like 1

Been caught out... Lab results.. Colon cancer... Either chonburi cancer hospital, or red x  si ratcha hospital or even back to India, they pos drool over cancer, still shock to system 

.... Pet scans cheap India 7000 baht, getting bag packed 

Edited by Tiber