Daily Covid-19 cases in Bangkok spike

webfact

Have covid right now (5 days in). Complete non-event. Felt crummy for 1 day in total. Worked at home but couldn't even take time off. Zero impact except for missing a fun weekend out of respect for others. Time to move on from all this...  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Docno said:

Have covid right now (5 days in). Complete non-event. Felt crummy for 1 day in total. Worked at home but couldn't even take time off. Zero impact except for missing a fun weekend out of respect for others. Time to move on from all this...  

How many vaccinations have you had and how many times have you had covid?

14 minutes ago, Docno said:

Congrats for you... Now what about the 1,088 COVID cases that ended up in Thai hospitals in the past week? Not to mention the five others who died...

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Bim Smith said:

Sends out an unjustified fear mongering notice and asks the public not to panic. I thought the majority are vaxxed on what we were told was a 95 percent effective vaccine. Or is this just to look important. Get on with life. 

It's the vaccinated people wearing Mask in trouble....

I never took vaccine, never wearing mask and do not get Covid. 

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, Khunangkaro said:

I've been fully vaccinated and boosted with a bivalent vaccine, always when a mask when outside, and I've never had COVID or been sick from it AFAIK....

Science says the odds are more in my favor than in yours.

"All vaccinated groups had overall lower risk of dying from COVID-19 and testing positive for COVID-19 compared with people who were unvaccinated.

People who were vaccinated with an updated (bivalent) booster dose had lower rates of dying from COVID-19 and slightly lower rates of testing positive for COVID-19 compared with people who were vaccinated but had not received an updated booster dose."

Screenshot_8.jpg.ca814a7f726eec9c74ba36dc17e060a7.jpg

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#rates-by-vaccine-status

2 hours ago, Docno said:

Let's hope you don't fall victim to the following:

Long COVID or Post-COVID Conditions

"Some people who have been infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 can experience long-term effects from their infection, known as Post-COVID Conditions (PCC) or Long COVID."

"Post-COVID Conditions can include a wide range of ongoing health problems; these conditions can last weeks, months, or years."

"While most people with Post-COVID Conditions have evidence of infection or COVID-19 illness, in some cases, a person with Post-COVID Conditions may not have tested positive for the virus or known they were infected."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects/index.html

Some of those post-COVID symptoms can include:

Tiredness or fatigue that interferes with daily life, fever, respiratory and heart symptoms, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, cough, joint and muscle pain, chest pain, fast-beating or pounding heart, neurological symptoms, difficulty thinking or concentrating (sometimes referred to as “brain fog”), headache, sleep problems, dizziness when you stand up, change in smell or taste, etc etc.

Just flew back to the US. Was pleasantly surprised to see alot of people both in the airport and on the plane without a mask. I did not wear one the whole time. Even in Taipei airport, the previous epicenter of fear. What a relief. Great progress. 

20230420_132246.jpg

20230420_132232.jpg

20230420_132213.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'd rather get on with my life at home or outdoors -- not from within a hospital ward with COVID.

So I follow sensible precautions, for myself, and for those around me.  There are no guarantees in this world, but you do the best that you can.

That's good to know. then just continue as normal and don't worry.  eveything you do in this life carries a risk to some extent. And yeah, go and wear your mask if that's what makes you feel safe. 

Edited by Kaopad999

3 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Just flew back to the US. Was pleasantly surprised to see alot of people both in the airport and on the plane without a mask. I did not wear one the whole time. Even in Taipei airport, the previous epicenter of fear. What a relief. Great progress. 

20230420_132246.jpg

20230420_132232.jpg

20230420_132213.jpg

How was the food in economy?

20230420_132246.jpg

20230420_132232.jpg

20230420_132213.jpg

Good. no need for masks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Just flew back to the US. Was pleasantly surprised to see alot of people both in the airport and on the plane without a mask. I did not wear one the whole time.

The U.S. is currently reporting nearly 1,900 new COVID hospitalizations every day, and about 190 new COVID deaths per day. And more than 14,000 new COVID cases per day, during a time when reporting and testing are way down.

Obviously, you're immune from danger....

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The U.S. is currently reporting nearly 1,900 new COVID hospitalizations every day, and about 190 new COVID deaths per day. And more than 14,000 new COVID cases per day, during a time when reporting and testing are way down.

Obviously, you're immune from danger....

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/covid-data/covidview/index.html

I already got Omi. Not my version of danger. Getting in a car and driving. Crossing the road. Rock climbing. That is danger. This was a fairly mild  cold/flu. Lasted a few days. Not worried in the slightest. Zero. A nothing burger. 

You are nothing if not persistent. And very worried. I suggest staying home during "the so called  surge". 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I already got Omi. Not my version of danger. It was a cold/flu. Lasted a few days. Not worried in the slightest. Zero. A nothing burger. 

You are nothing if not persistent. And very worried. I suggest staying home during "the so called  surge". 

A 550% increase in new weekly COVID hospitalizations in Thailand since the start of April is more than a so-called surge. Now at the rate of 1,000+ new COVID hospitalizations per week, as detailed in this thread.

5 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A 550% increase in new weekly COVID hospitalizations in Thailand since the start of April is more than a so-called surge. Now at the rate of 1,000+ new COVID hospitalizations per week, as detailed in this thread.

Then if it concerns you, you can wear a mask or stay at home. No one is stopping you.
Personally none if that worries me. I already had covid last year  and it was nothing more than a mild flu.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You are relentless. Maybe you could apply that persistence to a business idea. You would likely be rich overnight. 

This covid thing just does not concern me. I am over it. Zero fear and nothing you say will change that. I am a covid warrior. LOL. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kaopad999 said:

Then if it concerns you, you can wear a mask or stay at home. No one is stopping you.
Personally none if that worries me. I already had covid last year  and it was nothing more than a mild flu.

Thank you. A voice of reasoning in the continued wilderness of panic. Please. Omi? Are you kidding me? I am more afraid of walking down the stairs. 

• Like 1

Thank you. A voice of reasoning in the continued wilderness of panic. Please. Omi? Are you kidding me? I am more afraid of walking down the stairs. 

Exactly. or corssing the road in Thailand ???? 
I guess some people are just cut from a different cloth. I was never wrapped up in cotton wall as a child, so i don't fear very much. Honestly I can't think of anything more miserable than having to live in constant fear of things we're unable to control. 

Edited by Kaopad999
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

20230420_132246.jpg

20230420_132232.jpg

20230420_132213.jpg

I went to Pats a few months ago nobody on the plane wore a mask just Thais at the airport but no farangs I haven't worn a mask for over a year 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The world has been full of potential Herman Cain Award winners, until they suddenly disappear into the COVID void:

"r/TheHermanCainAward is a subreddit which boasts more than 500,000 members. Its purpose? To "award" those who've died from coronavirus complications after publicly expressing COVID-19 vaccine hesitancy, misinformation, or pandemic-denying memes online."

https://www.wbur.org/endlessthread/2022/04/08/herman-cain-award

"The award is named after American businessman and political figure Herman Cain, a Republican politician who died of COVID-19 complications after attending a 2020 Trump Tulsa rally in support of then-President Donald Trump without wearing a face mask.[

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Cain_Award

4 hours ago, ozimoron said:

Healthy caution is not paranoia. The covid hoax believers here believe anything done to mitigate the risk constitutes paranoia. It's called prudence and it's sensible. Y'all are under the thrall of a certain idiot ex president and disdain for book lernin'. It would be hilarious if people weren't dying as a direct result of the collective stupidity.

People die as a result of stupidity all the time. But to blame "collective stupidity" for Covid deaths? Really? 

What is hilarious is how some people turn a disdain for outdoor mask-wearing into something only "covid hoax believers" would suggest.

I'm not American and am not under the thrall of any ex-president, nor do I have a disdain for "book lernin'". Only a fool would say covid is some sort of 'hoax'. Patently it is not. Patently, though, three years later, most of the rest of the world has moved on. 

What, pray, is so different about Bangkok, compared to any other global city, that sees the vast majority of the urban population continue to mask up? That's when your 'healthy caution' starts to look like paranoia or, perhaps, a disdain for all that lernin' of which you speak. 

The onus of self-protection should devolve to the individual, not be mandated by the state. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Exactly. or corssing the road in Thailand ???? 
I guess some people are just cut from a different cloth. I was never wrapped up in cotton wall as a child, so i don't fear very much. Honestly I can't think of anything more miserable than having to live in constant fear of things we're unable to control. 

People wandering around the shopping malls don't appear to very fearful to me. They look a lot they are wearing masks out of consideration for other people. The greatest efficacy of masks is preventing spreading from infected people to others, not the other way round. Hence, it's a mark of respect for others.

Teenagers, especially girls, seem to have adopted black masks as a fashion statement. They seem happy.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

The onus of self-protection should devolve to the individual, not be mandated by the state. 

There's no national or province-wide mandate from the "state" here in Thailand regarding face mask wear. So the premise of your broad-brush comments regarding Thailand is flawed/faulty from the start.

There are, however, widely held recommendations from public health agencies in many countries around the world (including Thailand) that face mask wear is a good method of reducing people's risk of exposure to COVID.

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

People wandering around the shopping malls don't appear to very fearful to me. They look a lot they are wearing masks out of consideration for other people. The greatest efficacy of masks is preventing spreading from infected people to others, not the other way round. Hence, it's a mark of respect for others.

Teenagers, especially girls, seem to have adopted black masks as a fashion statement. They seem happy.

I have no issues with people wanting to wear masks. It's their freedom to do so, and also other peoples freedom to not wear one. It works both ways. 

9 hours ago, Khunangkaro said:

Same here. Weird that isn't it. Went back to the UK last April for 7 weeks at the so called height of infections and not even a sniffle. The mandatory mask wearing of the plane was difficult though 

• Like 2

On 4/24/2023 at 9:18 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Let's hope you don't fall victim to the following:

Long COVID or Post-COVID Conditions

"Some people who have been infected with the virus that causes COVID-19 can experience long-term effects from their infection, known as Post-COVID Conditions (PCC) or Long COVID."

"Post-COVID Conditions can include a wide range of ongoing health problems; these conditions can last weeks, months, or years."

"While most people with Post-COVID Conditions have evidence of infection or COVID-19 illness, in some cases, a person with Post-COVID Conditions may not have tested positive for the virus or known they were infected."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects/index.html

Some of those post-COVID symptoms can include:

Tiredness or fatigue that interferes with daily life, fever, respiratory and heart symptoms, difficulty breathing or shortness of breath, cough, joint and muscle pain, chest pain, fast-beating or pounding heart, neurological symptoms, difficulty thinking or concentrating (sometimes referred to as “brain fog”), headache, sleep problems, dizziness when you stand up, change in smell or taste, etc etc.

Hope so too. But it's my second dance with the virus and there were no long-lasting effects the last. Whether that means anything or not, I don't know. I tested negative yesterday and feel completely fine. Haven't stopped working (at home) since testing positive. Brain seems none the worse for wear.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:06 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Congrats for you... Now what about the 1,088 COVID cases that ended up in Thai hospitals in the past week? Not to mention the five others who died...

Natural selection. Herd needs some thinning... 

• Sad 1