Holding wages

seajae

Our daughter finally finished uni etc to be a doctor and sat her exam last weekend, she is slated to start working at the local hospital soon so I asked if she is looking forward to earning her own money. My wife informed me she may have to wait for 3 to 6 months before she is actually paid as the govt can hold back their wages, she said it can happen in all govt jobs when people first start working for them which surprised me, how are these people supposed to pay their accounts, rent, food etc if they are not being paid, in any other country it would be illegal to not pay for work done. Has anyone else heard of this happening, I am a bit scepticle about it but as we have a few family members working for the govt she may well be correct but I would like to find out if others are aware of this happening.

I'm reliably informed this can happen in govt hospitals. It can take time for Bangkok to process initial wages.

Some hospitals advance staff wages from hospital funds until the official pay arrives.  

Edited by Farma
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

The brother of my ex in Udon Thani finished his studies as a doctor and commenced work.  Same problem. He got his mother and his aunty (mother's sister) to borrow money against their chanotes so that he could buy a car, rent a place in town, and to tide him over until the first (lump sum) payday arrived.

Once he had the car and a place of his own a new girlfriend suddenly appeared on the scene.  When he received his first big pay check he failed to pay back Mum and Aunty.  Apparently he had spent all of the money on the new GF.

Months later he was fired from his job for not showing up for work and the new car was eventually repossessed, the GF moved on, and both Mum and Aunty lost their houses to the loan shark.

This happened many years ago and it was my first big heads up regarding the selfishness and irresponsible nature of Thai men.

So one A-hole makes half of the country like that, sure get a bit more perspective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I really dislike Thai bashing. Similar type things happen in every culture. Maybe not the "exact" circumstance of Mom & Aunt borrowing money or the Thai gov not paying on time, but men and women have failed to pay back loans to their families since almost forever.

well look at the US and after O's statements telling all to get a college degree in order to make it, but he forgot to say get a degree worth while but instead they got a lot of big loans and now are awaiting Biden and the Democrats to pay off their loans.   Whatever happened to responsibility for one's actions? Obviously not not just here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I really dislike Thai bashing. Similar type things happen in every culture. Maybe not the "exact" circumstance of Mom & Aunt borrowing money or the Thai gov not paying on time, but men and women have failed to pay back loans to their families since almost forever.

Whatever, wherever, it’s wrong. When someone is in dire straits through illness etc, that’s different. Ripping off your family is disgusting, and yes, you do see a lot of it in Thailand, especially if it’s the foreigner they’re ripping off ! I arrived in 1984, and saw it happen often, fell for it once, a girls child in hospital !! Never fell for that sort of story again. Luckily , we’re were a close knit crowd of foreigners in the small village of Kata beach , that was live and learn in Thailand.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/28/2023 at 5:38 PM, geisha said:

Whatever, wherever, it’s wrong. When someone is in dire straits through illness etc, that’s different. Ripping off your family is disgusting, and yes, you do see a lot of it in Thailand, especially if it’s the foreigner they’re ripping off ! I arrived in 1984, and saw it happen often, fell for it once, a girls child in hospital !! Never fell for that sort of story again. Luckily , we’re were a close knit crowd of foreigners in the small village of Kata beach , that was live and learn in Thailand.  

I haven't 'seen a lot of it in Thailand'. I'm willing to bet you haven't either. I've read a lot about it on forums like this one but that's a completely different thing altogether.