Arrested for Overstay by Immigration Police

On 5/15/2023 at 1:54 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Not when we've heard stories of passports taking months, just an unnecessary risk, but some people aren't organised enough

On a side note my UK passport is due for renewal during June of 2024.

My marriage extension is due in October 2023 so I will get that done and then apply through VFS for a new one. I would think that 9 months will be long enough.

10 minutes ago, billd766 said:

On a side note my UK passport is due for renewal during June of 2024.

My marriage extension is due in October 2023 so I will get that done and then apply through VFS for a new one. I would think that 9 months will be long enough.

Sounds like a good plan, worry free

• Like 1

Here is an update on my friend and his issues with the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok.

He returned to Canada using an Emergency Travel Order and hired a lawyer, he's getting ready to sue the government.

There is a law in Canada that says passports can't be issued to people who are in arrears for child support payments. This is why the embassy couldn't issue him a new passport but they never told him this reason. They just said they couldn't renew his passport because a certain government dept. was blocking the renewal.

His ex-wife (Canadian) went to court to get the child support payments increased but he never received any notification of the court date or the verdict. So she got the increase since he didn't appear in court. The increase was granted and the payments became in arrears because the existing payments were less than the new court ordered payments, thus preventing him from getting a new passport.

However, someone in the government also cancelled his passport prior to the expiry date, and also the embassy didn't issue an emergency travel order, in a timely manner, to allow him to return to Canada to get a new passport. This is the basis of the law suit.

More to come on this topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Here is an update on my friend and his issues with the Embassy of Canada in Bangkok.

He returned to Canada using an Emergency Travel Order and hired a lawyer, he's getting ready to sue the government.

There is a law in Canada that says passports can't be issued to people who are in arrears for child support payments. This is why the embassy couldn't issue him a new passport but they never told him this reason. They just said they couldn't renew his passport because a certain government dept. was blocking the renewal.

His ex-wife (Canadian) went to court to get the child support payments increased but he never received any notification of the court date or the verdict. So she got the increase since he didn't appear in court. The increase was granted and the payments became in arrears because the existing payments were less than the new court ordered payments, thus preventing him from getting a new passport.

However, someone in the government also cancelled his passport prior to the expiry date, and also the embassy didn't issue an emergency travel order, in a timely manner, to allow him to return to Canada to get a new passport. This is the basis of the law suit.

Interesting.  Thanks for the update.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 2:12 PM, Banana7 said:

So, A problem of entirely his own fault.

Not some grand conspiracy case of the Bangkok embassies incompetence and poor service and ineptitude

I dealt with the Bangkok Canadian embassy for 25 years, multiple passports, registering my son for citizenship, Canadian visa for my then wife. All done courteously and efficiently.

I have been in the embassy and seen some epic meltdowns by people that aren't prepared/expect some premium service that embassies don't provide.

Is the CBC still going to do an investigative article about the dead beat dad?

He'll won't be able to  renew his drivers license and vehicle registration also without paying his past child support 

Good luck trying to sue the government

9 minutes ago, kwonitoy said:

So, A problem of entirely his own fault.

Not some grand conspiracy case of the Bangkok embassies incompetence and poor service and ineptitude

I dealt with the Bangkok Canadian embassy for 25 years, multiple passports, registering my son for citizenship, Canadian visa for my then wife. All done courteously and efficiently.

I have been in the embassy and seen some epic meltdowns by people that aren't prepared/expect some premium service that embassies don't provide.

Is the CBC still going to do an investigative article about the dead beat dad?

He'll won't be able to  renew his drivers license and vehicle registration also without paying his past child support 

Good luck trying to sue the government

Absolutely wrong! Not entirely his fault. The Canadian Government had no legal reason to cancel his passport. They had a right to not renew it, but not to cancel it. Also the service received from the Embassy was pathetic., no way near what you received.

Why do think he is a dead beat dad? He received no notification that he had to go to court nor anything about the judgement against him. How can you fault a person for not knowing? Probably whoever was obligated to notify him didn't do an adequate job. They wanted to screw him. The increase in payment was small, in the $100-200 range. He had been paying, he just didn't know about the increase. Of course he has now complied with the court order and increased the payment. He is a responsible dad, not a deadbeat.

He has hired a law firm and they are preparing the case against the government for malicious prosecution, dereliction of duty, etc., from non-cohesive series of ministries, etc. etc. You are right, he needs some luck suing the government. He case need to be well researched, all the facts and evidence gathered, freedom of information request processed, etc. to be successful - lots of work. This is just part of a larger strategic plan. The issue is far from completion. In time we'll learn how this matter gets concluded.

4 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Absolutely wrong! Not entirely his fault. The Canadian Government had no legal reason to cancel his passport. They had a right to not renew it, but not to cancel it. Also the service received from the Embassy was pathetic., no way near what you received.

Why do think he is a dead beat dad? He received no notification that he had to go to court nor anything about the judgement against him. How can you fault a person for not knowing? Probably whoever was obligated to notify him didn't do an adequate job. They wanted to screw him. The increase in payment was small, in the $100-200 range. He had been paying, he just didn't know about the increase. Of course he has now complied with the court order and increased the payment. He is a responsible dad, not a deadbeat.

He has hired a law firm and they are preparing the case against the government for malicious prosecution, dereliction of duty, etc., from non-cohesive series of ministries, etc. etc. You are right, he needs some luck suing the government. He case need to be well researched, all the facts and evidence gathered, freedom of information request processed, etc. to be successful - lots of work. This is just part of a larger strategic plan. The issue is far from completion. In time we'll learn how this matter gets concluded.

The Canadian government can do anything they want to my, yours, or your friends passport, that's because we do not own them.

Read page 1 of your passport, "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada"

They can cancel it, revoke it or do anything they want with it without anyone's permission or notification because they own it, not us

Trying to sue the government over this is I think futile, 

I would be interested to see the outcome of the case though.

Good on your friend for catching up on the child care though

5 hours ago, kwonitoy said:

The Canadian government can do anything they want to my, yours, or your friends passport, that's because we do not own them.

Read page 1 of your passport, "This passport is the property of the Government of Canada"

They can cancel it, revoke it or do anything they want with it without anyone's permission or notification because they own it, not us

Trying to sue the government over this is I think futile, 

I would be interested to see the outcome of the case though.

Good on your friend for catching up on the child care though

You're wrong about the passport. They can't cancel or do anything they want unless it is granted to them by law.

There nothing futile about this. Watch and wait, you'll learn about law in Canada.

• Like 1