Conversion

Good afternoon,

May I ask you for your help? Thing is that a friend of mine will be entering Thailand on a 60 day tourist-VISA. His intentions is to go further and in the end apply for a extension of stay based of Retirement. Yes he is over 50 and he is from Denmark,,,

Can you plse tell me how it is being done also what regards timeline to expect it takes as well other stuff that you are aware of...

I am very grateful for any help.....

The normal basic steps required (assuming he does not use an agent) are:

1. Open a Thai bank account (if not already done so) and deposit 800,000 baht with proof it came from abroad.
  2. With at least 15 days left on his existing permission to stay, apply for a change of visa status at Immigration, based on retirement. This is taken under consideration, with a report back date about 30 days later.
  3. On the report back date, receive a Non O visa (immediately stamped used) and a 90-day permission to stay. Note that, sometimes, the paperwork for the under consideration period is incomplete on the report back date, and you must return later.
  4. Towards the end of the 90-day permission to stay (you are usually allowed to apply somewhere between 30 and 45 days early) you apply for and receive a 12-month extension..

As he is a Danish citizen, as an alternative to the 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account, he should be able to get an income letter from the Danish embassy in Bangkok that states that he earns a minimum of 65,000 baht per month in income.

More details on the visa status change (typically called "conversion") and annual extension of stay is available in many previous threads.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, ian carman said:

I was in Bangkok bank in Yasothon last week and the usher saw me and said “ you want open bank account my manager speak English “ and took me to the counter .A lot different to most other branches down south 

So for clarity...

What happened? 

Did you open a bank account? 

What is your status in Thailand.

What were the requirements to open account in Chiang Rai region? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So for clarity...

What happened? 

Sorry if I was vague but I didn’t open one or ask what was required I was just pointing out the difference in attitude compared to others experiences 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

So for clarity...

What happened? 

If you like to know about Chaiyaphum..... For years the very same requirements to open a bankaccount for falang:

A - tabien ban

OR

B - Wifes tabien ban

OR

C - Certficate of recidency

D - Passport of course

And off we go...

3 minutes ago, glegolo18 said:

C - Certficate of recidency

Most likely a simple doc to obtain your region.

The issue is for Bangkok folk where to obtain a certificate of residence from CW you need to have made a TM47 report and that's not possible on a tourist visa or visa exempt. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2023 at 7:56 AM, mokwit said:

Seems rental agreement is required.

'Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy
of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt
Past three months.'

Full details here: https://bangkok.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022C1_09.pdf

Yes, the requirements when having entered Thailand on a Tourist Visa/Visa Exempt entry and applying for a 90-day Non Imm O Visa, state:

#8 - Rental Agreement between the Applicant and the Landlord ; A copy of house registration. Location map of the house and a rental receipt Past three months.

But in practice, this is often not achievable and unless you are dealing with a dimwit Immigration Officer or with a rogue Imm Office, Immigration will accept alternatives. 

E.g.:

# If you are staying at a Hotel and explain that you are still searching for a place to settle down.  Friendly Hotels can even write a long-term rental agreement of you staying there, when you need such to meet Immigration requirements.

# If you are not renting but staying at friends or at your girlfriend's house.  In that case, the owner of the place where you are staying can register the address on the IO TM-30 website, which will allow him/her to submit a TM-30 of you staying at the premises.  You can also do this yourself on behalf of the owner. The only thing needed to do so is a copy of the house-book of the place you are staying, and a signed front/back copy of the Thai ID-card of the owner. 

• Thanks 1