Non-B visa, stop employment, start new employment, new Non-B visa? Or first a tourist visa?

What is the situation if a foreigner is officially employed at a Thai company with a Non-B visa and work permit and this employment ends and then the person will start in a new company?

As far as I know the person must apply for a new Non-B visa for the new company.

If employment for company A ends end of the month and starts for the next company on the 1st of next month then I guess this is straightforward. 

But what about if the employment in company A ends and the employment in company B starts maybe two months later?

Should the employee go out of Thailand and enter Thailand again with a tourist visa? And then later apply for a business visa? Does it have any disadvantage if there is a tourist visa in between two Non-B visas?

few options...

you can continue the work permit and the visa if you do all the paper work in the same day.

if there is a time starting to new work yes, best is take the documents from the ne work and get new non-b

another option is get TR and change it to Non-b  in this options there is a danger. what happened to some people i know is they finished their work and went to savanakhet to get new TR visa before starting new job. they didnt want to be overstay. At savanakhet TR visa refused with a reason of 'you lived too long in thailand no TR visa to you'. this happened to my 3 friends in different times. was really many years ago at least 5-6 yrs. 

I would get the documents from the new work and get my non-b if possible. If cannot i would ask the new work if they can give me a letter with stamp and so on saying i will take my TR and they will change it to non-b later when docs are ready. just in case.

I think if you come back with TR visa its the same paper work with coming back with non-b

Edited by problemfarang
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

You cannot get a Non - B in Thailand. You have to travel out of the country. A teacher friend of mine just went through this exercise from one school to another and needed to do the bus trip to Laos. He said it was a pain in the (Ars*)

You only get a 90 single entry. So best get all the W/P paperwork lined up as well!

Flight to PP would have been better.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2023 at 1:51 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But what about if the employment in company A ends and the employment in company B starts maybe two months later?

Should the employee go out of Thailand and enter Thailand again with a tourist visa? And then later apply for a business visa? Does it have any disadvantage if there is a tourist visa in between two Non-B visas?

A follow up question about above.

If the employee is over 50 years old and not sure if the new employment will start in a month or maybe 4 months, is it a good idea to apply for a retirement visa after the employment ends?

And then apply for a new business visa maybe 4 months later?

Or is this a problem in some way?

Is there any rule if in between employments a tourist visa or a retirement visa is better? Are there any other alternatives (when continuing to live in Thailand). 

Money in the bank for the retirement visa is not a problem. 

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

A follow up question about above.

If the employee is over 50 years old and not sure if the new employment will start in a month or maybe 4 months, is it a good idea to apply for a retirement visa after the employment ends?

And then apply for a new business visa maybe 4 months later?

Or is this a problem in some way?

Is there any rule if in between employments a tourist visa or a retirement visa is better? Are there any other alternatives (when continuing to live in Thailand). 

Money in the bank for the retirement visa is not a problem. 

one more solution is the Smart visa that we can sponsor through our cooperative. It is the most flexible solution, allowing to work. Rosho

5 minutes ago, Rosho said:

one more solution is the Smart visa that we can sponsor through our cooperative. It is the most flexible solution, allowing to work. Rosho

Are you a sponsor of AseanNow.

See you advertising a lot in threads. 

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Interesting. What are the conditions to get such a smart visa? 

As a Social Enterprise Cooperative, equivalent to a State Agency, we can sponsor Smart visas from the BOI. The cost is 65,000 THB/year. The Smart visa comes with a work authorization, multi-entry, and is renewable. Until the end of May we run a promotion at 55,000 THB. Check out https://thailand-success.solutions. Our website is <deleted>ty but our service is good ????

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you a sponsor of AseanNow.

See you advertising a lot in threads. 

I am a sponsor, as you can see on my badge. Helping people with our innovative and widely unknown solutions, spending Sunday afternoons with it and trying to make an honest living with it. OK for you?

The process can go different ways depending on the people involved (you, employers and immigration staff) and how you/they handle it.

It's not always necessary to leave Thailand and enter again with a new visa but sometimes it is. There is a lot of paperwork to process and theoretically it can be done in the same day. However, TIT, and it doesn't always work out. The slightest error in the paperwork can throw a spanenr in the works. 

As for:

"what about if the employment in company A ends and the employment in company B starts maybe two months later?"

A couple of possibilities:

Possibility 1. 

You cancel your old permission to stay when you leave the old employment. (You employer might insist on it or it might be more convenient for you.)

Possibility 2.

You don't cancel your current permission to stay and the old company is willing to write a letter for you 2 months later saying you have left their employment at that later date. (You need to be on good terms with your old employer.)

As for: 

"Does it have any disadvantage if there is a tourist visa in between two Non-B visas?"

No, apart from the cost and inconvenience if you have to leave the country. Once you have your paperwork in order for the new job, you should be able to change it from a TR to a Non-B in country. 

• Like 1