Vaping THC : lung damage?

For decades I have had outbreaks of chronic bronchitis at regular intervals. Usually the symtoms (having to clear my throat all the time) go away after a few days' use of a Symbicort turbohaler. This time the turbohaler seems hardly to work at all.

The only thing I've been doing new of late is taking a puff at a Ghost Jack Herer vaping pen. I've been doing so 4 or 5 days a week, taking a single puff each time. I feel no burning nor bronchitis symptoms right after puffing. In fact the symtoms tend to come later in the day or at night. Question: could this modest vaping habit be the cause of my lung condition? I've read horror story about how harmful, even lethal, vitamin E acetate (a common additive in THC oil vaping) can be.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

edited to add: Just to be clear such a device would of course be illegal here in Thailand. Both because it contains extracted concentrated THC, and it is a vaporizer. So not sure how the mods will come down on this subject/thread?

The TH in THC was for "tetrahydro", not for "Thailand". Vaping is, as you rightly point out, illegal in Thailand.

Edited by JackGats
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

So you're vaping oil not dry herb?

If so why not try dry herb on lower temps so no clouds of vape?

Ok, so there's that possibility too. I'll shop around for such a device. Would it then still fall under the vaping ban? 

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So you're vaping oil not dry herb?

If so why not try dry herb on lower temps so no clouds of vape?

1 hour ago, JackGats said:

Ok, so there's that possibility too. I'll shop around for such a device. Would it then still fall under the vaping ban? 

Can't say this would make sense at all, given the underlying, decades-long lung condition.

You'd have to vape four times the amount of dry-herb (flower) to get the same effects. The Ghost disposable has 85% - 90% THC. Generally speaking flower is 20%. (yes, yes, we know some flower is 5% THC, and some ranges into the higher 20's.)

I would stop vaping immediately, and consult a physician, especially given...

3 hours ago, JackGats said:

the turbohaler seems hardly to work at all

Have you been diagnosed with COPD? Or some other condition?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Have you been diagnosed with COPD? Or some other condition?

No COPD. My breathing is normal. It's just pflegm building up in my throat. I've started on anti-acids in case it was reflux this time. But if feels identical to what I felt whenever I got episodes of bronchitis. I'm not sure reflux can mimic that 100%. Tends to be worse when lying down though.

I bought a Dabwoods online. First device I like after trying many others which contained flavours which bothered my allergies. I vape lightly and one lasted a month. BTW I have  noticed BIB vaping.

Edited by d4dang
grammar

36 minutes ago, JackGats said:

No COPD. My breathing is normal. It's just pflegm building up in my throat. I've started on anti-acids in case it was reflux this time. But if feels identical to what I felt whenever I got episodes of bronchitis. I'm not sure reflux can mimic that 100%. Tends to be worse when lying down though.

Maybe you should try an expectorant. I would suggest oregano oil, but there are many over the counter. I have noticed more symptoms in this heat and smog myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly I don't know why Vaping has even mentioned as a causative factor here, especially with air pollution being so bad over the last few months. Viral/ bacterial infection, chronic bronchitis, acid reflux, allergies are all likely more significant factors, than one or two puffs on a vape pen now and then. 

Obviously smoking weed is legal in Thailand, so why not do that if you really need it. After all we're only talking about an insignificant amount.

Ps: the symptoms you describe could be post-nasal drip. Do you have an allergy at present, eg, dry weather allergy, reaction to smog?

Edited by mommysboy
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Ps: the symptoms you describe could be post-nasal drip. Do you have an allergy at present, eg, dry weather allergy, reaction to smog?

Thought of that too, especially since the symtoms go away with cold tablets containing tripolidine (an antihistaminic) + pseudoephedrine. But if I'm not wrong this combination can also act on the lungs.

Alas, post-nasal drip seems to be something one can do little about. As to allergies, I'm anxious to see what happens when I get out of Thailand where I can be without aircon and/or ceiling fan.

Opera Snapshot_2023-04-30_141656_www.google.com.png

Edited by JackGats
added pic

The truth of it is always inconvenient, especially when preaching to the choir. Nobody that smokes cannabis in any form should delude themselves into thinking the “medicinal” benefits of smoking, in any form, outweighs the risks of inhaling anything. Cannabis smoking is directly associated with increased risks of bronchitis, lung infections, chronic cough and increased mucus buildup. Sounds like pretty much all your symptoms. 

So the argument I see and read is, ‘no combustion, no tar, it’s cleaner, it’s purer….” All true, with the exception of dabbing (wax, shatter, sauce, sugar, rosin….). BUT, you are still inhaling an irritant, a hydrocarbon at that (in the case of dabs and all its form). There are abundant articles that mention the horrors of inhaling the diluents: PG, PEG, T. Acetate in vape carts but the actual constituents, I.e distillate or oil or flower is of equal concern. 

Vaping may be better than burning a joint (still the number mode of consumption) but how much better? I have discussed this with MDs: GP’s, cardiologists, pulmonologists and oncologists. Is anyone surprised that none of them advise their patients to smoke anything? Inhaling anything, especially a purified hydrocarbon diluted with terpenes for viscosity (The latest solvent less SOP is rosin+terpenes) can’t have any positive long term benefits. In 2022, 80% of the vape carts tested were contaminated with residual solvents and pesticides. 

I smoke cannabis (in all its forms) and will continue to smoke because I enjoy it. It’s not “my medicine”, it’s my enjoyment and my business. I don’t tell myself it’s good for me or the ‘positive effects’ outweigh the possible deleterious effects.  As we all know, there are many delivery systems of cannabis. As a person of science I can tell you vaping or dabbing will never be the acceptable mode of delivery for any of the medicinal attributes of cannabinoids. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

In 2022, 80% of the vape carts tested were contaminated with residual solvents and pesticides. 

Not sure if this is what you are referencing?

California Lab Finds Nearly 80% Of Illicit Cannabis Vape Cartridges Are 'Unfit For Consumption'

https://www.analyticalcannabis.com/articles/california-lab-finds-nearly-80-of-illicit-cannabis-vape-cartridges-are-unfit-for-consumption-312272

• Like 2

Bam, thanks for the link. I was citing a statistic and no specific article, though just as many legal, licensed extractors are failing at that rate for the same reasons. We can liken the term “illicit” to any extractor operating within an unregulated market, like right here.

I neglected to mention, the very nature of cannabis vape liquid is a distillate extraction, a lipophilic (oil loving/oil soluble)  compound. If anyone has ever touched some, you know how hard it is to get off without alcohol or other solvent. Water does nothing.

Imagine that aerosolized in your lungs, attached to the mucosa lining. Hard to imagine asking the question, “is this doing any harm?”

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

I was citing a statistic and no specific article, though just as many legal, licensed extractors are failing at that rate for the same reasons.

Can you share any background which justifies such a "citation"?

22 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

We can liken the term “illicit” to any extractor operating within an unregulated market, like right here.

By "right here" you mean Thailand? Yeah, I wouldn't buy a cart manufactured here.

1 hour ago, SamuiGrower said:

I don’t tell myself it’s good for me or the ‘positive effects’ outweigh the possible deleterious effects.

I don't think this makes you unique, rather you're in the majority with the rest of us.

1 hour ago, SamuiGrower said:

As a person of science I can tell you vaping or dabbing will never be the acceptable mode of delivery for any of the medicinal attributes of cannabinoids. 

For some 'medical' applications requiring higher doses, and for younger and older patients, vaping is actually a decent delivery system. And a "person of science" usually never says "never".

5 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Likely air pollution is the most common cause.

Vaping THC (as distinct from nicotine vaping) has been implicated in acute lung injuries in rare instances. 

But you use it so sparingly that it can't possibly be the cause.

Acute lung injuries from vaping are rather rare, not even proven, and tend to occur in young people who consume industrial amounts, often where mixed drug use is a factor.

Is Vaping Bad For You? Side Effects, Risks, Nicotine, Marijuana, More (healthline.com)

• 3 weeks later...

For some reason cannabis consumption has been stuck in the primitive dark ages for...ages.

When they extract essential oils from a flower do they light the whole flower on fire? No, they heat it gently. What's left over in the bowl or from the joint when you combust (smoke) weed? The answer is white colored, wispy ash. That's because the black <deleted> went inside YOU. What's left when you use a dry herb/flower vaporizer is black colored, dense material. This is the healthy-er option. That doesn't mean it's healthy. You are still sucking in hot, oily vapor. But it's way better than setting it on fire and sucking it in which is just plain stupid. 

Edited by Oww

"I've read horror story about how harmful, even lethal, vitamin E acetate (a common additive in THC oil vaping) can be. "

Vaping itself causes no harm ( a lot less then smoking ). This includes THC. However , the horror stories are true since you can NEVER vape oils . Vaping oil causes a condition called "popcorn lung" and as far as i know it is irreversible damage . Vitamin E in this also causes this and should not be vaped at any time. 

13 hours ago, Oww said:

What's left when you use a dry herb/flower vaporizer is black colored, dense material.

Not in my experience (I use 190 C), greenish/brown, but this depends on the temperature and the device of course.

I've never weighed the biomass before and after.

Some say 60% is retained after dry herb vaping, and of the 40% "consumed" 20% (assumes 100% vaporization, which obviously doesn't happen) is THC.

Is dry herb vaporizing 100% safe? Of course not. No is making that assertion.

43 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Who would have guessed breathing in hot toxic gases on a regular basis might cause breathing problems !

Welcome to Bangkok.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's a risk factor with any chemical inhaled, ingested into the body.

Plenty of chain smokers of whatever that didn't die of respiratory ailments.  If relief of decades of pain, or living circumstances is only a sacrifice of a couple years life expectancy, or not, then possibly well worth any risk involved, or not.

I'm certainly not giving up BBQ, beer, butter or sugar, so a little ganga now & then isn't going to do me in any earlier, hopefully.  Not after being an habitual smoker for about a decade, decades ago.

Some of the krap movies I've been watching lately, you have to stoned to tolerate.  And still didn't help.  At best, put me to sleep early and out of my misery ????

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Plenty of chain smokers of whatever that didn't die of respiratory ailments.  If relief of decades of pain, or living circumstances is only a sacrifice of a couple years life expectancy, or not, then possibly well worth any risk involved, or not.

Not really comparable as most smokers are doing 40-80 a day, while cannabis users are doing 1/2-2 a day.

So expect the smokers to be at least 40x more at risk.

• Thumbs Up 1