Police and medical check for OA Visa

Hi

I am a UK citizen

62 year of age

Married to a Thai.

I have sufficient funds for the 800k bank deposit requirement

We left Thailand a few years ago but are now looking to return so I am looking at Visa options and I am not up to speed (even after reading through numerous threads). I was looking at Non Im OA visa requirements and see it requires a police and medical check. Cut and paste below from Thai Ministry of foreign affairs website

1. Eligibility

1.1 Applicant must be aged 50 years and over (on the day of submitting application).

1.2 Applicant not prohibited from entering the Kingdom as provided by the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979).

1.3 Having no criminal record in Thailand and the country of the applicant’s nationality or residence.

1.4 Having the nationality of or permanent residence in the country where application is submitted.

1.5 Not having prohibitive diseases ( Leprosy, Tuberculosis, drug addiction, Elephantiasis, third phase of Syphilis) as indicated in the Ministerial Regulation No. 14  B.E. 2535.

Are the same items required for a Non im O visa and I correct in my understanding that the O visa can be obtained in Thailand

Any advise on best options would be appreciated

Thanks

14 minutes ago, hullmonkey1 said:

Are the same items required for a Non im O visa and I correct in my understanding that the O visa can be obtained in Thailand

Non O does not require medical also no police check etc.

IMO good option is to enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain your non O in Thailand.

Forget the non O-A option unless it's for a one/two year visit. 

Non O-A also requires insurance.

Non O does not. 

Best option is to some extent dependant on if it's ongoing stay or just an extended visit. 

@Red Phoenix has instructions to enter visa exempt to non O pathway. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Quick summary based on Aus requirements which should be same as UK

As you said an O-A visa requires a Police name check and medical check, plus also 12 month health insurance and 800k baht equivalent in home bank. If you leave and return just before 12 months is up you will get another 12 months free (if have 12 month insurance)

An O visa (issued in Aus) requires 90 days health insurance and A$2000 in home bank. It can then be extended for 12 months in Thailand with 800k baht deposited in Thai bank for 2 months (I think without health insurance?)

An O visa issued in Thailand just requires 800k baht in Thai bank (extend for 12 months once 800k in bank for 2 months)

Note: for the o visa extension you need a re-entry permit to return (1900 baht single, 3800 multi). O-A visa you can leave and return anytime no charge

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Non O does not require medical also no police check etc.

IMO good option is to enter Thailand visa exempt and obtain your non O in Thailand.

Forget the non O-A option unless it's for a one/two year visit. 

Non O-A also requires insurance.

Non O does not. 

Best option is to some extent dependant on if it's ongoing stay or just an extended visit. 

Thanks for the Info Dr Jack. Plan is to move back to Thailand indefinitely. Can a O be obtained in the UK before travel?

52 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

When I applied in Belgium (my home-country) 4-5 years ago for the Non Imm O-A visa, the Police check was just a print-out from my local municipality showing that I had no criminal record, and it was provided on the spot at no cost. For the medical check, I simply asked my brother MD to write a statement that I did not have any prohibitive diseases.  Simple as that, and both accepted. 

Due to the upped Health-Insurance policy coverage requirements (and corresponding higher fees) it was not beneficial anymore for me to apply every 1-2 year for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, and so I switched to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

NOTE: I did PM you a comprehensive document "Guideline for long-stay in Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa or a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement" outlining all the steps (and the available options) to apply for one of those Visas and subsequent extensions, as well as how to switch from a Non Imm O-A Visa to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or vice versa).

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Quick summary based on Aus requirements which should be same as UK

As you said an O-A visa requires a Police name check and medical check, plus also 12 month health insurance and 800k baht equivalent in home bank. If you leave and return just before 12 months is up you will get another 12 months free (if have 12 month insurance)

An O visa (issued in Aus) requires 90 days health insurance and A$2000 in home bank. It can then be extended for 12 months in Thailand with 800k baht deposited in Thai bank for 2 months (I think without health insurance?)

An O visa issued in Thailand just requires 800k baht in Thai bank (extend for 12 months once 800k in bank for 2 months)

Note: for the o visa extension you need a re-entry permit to return (1900 baht single, 3800 multi). O-A visa you can leave and return anytime no charge

Thanks for the info Pattaya57.

On the point below:

Note: for the o visa extension you need a re-entry permit to return (1900 baht single, 3800

Does this mean the re-entry permit is required to travel outside Thailand?

10 minutes ago, hullmonkey1 said:

Thanks for the Info Dr Jack. Plan is to move back to Thailand indefinitely. Can a O be obtained in the UK before travel?

Yes.

If you have a Thai  bank in your name only a good option is to enter visa exempt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hullmonkey1 said:

Yes .

A non O is single entry. 

A re-entry permit would be required to exit and reenter Thailand.

A non O-A is a multi entry permit valid for 12 months

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, hullmonkey1 said:

Thanks for the info Pattaya57.

On the point below:

Note: for the o visa extension you need a re-entry permit to return (1900 baht single, 3800

Yes, once the O visa 12 month extension is granted you need to apply for a re-entry permit if you leave and return which keeps your extension valid. If you leave without it, your extension is cancelled

O-A is a multi-entry visa and you get 12 months every time you re-enter within the first 12 month validity (if you maintain insurance). That's how you can get 2 years out of it.

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

When I applied in Belgium (my home-country) 4-5 years ago for the Non Imm O-A visa, the Police check was just a print-out from my local municipality showing that I had no criminal record, and it was provided on the spot at no cost. For the medical check, I simply asked my brother MD to write a statement that I did not have any prohibitive diseases.  Simple as that, and both accepted. 

Due to the upped Health-Insurance policy coverage requirements (and corresponding higher fees) it was not beneficial anymore for me to apply every 1-2 year for a new Non Imm O-A Visa, and so I switched to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement.

NOTE: I did PM you a comprehensive document "Guideline for long-stay in Thailand on a Non Imm O-A Visa or a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement" outlining all the steps (and the available options) to apply for one of those Visas and subsequent extensions, as well as how to switch from a Non Imm O-A Visa to a Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement (or vice versa).

Red Phoenix, Thanks for the info and the guidelines doc. Much appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1