Can I keep my Kasikorn bank account without holding anymore a Non O visa extension

As I plan to spend only a few months a year in Thailand, I will probably not ask for a new Non O extension.

#1 : As the rules change any time, I want to make sure that I can keep my Kasikorn bank account open as a tourist and that Kasikorn staff would not force me to close it next time I will show my passport at their desk. 

#2 : Can I still use the Kasikorn App abroad without a Thai sim card.

Thanks, for answers.

Edited by Gatsby69

#1 - Kasikorn Bank only asks for your Passport to ensure that it is you, when wanting to do a transactin on your account inside one of their branches.  It doesn't matter on which Visa you are, and they will surely not close down you account when you switch from a Non Imm O Visa to a Tourist Visa or a VisaExempt entry. 

#2 - I have a Kasikorn Bank-account, and I do not need my mobile phone to access my account on-line on their Website (I simply need to type in my user-name and Password, and I have access to my account on K-Biz).  However, when I am abroad I am not able to do any transactions as the verification code for doing so is send to my mobile-phone with Thai SIM-number (and that SIM does not work outside Thailand). 

I am not sure whether it is possible to opt for a different 'verification' method instead of your Thai phone-number, but it is worth checking out if you need to do transactions with that bank-account when abroad.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 1) the requirements are only for opening account, not for keeping it. So yes, you should be able to keep it as long as there is money in the account that supports the annual fees deduction and has some activity on it.

2) I don't use their app, only their website, which requires OTP only, and that OTP is to the Thai phone number registered with the account. That may be a way around using phone outside Thailand, but you would have to keep Thai number registered. If it's pre-paid, you can top it up in several installments, to extend validity up to 1 year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

#1 - Kasikorn Bank only asks for your Passport to ensure that it is you, when wanting to do a transactin on your account inside one of their branches.  It doesn't matter on which Visa you are, and they will surely not close down you account when you switch from a Non Imm O Visa to a Tourist Visa or a VisaExempt entry. 

#2 - I have a Kasikorn Bank-account, and I do not need my mobile phone to access my account on-line on their Website (I simply need to type in my user-name and Password, and I have access to my account on K-Biz).  However, when I am abroad I am not able to do any transactions as the verification code for doing so is send to my mobile-phone with Thai SIM-number (and that SIM does not work outside Thailand). 

I am not sure whether it is possible to opt for a different 'verification' method instead of your Thai phone-number, but it is worth checking out if you need to do transactions with that bank-account when abroad.

If you have iPhone, you could enable Wifi-Calling in Phone app settings, which will route all calls and SMS over the internet to your phone. In that case messages and calls will be received anywhere in the World, as if you were physically in Thailand. No roaming is needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Why not, easy to switch on global roaming at no additional cost and incoming SMS are free.

Thanks for clarification. 

As I do not have credit on my Thai SIM I am not able to use it for calls or Internet-access outside Thailand. But if switching on global roaming will let me receive incoming SMS with the verification code, that would make it possible to do also do transactions on my KK-account  abroad.

• Like 2

Thanks for the answers, but I read in the post below that you don't need to keep using your Thai Sim Card to access the Bank App from abroad.  Anyway, I will activate the DTAC global roaming before to leave to avoid being blocked.

Edited by Gatsby69

What is meant by "switching on global roaming"? Is it sufficient to turn on  data usage while out of Thailand? I remember receiving messages from Bangkok Bank in Europe. They would not always come through but sometimes they did. I don't remember what I did or didn't do for this to happen or not.

54 minutes ago, JackGats said:

What is meant by "switching on global roaming"?

Once set up in Thailand, you (or the OP) don't need data roaming but network roaming which will connect your Thai SIM to a partner network in your home country.  Receiving SMSs is then free as mentioned above.

7 minutes ago, treetops said:

Once set up in Thailand, you (or the OP) don't need data roaming but network roaming which will connect your Thai SIM to a partner network in your home country.  Receiving SMSs is then free as mentioned above.

I see. That is what I have always got with my AIS number. When I am outside Thailand I set my phone to search for a local partner network. I never subscribed to any roaming package though.

2 hours ago, JackGats said:

What is meant by "switching on global roaming"? Is it sufficient to turn on  data usage while out of Thailand? I remember receiving messages from Bangkok Bank in Europe. They would not always come through but sometimes they did. I don't remember what I did or didn't do for this to happen or not.

Basically It's an on/off switch. I'm with AIS prepaid and you can turn it on or off in the app (see attached image).

There are three separate protocols that the telcos provide; voice, SMS and data. The telcos don't let you enable roaming for just one of the protocols, it's all or nothing. 

So when you go overseas you need to enable internal roaming but when you get to the other country you have to disable mobile data and don't make or receive any calls. If you'll get charged like a wounded bull ????

Screenshot_20230429_152002_myAIS.jpg

• Thanks 2