Can a 60 yrs old foreigner who started working as an employee of a Thai company still enter the social insurances under the Social Security Act?

Usually a foreigners who works in Thailand as employee has access to the Thai social security system. But now, I was told that by law there is access to the system only for foreigners under 60 years of age. If 60 or older, entry is denied.

Is there any possiblity to enter this scheme also for an employee of age 60? I think it makes a lot of sense to enter the system, to have it in addition to a private health insurance.

1 hour ago, Flying Saucage said:

Is there any possiblity to enter this scheme also for an employee of age 60? I think it makes a lot of sense to enter the system, to have it in addition to a private health insurance.

It's a great idea and I've advised many guy who are retired here to work for a year to get into the system. Yes, they had to be under 60. 

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Pib said:

Section 33 stipulates that an employee[2] who is not less than 15 years old and not more than 60 years old is an insurer. In the event that the employee is already insured and at the age of 60 years and still being an employee of the employer shall be deemed that the employee continues to be insured.

11 hours ago, Flying Saucage said:

Might the last paragraph possibly be a way to enter the system if 60 years old, under the mentioned section 40? What are the stipulations of this section 40?

Applicant's Qualifications Article 40

• Be a Thai national or a non-Thai ID card holder whose first digit is 0 or 6 or 7
  • Not less than 15 years of age and not more than 65 years of age
  • People with physical disabilities who recognize their rights
  • Not being insured under sections 33 and 39 or government officials, state enterprise employees

image.png.b0185c8267d6c712cc169bf415a49e1d.png

Edited by DULEROY
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DULEROY said:

Applicant's Qualifications Article 40

• Be a Thai national or a non-Thai ID card holder whose first digit is 0 or 6 or 7
  • Not less than 15 years of age and not more than 65 years of age
  • People with physical disabilities who recognize their rights
  • Not being insured under sections 33 and 39 or government officials, state enterprise employees

image.png.b0185c8267d6c712cc169bf415a49e1d.png

It's not so much such compensations in which I am interested in. It's the access to treatment in under the governmental health scheme which I am interested, for the case that the sum insured by my private insurance turns out to be not sufficient, or that at higher age the private insurance becomes too costly to afford it.  

But it seems that there is absolutely no way to get access to this anymore, if 60 yrs or older, and without Thai ID.

Edited by Flying Saucage