Traveling back with visa extension in cancelled passport?

If you get a new passport abroad and the extension is on the old cancelled one, what's the deal at Suvarnabumi when flying back? 30-day stamp on the new passport and visa dead? Or you show the old passport, then what?

2 minutes ago, nigelforbes said:

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as you show both passports. They may tell you to get the stamps transferred before you enter again.

I meant flying back to Thailand. Flying back to Thailand with old (cancelled) and new. There's no place I can have the visa transferred outside Thailand. No time left to do the transfer in TH before I fly out of TH.

Edited by JackGats

I had this situation in China, I got from the issuing Embassy a letter, which stated that your Passport has been changed and with that one and the old original, I went to the immigration and get the left over time stamped in. But that was a few years ago, better ask at the Immigration how to proceed.

• Like 1

One last detail, would customs at the airport stamp the date I'm allowed to stay in Thailand (until expiry of the renewal) into my new valid passport? I'm asking so that I know what I to look out for when I enter Thailand with old and new passport. Not that they do no more than stamp a 30-day visa exempt on my new passport.

13 minutes ago, JackGats said:

One last detail, would customs at the airport stamp the date I'm allowed to stay in Thailand (until expiry of the renewal) into my new valid passport? I'm asking so that I know what I to look out for when I enter Thailand with old and new passport. Not that they do no more than stamp a 30-day visa exempt on my new passport.

You'll get stamped to the expiry date of whatever visa or extension of stay you have.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

You'll get stamped to the expiry date of whatever visa or extension of stay you have.

Someone told me if my old passport has "cancelled" stamps all over it or has one corner clipped off, the visa might lose its valididy (as opposed to when a passport just expires).

Just a minor detail, not mentioned yet in this thread: your question is academic if your extended permission to stay was not protected by a re-entry permit. It is actually the re-entry permit, and not the extension, that is used to enter Thailand. It is even possible (though inadvisable) to have the re-entry permit in the new passport (having received it at the airport on departure) with the extension stamp in the cancelled passport.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2023 at 3:48 AM, JackGats said:

If you get a new passport abroad and the extension is on the old cancelled one, what's the deal at Suvarnabumi when flying back? 30-day stamp on the new passport and visa dead? Or you show the old passport, then what?

In UK, passport office strapped and sealed my old passport to the back of the new one in order to keep continuing. Ideas and permits alive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

In UK, passport office strapped and sealed my old passport to the back of the new one in order to keep continuing. Ideas and permits alive.

Yeah I remember this was still general practice a decade ago. In my country they stapled the old passport to the new. I guess they stopped doing that after many complained about it being cumbersome and unaesthetic.

Edited by JackGats

9 minutes ago, Captor said:

I always thought that immigration only give exstension as long as the passport lasts? Not longer than the old passports expire date.

Correct.  But there is nothing to stop somebody getting a new passport while out of the country before the expiry date of the old one.

4 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Correct.  But there is nothing to stop somebody getting a new passport while out of the country before the expiry date of the old one.

OK, what is the reason for that? I was always thinking better have a passport for the whole extension year.

It means the passport is only valid for less then 5 years. Maybe 4 whole years only. Maybe better doing it this way and struggle with 2 passports and the stamps? I am new to this hence my questions. I am still on my first exstension.

27 minutes ago, Captor said:

OK, what is the reason for that? I was always thinking better have a passport for the whole extension year.

It means the passport is only valid for less then 5 years. Maybe 4 whole years only. Maybe better doing it this way and struggle with 2 passports and the stamps? I am new to this hence my questions. I am still on my first exstension.

First up most passports are valid for 10 years.

They can deteriorate if frequent travel and living in Thailand where they are produced for many thing such as banking, check in hotels etc.

Makes good sense to renew early in some cases. 

Especially with wait time for passport (for some) since covid.

Reentry permits etc remain valid in a cancelled permit. 

The OP does not lose days off his permission of stay in old pp provided he has reentry permit.

31 minutes ago, Captor said:

Frequent travellers will soon fill up a 32-page or 48-page passport. I once needed to replace my passport after only 14 months of heavy use. In the last 45 years, I have never had a passport that lasted for the full 10-year term of the passport. Even when the UK issued 96-page passports, I filled it in seven years.

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up most passports are valid for 10 years.

They can deteriorate if frequent travel and living in Thailand where they are produced for many thing such as banking, check in hotels etc.

Makes good sense to renew early in some cases. 

Especially with wait time for passport (for some) since covid.

Reentry permits etc remain valid in a cancelled permit. 

The OP does not lose days off his permission of stay in old pp provided he has reentry permit.

Understood. In my old country, Sweden, it is only 5 years validity for a passports. I think it is same in all Scandinavian countries but not sure. I think it will come more and more in other countries as well when the different scams and criminality (fake passports) increases around the world. So that is the need for only 5 years. We had 10 years before as well not so long ago.

28 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Frequent travellers will soon fill up a 32-page or 48-page passport. I once needed to replace my passport after only 14 months of heavy use. In the last 45 years, I have never had a passport that lasted for the full 10-year term of the passport. Even when the UK issued 96-page passports, I filled it in seven years.

OK, but stamps in passports (except for visa purpose) is decreasing. In Europe I have not seen or got a stamp that last 20-25 years. Normal travel stamps is a third world thing. I still have some of my old passports and they are full of stamps as you say. The newer ones I have are almost empty. And I have traveled a lot in my work.

1 minute ago, Captor said:

OK, but stamps in passports (except for visa purpose) is decreasing. In Europe I have not seen or got a stamp that last 20-25 years. Normal travel stamps is a third world thing. I still have some of my old passports and they are full of stamps as you say. The newer ones I have are almost empty. And I have traveled a lot in my work.

You are doing the apple and oranges mistake.

I'm Oz and yes recent trip back home was no stamp in or out of Oz.

However I live in Thailand and travel extensively in Asia.

Some visas require full page.

Even annual reentry permit (every year) takes half page.

Thailand and other countries such as Vietnam, stamp out and in.

Sometimes space out stamps slightly and results in 3 trips per page. 

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You are doing the apple and oranges mistake.

I'm Oz and yes recent trip back home was no stamp in or out of Oz.

However I live in Thailand and travel extensively in Asia.

Some visas require full page.

Even annual reentry permit (every year) takes half page.

Thailand and other countries such as Vietnam, stamp out and in.

Sometimes space out stamps slightly and results in 3 trips per page. 

OK, yes I guess it is different in different countries. Thanks! About the original question I will save this topic because I will maybe end up in the same situation with passport change sometime in the future and I don´t trust my memory. And also I will probably show up here with more questions. It is a very good thing that you folks here not getting tired of answering the (stupid sometimes) questions we might have ????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Captor said:

And also I will probably show up here with more questions

IMO , AseanNow is a great forum for advice.

More importantly is that Thailand is a shifting sand on some requirements so this good options for you questions.

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

IMO , AseanNow is a great forum for advice.

More importantly is that Thailand is a shifting sand on some requirements so this good options for you questions.

Yes it is ????. Thanks,