Is Now a Good Time to Buy Gold Bars?

11 minutes ago, bignok said:

You don't have a clue if you think 2020s is the same as 1930s.

You obviously can't read. I said If we fine ourselves in a situation like the 1930. The clue is not what is happening today, but what could happen when fiat is so devalued you might need a wheelbarrow full of cash to go shopping.  

4 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

You obviously can't read. I said If we fine ourselves in a situation like the 1930. The clue is not what is happening today, but what could happen when fiat is so devalued you might need a wheelbarrow full of cash to go shopping.  

So pigs might fly is what you are saying. Meanwhile gold has gone up 5% in 12 years. 

• Confused 1

Just now, bignok said:

So pigs might fly is what you are saying. Meanwhile gold has gone up 5% in 12 years. 

I've been buying gold for 3 years. If I cash out now I would be up 15%. Are you sure you even know what you are talking about?

6 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I've been buying gold for 3 years. If I cash out now I would be up 15%. Are you sure you even know what you are talking about?

5% pa after inflation is zero or perhaps a loss. Are you sure you understand the basics of investing?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

5% pa after inflation is zero or perhaps a loss. Are you sure you understand the basics of investing?

just pointing out that your comment that gold is up 5% over the last 12 year. Is wrong as I could make a return of 15% for 3 years. But if you want to bring inflation into the equation, Show me any investment that has returned more than inflation. 

I may be standing still But I haven't lost. The average inflation rate  for Thailand from 2020 - 2023 is 2.75%. So doing better than the inflation rate.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

just pointing out that your comment that gold is up 5% over the last 12 year. Is wrong as I could make a return of 15% for 3 years. But if you want to bring inflation into the equation, Show me any investment that has returned more than inflation. 

I may be standing still But I haven't lost. The average inflation rate  for Thailand from 2020 - 2023 is 2.75%. So doing better than the inflation rate.  

Gold up a lot in 6 months. But overall last 10 to 12 years poor.

2.25% return is fairly poor. S&p500 etfs average 10% a year.

2 minutes ago, CharlieKo said:

I'm a beginner trader with about 2 years experience. I find ETF's easiest to trade. Don't have time to make it anything more than a part time hobby.

20 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I'm a beginner trader with about 2 years experience. I find ETF's easiest to trade. Don't have time to make it anything more than a part time hobby.

How much brokerage do you pay?

On 5/5/2023 at 5:15 PM, Buffy Frobisher said:

I agree with @Proton. Hua Seng Heng is by far the best for commissions, at least for 99.9% gold which I've been buying from them for years. And be sure to get physical gold and stash it safely in a vault, not paper receipts which they also offer. At some point demand will outstrip supply if there's a failure of the $, and those holding paper will have a huge headache.

Can you confirm if Hua Seng Heng, particularly at Seacon Square will accept payment for gold with the Bangkok Bank App?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2023 at 1:45 PM, owl sees all said:

It is true that some countries are trying to lessen their exposure to their US$ commitments. But I don't see dumping. If the US$ goes kaput it will have a profound effect on FIAT currencies throughout the world. AS for buying gold. I can't find out who has large stores of gold to sell. And an estimated 40% of the world's gold is held by individuals, so they can't get their hands on that. Can they? Not so sure if one lives in the US.

Hope you are right about WW3 not happening. I've got my bunker and stores ready; just in case.

But to return to the OP. Buy, buy buy!.

The Wall Street Journal sent shock waves through the financial world Saturday night when they reported that the FDIC seized nearly $14 billion in foreign deposits at Silicon Valley Bank in the Cayman Islands last March, mostly from Chinese investment firms, which had been waiting to gain access to their funds.

It’s not happening.

And that sends a clear message to those owning the more than $1 Trillion Foreign Deposits at Chase and Citibank. 

A U.S. Debt Crisis Looms...

https://healthimpactnews.com/2023/14-billion-in-foreign-deposits-at-silicon-valley-bank-were-not-bailed-out-more-than-1-trillion-foreign-deposits-at-chase-and-citibank-as-u-s-debt-crisis-looms/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

The Wall Street Journal sent shock waves through the financial world Saturday night when they reported that the FDIC seized nearly $14 billion in foreign deposits at Silicon Valley Bank in the Cayman Islands last March, mostly from Chinese investment firms, which had been waiting to gain access to their funds.

It’s not happening.

And that sends a clear message to those owning the more than $1 Trillion Foreign Deposits at Chase and Citibank. 

A U.S. Debt Crisis Looms...

https://healthimpactnews.com/2023/14-billion-in-foreign-deposits-at-silicon-valley-bank-were-not-bailed-out-more-than-1-trillion-foreign-deposits-at-chase-and-citibank-as-u-s-debt-crisis-looms/

Indeed!

Just a word of caution to anyone thinking of buying gold. Please do not be tempted by the 'half-price' offerings from West Africa. It might seem a good deal but best to be careful.

Also the 'buy one; get one free' offers coming from India. I bought a ring for the Mrs and it was good, but the other (free) one was 'iffy'.

Best to steer clear.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1