Best temp internet

MRToMRT

Whats the best temporary internet solution to someone who is just visiting for two months? I assume through a phone sim but I want to power a large TV as well for movies et al. Is phone sim the way to go? Any recommendations (Bangkok).

• Thumbs Up 1

You could just get an unlimited prepaid and use your personal hotspot from your phone. Any carrier will do. Pocket travel wifi modems are terrible. If you're really keen get along to Banana and buy a sim modem router.

Edited by ozimoron
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Whats the best temporary internet solution to someone who is just visiting for two months? I assume through a phone sim but I want to power a large TV as well for movies et al. Is phone sim the way to go? Any recommendations (Bangkok

No such thing… it depends on the exact location and the equipment available to you. Can even differ from floor to floor. 
If on a low floor, NT Wireless Thunder 3 month package could potentially be the best, but you need to have equipment that can see the signal. Next potentially best option could be DTAC unlimited 30 Mbps, again location and equipment permitting. 
Again, due to location, AIS 20 Mbps could be better than a 30Mbps connection that doesn’t deliver it full potential due to location. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-20mbps-ais-super-wifi-i3834334596-s16374244388.html

The only way to know is to do speed tests with a network SIM at the location. If it delivers then one can obtain a SIM package as described, using smartphone or modem as aforementioned. 
Too simplistic to write ‘unlimited prepaid’ as a solution. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Unlimited one year sim card in your second sim card slot and tether your phone via USB or hotspot.

Ask the people in your area which phone company they get the best reception on.

If you are near any regional centre or city just go with True because they have the cheapest unlimited sims.

1 hour ago, NextG said:

No such thing… it depends on the exact location and the equipment available to you. Can even differ from floor to floor. 
If on a low floor, NT Wireless Thunder 3 month package could potentially be the best, but you need to have equipment that can see the signal. Next potentially best option could be DTAC unlimited 30 Mbps, again location and equipment permitting. 
Again, due to location, AIS 20 Mbps could be better than a 30Mbps connection that doesn’t deliver it full potential due to location. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-20mbps-ais-super-wifi-i3834334596-s16374244388.html

The only way to know is to do speed tests with a network SIM at the location. If it delivers then one can obtain a SIM package as described, using smartphone or modem as aforementioned. 
Too simplistic to write ‘unlimited prepaid’ as a solution. 

Thanks, I actually did get an AIS post paid with a one year contract. I originally asked the guy for prepaid and he asked how long I will be staying. When I told him at least a year he sold me the post paid deal.

The downside of using a phone rather than a portable wifi device is the phone must be plugged-in to keep the battery going and it can also get very hot, depending on the phone's processor capabilities.  It can also make taking calls and texting while using the hotspot inconvenient.  A friend who was in Thailand for a little more than 2 months tried using his phone but for the above reasons, switched to a portable wifi device and found it easier to use.  He also said there were less drop-outs with the wifi device.  Sorry, I don't recall the brand or model of the device he bought.  Something pretty cheap from Lazada  I think.

a 'portable' mobile hotspot or 'pocket wifi' that has battery is about the same as sharing hotspot from your phone, though you can rent them

an LTE/5G router that plugs in to AC power and takes a SIM card gets better reception don't need to worry about power/charging and will generally be more reliable these starts around 1,500 baht to around 5000 baht for 5g ones that let you have speed of around 300-700mbps 

If you're only going for the cheap SIM that's unlimited but capped speed  at around 10-30mbps, the cheaper router will do, the SIM might cost around thousand baht with unlimited data for 12 months, plus another thousand and half for the router, say you could have whole solution for 3000 baht 

If you were to pay for -on top- internet package on your existing pay as you go top up sim, unlimited data capped at 10mbps already costs around 1000 baht a month, so for 3 months, it's better to get these 12 months data sim to use even with your phone alone is worth it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

Thanks, I actually did get an AIS post paid with a one year contract. I originally asked the guy for prepaid and he asked how long I will be staying. When I told him at least a year he sold me the post paid deal.

Yeah… they’ll do that. Better for them, worse for you. Though perhaps you get network priority for paying more. 

38 minutes ago, digbeth said:

a 'portable' mobile hotspot or 'pocket wifi' that has battery is about the same as sharing hotspot from your phone, though you can rent them

an LTE/5G router that plugs in to AC power and takes a SIM card gets better reception don't need to worry about power/charging and will generally be more reliable these starts around 1,500 baht to around 5000 baht for 5g ones that let you have speed of around 300-700mbps 

If you're only going for the cheap SIM that's unlimited but capped speed  at around 10-30mbps, the cheaper router will do, the SIM might cost around thousand baht with unlimited data for 12 months, plus another thousand and half for the router, say you could have whole solution for 3000 baht 

If you were to pay for -on top- internet package on your existing pay as you go top up sim, unlimited data capped at 10mbps already costs around 1000 baht a month, so for 3 months, it's better to get these 12 months data sim to use even with your phone alone is worth it 

Sigh… not good when you just pull figures out of the air. Unlimited data 10Mbps is 1000 baht??!! Why would they choose to pay more using an “existing SIM” for someone else’s data usage? Especially when you are suggesting that they buy a new data SIM anyway. 

All the more ridiculous when I already posted an AIS Unlimited 20Mbps for 300 baht…

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Unlimited one year sim card in your second sim card slot and tether your phone via USB or hotspot.

Ask the people in your area which phone company they get the best reception on.

If you are near any regional centre or city just go with True because they have the cheapest unlimited sims.

DTAC and NT Wireless have the cheapest… by why allow facts to get in the way? ????

24 minutes ago, NextG said:

Sigh… not good when you just pull figures out of the air. Unlimited data 10Mbps is 1000 baht??!! Why would they choose to pay more using an “existing SIM” for someone else’s data usage? Especially when you are suggesting that they buy a new data SIM anyway. 

All the more ridiculous when I already posted an AIS Unlimited 20Mbps for 300 baht…

I offered the figure as a comparison, that a cheap data sim plus a router could pay for itself compared to just buying add on data

I just went to AIS's site, click on the 30 day add-on

If there are better deals, it's not obvious how to get them on AIS's website

getting a new sim with unlimited package is always better deal, but some of these sim are only sold through third party and not at the mobile phone providers own shop and not even shown on website

Screenshot 2023-04-30 123824.png

13 minutes ago, digbeth said:

I offered the figure as a comparison, that a cheap data sim plus a router could pay for itself compared to just buying add on data

I just went to AIS's site, click on the 30 day add-on

If there are better deals, it's not obvious how to get them on AIS's website

getting a new sim with unlimited package is always better deal, but some of these sim are only sold through third party and not at the mobile phone providers own shop and not even shown on website

Screenshot 2023-04-30 123824.png

I posted the link to the AIS SIM on this very thread… That’s why it pays to check before you post. Otherwise you can end up providing conflicting and confusing advice. 

1 hour ago, NextG said:

Yeah… they’ll do that. Better for them, worse for you. Though perhaps you get network priority for paying more. 

I've used it for a year now, how is it worse for me? I pay 400 a month for unlimited internet.

Edited by ozimoron

In the major population centers(?) DTAC coverage should be OK.

And you get such DTAC SIMs at about every phone shop/booth.

So no need to buy online like the one year packages.

Cost about 200 to 300 Baht/month depending on speed (15 to 30 Mbit/s). 30 Mbit/s is more than good enough for HD videos and video calls.

Make sure the SIM is being registered and activated for you.

For DTAC it is possible to do online but a bit tedious.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

I've used it for a year now, how is it worse for me? I pay 400 a month for unlimited internet.

Perhaps because I pay AIS 200 baht per month for ‘Unlimited Internet, unlimited any network calls and unlimited Super WiFi’…

5 hours ago, NextG said:

@digbeth is entirely correct.  Just get a unlimited sim (12 month True sim 6mbps unlimited is 1270 baht on Shopee).  And put it in the the second sim card slot on your phone.  Done.  

If you are in a regional area you might want buy a waterproof sim router you can stick outside on a waterpipe pole to improve reception.  They are about 1500 baht on Shopee.  So @digbeth cost estimation of 3,000 baht all up is bang on (including 300 odd baht to buy a six meter length of water pipe)

Its hilarious to see @NextG posting with such didacticism given he has no clue what he is talking about.  Why is he questioning that you can buy an unlimited sim for around 1000 baht.  And why does he think paying even 200 baht a month for throttled data is cheaper than getting unlimited for 12 months for 1200 baht.

https://shopee.co.th/TRUE-ซิมเทพทรู-เลือกเบอร์-Sim-6Mbps-ซิม-ทรู-เทพ-Simเทพ-TRUE-ใช้ได้ไม่อั้น-1-ปี-ไม่ลดสปีด-4G-unlimited-6mb-sim-net-true-i.32852149.2638373763?sp_atk=e2702433-10c7-4a7b-9f59-8f9a73e33dea&xptdk=e2702433-10c7-4a7b-9f59-8f9a73e33dea

Edited by Adumbration

26 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

@digbeth is entirely correct.  Just get a unlimited sim (12 month True sim 6mbps unlimited is 1270 baht on Shopee).  And put it in the the second sim card slot on your phone.  Done.  

If you are in a regional area you might want buy a waterproof sim router you can stick outside on a waterpipe pole to improve reception.  They are about 1500 baht on Shopee.  So @digbeth cost estimation of 3,000 baht all up is bang on (including 300 odd baht to buy a six meter length of water pipe)

Its hilarious to see @NextG posting with such didacticism given he has no clue what he is talking about.  Why is he questioning that you can buy an unlimited sim for around 1000 baht.  And why does he think paying even 200 baht a month for throttled data is cheaper than getting unlimited for 12 months for 1200 baht.

https://shopee.co.th/TRUE-ซิมเทพทรู-เลือกเบอร์-Sim-6Mbps-ซิม-ทรู-เทพ-Simเทพ-TRUE-ใช้ได้ไม่อั้น-1-ปี-ไม่ลดสปีด-4G-unlimited-6mb-sim-net-true-i.32852149.2638373763?sp_atk=e2702433-10c7-4a7b-9f59-8f9a73e33dea&xptdk=e2702433-10c7-4a7b-9f59-8f9a73e33dea

Even digbeth admits that they weren’t “entirely correct”. I suggest that you are just being childish. It wouldn’t be for the first time…

Perhaps you should read the OP before posting…

The request is for two months of Internet access to power Internet TV etc

That means relatively high speed. 

Two months of unlimited data @ 200 baht(unlimited 10 to 15 Mbps) or 300 baht(unlimited 20 Mbps) per month equals 400 or 600 baht. 

You are suggesting that they pay 1200 baht for 6 Mbps. Doesn’t seem intelligent. 
I suggest that it is you who does not know what he is talking about(as per usual). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NextG said:

Perhaps because I pay AIS 200 baht per month for ‘Unlimited Internet, unlimited any network calls and unlimited Super WiFi’…

They never throttle your speed regardless of usage? Did you read the fine print?

The aforementioned 3 month duration, full speed, unlimited data SIM from NT Wireless; https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-3-เดือน-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-399-i.235326805.5378961093

399 baht

Best way to fall flat on your face is to start an argument on a subject about which you know little…

Edited by NextG

6 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

They never throttle your speed regardless of usage? Did you read the fine print?

They do not… Certainly nothing to suggest so in the fine print. 

Already posted an example of unlimited 20 Mbps for 300 baht per month: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/ais-20mbps-ais-super-wifi-i3834334596-s16374244388.html

I don’t just write things to impress.. I stick to the facts. 

Edited by NextG
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

The aforementioned 3 month duration, full speed, unlimited data SIM from NT Wireless; https://shopee.co.th/-เน็ตไม่อั้น-3-เดือน-NT-wireless-net-Thunder-399-i.235326805.5378961093?xptdk=3c3dc432-bd4c-4a00-92aa-055085e16196

399 baht

Best way to fall flat in your face is to start an argument on a subject about which you know little…

Are you sure that's not throttled?

2 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

Are you sure that's not throttled?

Don’t be silly ☺️  I just told you. Facts. 
Check out Mickymaus’s review on it. 
It’s for fixed point home Internet rather than a mobile service. 

Edited by NextG

14 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Overlooking your didacticism…. anyone who may have good reception with DTAC can do better than the Truemove H deal: https://shopee.co.th/product/240855998/9724255357

It includes unlimited free calls to any network, where the Truemove H SIM does not and it is cheaper. 
Truemove H SIM includes just 60 minutes of Any network calls. 

15 hours ago, NextG said:

Even digbeth admits that they weren’t “entirely correct”. I suggest that you are just being childish. It wouldn’t be for the first time…

Perhaps you should read the OP before posting…

The request is for two months of Internet access to power Internet TV etc

That means relatively high speed. 

Two months of unlimited data @ 200 baht(unlimited 10 to 15 Mbps) or 300 baht(unlimited 20 Mbps) per month equals 400 or 600 baht. 

You are suggesting that they pay 1200 baht for 6 Mbps. Doesn’t seem intelligent. 
I suggest that it is you who does not know what he is talking about(as per usual). 

Whatever dude.... The OP just wants a quick and easy connection to the internet.  He is not after heart surgery.

1 hour ago, Adumbration said:

Whatever dude.... The OP just wants a quick and easy connection to the internet.  He is not after heart surgery.

You seem to think that you know better than the OP himself about what he wants. 
He described exactly what he wants. Nothing you wrote conforms to that. 
Take an extended rest. It certainly seems as if you need it; you posts seem somewhat confused of late…

Two months of relatively fast Internet to power a “large TV and for movies et al”… for a visitor. 
‘Brain of Australia’ suggested an annual SIM with a max speed of 6 Mbps whilst ‘pooh-poohing’ the very idea of a far less expensive solution that actually fits the specification. Time for you to recalibrate perhaps?