How to install a vpn on a 3bb router

Lookpeter

I used to have an iptv program and using 3bb for my internet. I have just renew my iptv and it seems that now it is impossible. The technicians told that the only way is to install a vpn on the 3bb router. 
Is there someone to help me for the installation or another way to use iptv ?

thank you

What exactly has changed since your iptv last worked?  You only mentioned that you renewed your iptv.

What happens when you try to use your iptv?  

It appears you are still using the same internet connection through 3bb.  Is that true?

Did you change the iptv program?  Did you change what device you use to watch the IPTV?

Edited by gamb00ler

Thanks for your answer . Just before renew it was not working. I had the connection but on the screen there was only the tittle of the channel program. It was nearly time to renew so I renewed with iptv technician online. They make me try many changes on my tv and after more than a week they gave me back what I had paid and told me the only way was to install a vpn on my router.

You have to know that I have a Samsung tv not using android system and I can not install a vpn  app if I do not use android. The only way I think is to install the vpn on the router

I try to do it by myself but it is not my job at all and it looks a little bit difficult for me. 

After a little research I see that Samsung smart TV's do not use Android.  That makes it harder (maybe impossible) to install a VPN on your TV.

Try contacting the major VPN services such as ExpressVPN, NordVPN and see if they can help you.

There may be an alternative to using a VPN.  I'm not familiar with the method described under option 3 on this web page:

https://cybernews.com/how-to-use-vpn/set-up-vpn-on-samsung-smart-tv/#:~:text=Is there a VPN app,doesn't support VPN apps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most conventional routers do not have any kind of option to install VPN software in my experience. They are merely a means to convert regular Ethernet and WiFi IP traffic to whatever transmission format that is being used by the ISP. I would be surprised if any router provided by any Thai ISP would allow installation of VPN software. They are usually "black boxes" with a very fixed set of configurations.

Edited by likerdup1
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Get another router and use it between the 3bb box and the tv. Install the vpn software on the new router and Bob's your uncle.

If it was me the new router would be capable of accepting aftermarket firmware like dd-wrt, Gargoyle, etc. Easier to install the von stuff there. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lookpeter said:

Thanks for your answer . Just before renew it was not working. I had the connection but on the screen there was only the tittle of the channel program. It was nearly time to renew so I renewed with iptv technician online.

You renewed even though you were unable to use the product at the time?

You cannot isntall a VPN app/client on a Samsung TV as it runs a proprietary OS (Tizen). You can install VPN apps/clients on TVs which run Google TV OS (LG, for example).

You cannot install a VPN client on an ISPs router.

Your options remaining:

a secondary router which you modify to run VPN software - this is a complex procedure, one that which, five minutes after getting everything working, will break. Eventuall you may get it to work for a longer period of time.

an android "device" (box, Chromecast w/ Google TV), or Amazon Firestick, which attaches directly to the TV, and can run both your IPTV client and a VPN client.

Ask your IPTV provider for a list of recommended Android TV boxes, and a recommended VPN provider.

How are you using the IPTV client/service? Via a web-site?

Do you have a notebook/PC?

What is the model number of your Samsung TV? Is it attached (wired/WiFi) to your home network?

Edited by bamnutsak

14 hours ago, gargamon said:

Get another router and use it between the 3bb box and the tv. Install the vpn software on the new router and Bob's your uncle.

If it was me the new router would be capable of accepting aftermarket firmware like dd-wrt, Gargoyle, etc. Easier to install the von stuff there. 

sorry but i do not understand all and specialy this '

''new router would be capable of accepting aftermarket firmware like dd-wrt, Gargoyle, etc''

9 minutes ago, Lookpeter said:

sorry but i do not understand all and specialy this '

''new router would be capable of accepting aftermarket firmware like dd-wrt, Gargoyle, etc''

A network router is simply a small computer with limited functionality but usually good quality network connections.

@Lookpeter is saying that you can buy a router that is flexible in that the program (called firmware) that it runs can be changed to a different program than the manufacturer installed on it.  After you change the router firmware you will have a more capable router.  Lookpeter goes on to name a couple of different firmware options you could use.

8 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

You cannot isntall a VPN app/client on a Samsung TV as it runs a proprietary OS (Tizen). You can install VPN apps/clients on TVs which run Google TV OS (LG, for example).

You cannot install a VPN client on an ISPs router.

Your options remaining:

a secondary router which you modify to run VPN software - this is a complex procedure, one that which, five minutes after getting everything working, will break. Eventuall you may get it to work for a longer period of time.

an android "device" (box, Chromecast w/ Google TV), or Amazon Firestick, which attaches directly to the TV, and can run both your IPTV client and a VPN client.

Ask your IPTV provider for a list of recommended Android TV boxes, and a recommended VPN provider.

How are you using the IPTV client/service? Via a web-site?

Do you have a notebook/PC?

What is the model number of your Samsung TV? Is it attached (wired/WiFi) to your home network?

Thank you for your answer and for your help I have heard about this 2 options but i wanted to be sure about the vpn on the router. I am going to work on this and try to find out what i can do by myself. I will let you know.

I was using the iptv via a website but now they give me back what i paid

At home i use a Macbook and i already have a vpn Hotspot Shield 

I do not have here the references of my samsung TV but it is attached wired to the internet

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Lookpeter said:

I do not have here the references of my samsung TV but it is attached wired to the internet

Thanks again.

In a case like this, you can snap a picture of the label on the back of the TV and then post that picture here.

Just now, gamb00ler said:

In a case like this, you can snap a picture of the label on the back of the TV and then post that picture here.

Thanks for your answer i am not at home now that why i do not have the references 

I have maked my vpn in a simple dummie way (I am no expert).

My tv is not a smart tv, so noway to install anything there, as far as I know.

I have installed the vpn on the computer, where I also need it to acces some public apps in my borncountry.

When I need to stream something outside LOS I open it on the computer and connect to the tv with a HDMI cable.

That works and should be possible for most people to install.

I have 3bb and use HMA as the vpn app.

I do not want to hijack this OP discussion, but can the experts tell me if I can install a hard drive onto a 3BB router, as a network drive, and what is the password for a 3BB router if I need to change any settings?

Express VPN can show you a list of routers on which you can install their VPN, but most are only available in USA.

With an Express subscription, and the others ie Nord etc, you can install and run it on 5 or 6 different devices. I have mine on 2 x PCs, my Android phone, Firestick, and my two sons in Dubai have it on their phones in order to be able to use WhatsApp. 

See this, or just Bingle Express on Samsung Smart TV. It is possible.

Does ExpressVPN work on Samsung Smart TV? (vpnranks.com)

Edited by KannikaP

31 minutes ago, Lookpeter said:

Thank you for your answer and for your help I have heard about this 2 options but i wanted to be sure about the vpn on the router. I am going to work on this and try to find out what i can do by myself. I will let you know.

Thanks again.

Rather than add a second router,  I think a better option for you would be to get a second hand laptop just to use with your TV and run the IPTV from the laptop with your vpn installed. Most vpn will allow more than one device.

This is what I do in hotels, just need to change source on the tv and with a wireless mouse all very easy.

You could also install kodi on the laptop and if you can get the hang of that you may not need the IPTV.

• Sad 1

Another option is to buy a Xiaomi TV USB stick.  It's actually a simple Android device to which you can add a VPN and possible the iptv app.

There are probably other brands, but a friend has upgraded his Xiaomi device and gave me his old one that I play around with.

19 hours ago, Lookpeter said:

Thanks again.

Thanks for your help again, I wanted to ask may be stupids questions but i am not an expert

- What is the difference between a Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick ?  

- between the 2 what is better ? i am from france it means that if i want to have french Program I have to buy a french fire stick ?

- a fire stick or an iptv  app do they have the same program ?

- I have read here https://www.vpncompare.co.uk/steps-amazon-fire-tv-stick-thailand/#:~:text=Although you can't buy,the apps don't work. that in Thailand you must download a vpn for the fire stick unless the apps will not work. I have already a vpn  (hotspot shield) , and i asked if i can instal the app on the fire stick  and they say it is possible and they tell me on line how to do. Do i have to believe them ?

Thanks again and sorry for my poor english.

25 minutes ago, Lookpeter said:

Thanks for your help again, I wanted to ask may be stupids questions but i am not an expert

- What is the difference between a Amazon Fire TV or Fire TV Stick ?  

- between the 2 what is better ? i am from france it means that if i want to have french Program I have to buy a french fire stick ?

- a fire stick or an iptv  app do they have the same program ?

- I have read here https://www.vpncompare.co.uk/steps-amazon-fire-tv-stick-thailand/#:~:text=Although you can't buy,the apps don't work. that in Thailand you must download a vpn for the fire stick unless the apps will not work. I have already a vpn  (hotspot shield) , and i asked if i can instal the app on the fire stick  and they say it is possible and they tell me on line how to do. Do i have to believe them ?

Thanks again and sorry for my poor english.

Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV stick are the same thing. They will work anywhere in the World dependant on WiFi strength. Mine works here, UK, Cyprus, Tenerife & USA. It all depends on which apps you have installed on it. I have one called ZOO TV from a guy in UK. £30 a year for almost everything, sports, movies, series, documentaries, and NO VPN required. I have installed the app onto my PC via Bluestacks and that also works but a bit sllow & jumpy.

To set up a vpn (OpenVPN protocol) on a router, you will need an Asus router that has AES-NI hardware acceleration CPU. They are available all over Thailand. You will also need a VPN service, and there are many but only a handful that you should consider.

When you have your router & a VPN subscription, it is a 10 minute setup, ultra simple yet highly efficient and robust solution for iptv and circumventing geo-blocking.

The key metric here is AES-NI equipped routers, otherwise you will struggle to manage the cipher encryption imposed by OpenVPN protocol and your iptv and other streaming platforms will buffer constantly.The newer AX routers by Asus also support Wireguard protocol and setup takes only minutes.

Asus router recommendations: (there are others that support AES-NI)

1. http://i.nvade.it/8hx.  (outstanding, $)

2. http://i.nvade.it/8hx. (very good and $$$)

Edited by khuldude

On 4/23/2023 at 5:22 PM, Lookpeter said:

You have to know that I have a Samsung tv not using android system and I can not install a vpn  app if I do not use android. The only way I think is to install the vpn on the router

I try to do it by myself but it is not my job at all and it looks a little bit difficult for me. 

as a bit of FYI, I have used hacked android TV boxes to run kodi and IPTV and it generally works great cos you can install zomboided VPN on it...

I have a gorgeous looking Samsung TV in another cuntry, they spy on you, I also used a router with openvpn on it briefly and reverted back to the original cos the ISP throttled it from a rock steady 95meg link to about 60meg........you can 'bypass' some stuff by configuring your own DNS stuff ie Adguard DNS server is very good

Edited by driver52

23 hours ago, bignbad said:

I do not want to hijack this OP discussion, but can the experts tell me if I can install a hard drive onto a 3BB router, as a network drive, and what is the password for a 3BB router if I need to change any settings?

again I would use a 'modded' Android TV box with armbian on it, it turns it into a 'small linux computer' then you can do 'anything' with them! google, hold on I'll finf it....this is the thread' *************** awesome lol https://forum.armbian.com/topic/26978-csc-armbian-for-rk3318rk3328-tv-box-boards/page/44/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lookpeter said:

i am from france

ha ha! bonjour, je suis anglais, mais normallement j'habite en France......des ordinateurs que je mentionee ci-dessus etait en France et le router de Orange...

Bon journee!!

PS those fire sticks are pants, as soon as you install some VPN software on them, it confuses the hell out of em lol

Edited by driver52

Cheapest and easiest

1, https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-mt300n-v2/

2. Get your openVPN key and credentials from your VPN provider.

3. Wire the mango router into your 3BB router, set up a wifi network .. then connect your TV to that wifi.

The router already has the software, it's pretty intuitive. It's not so expensive, maybe 1000B, easily enough RAM for IPTV. I have one that I use for testing.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2023 at 2:54 PM, khuldude said:

To set up a vpn (OpenVPN protocol) on a router, you will need an Asus router that has AES-NI hardware acceleration CPU. They are available all over Thailand. You will also need a VPN service, and there are many but only a handful that you should consider.

When you have your router & a VPN subscription, it is a 10 minute setup, ultra simple yet highly efficient and robust solution for iptv and circumventing geo-blocking.

The key metric here is AES-NI equipped routers, otherwise you will struggle to manage the cipher encryption imposed by OpenVPN protocol and your iptv and other streaming platforms will buffer constantly.The newer AX routers by Asus also support Wireguard protocol and setup takes only minutes.

Asus router recommendations: (there are others that support AES-NI)

1. http://i.nvade.it/8hx.  (outstanding, $)

2. http://i.nvade.it/8hx. (very good and $$$)

These two recommendations are the same thing.

• Like 1