Arrested for Overstay by Immigration Police

14 hours ago, swerve said:

The Canadian embassy in Bkk issues new passports quickly (2 weeks).  I've had a couple done there.  A friend's son got one done fast last month. Not sure why your friend couldn't renew his in 3 months.  Extension of stays end upon passport expiry.

A close friend had a similar issue renewing his Canadian passport. Issues with identification and communication issues with the BKK embassy. 
Long story short, expired visa, many months overstay, 150K฿ to get around the issue via an ‘agent’ 
It does sound like there are some issues with renewals there ????????‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Banana7 said:

How is it that immigration Police get to override a court order or decision?

Perhaps the judge had changed his mind and issued an arrest warrant (if there was any). 
Does he have any legal issue in Canada ?

15 hours ago, bignok said:

Why do they need to be polite? Just fill in forms and pay fees. Be done in 1 hour. Get within 3 weeks.

No matter what job you are doing, if you are serving the public, you should always be polite, provided of course that the customer is also polite.

• Like 1

I too am Canadian and I too need a new passport. However I decided to return to Canada to get a new passport because of the lack of cooperation and service from the BKK Embassy, exhibited when dealing with my friend. I don't want to risk being in Thailand with an expired passport, or dealing with uncooperative Embassy staff. Each time I have visited the Embassy, the staff have never been polite to me, never been on-time for the appointment and seem to have a superiority attitude.

One thing that for some reason never ceases to amaze me, even though it is so common, is how many losers there are in the world who need to be unpleasant to other people to feel good about themselves.  Even in jobs where you would think that they would get a lot out of it and appear successful, they still have this need to put others down.

17 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I listened to  Russian blogger who brought up this problem. He said many that left because of the war were now having problems since it takes 5 months to get a new PP from their embassy. The embassy does not give out temp PPs, and you do not get the new one without turning in your old one.So they have no choice but to return to Russia for the renewal.

Good, hope they walk into a Ukrainian barrage 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Toby1947 said:

Good, hope they walk into a Ukrainian barrage 

I find it funny that people would wish ill will on someone that does not want to get involved or disagrees with something their country is doing. I know some of you are lock step "My country right or wrong" types, but to wish that someone that agrees with your view should fight and die fighting against your view sounds really messed up.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/3/2023 at 9:13 PM, Old Croc said:

I'm calling bs on this one.

Canada is not some banana (!) republic in Africa.  A passport renewal in reasonable time for genuine citizens would be just a formality. It's obvious to me that the OP (or his friend) have issues.

I call your comments BS. Everything I have written is true. The Embassy of Canada in Bangkok and the local staff they hired are not for competency, or skills. The local employees are an embarrassment to Canada.

He had another court appearance several days ago. The judge released him and said he had 10 days to resolve the matter with the Embassy. He went home. A few hours later, immigration police arrived, told him he had 1 hour to pack his bag and the they were taking him to BKK IDC. An hour later, he was in custody, being transported to IDC BKK. Today he is now in living in hell, BKK IDC.

Thanks for being a supportive friend and being there in these difficult times. Best additional help you could offer here is to write to IRCC in Ottawa and the Canadian Embassy of this consequence of their negligence and irresponsibility. This is what happens when you are a citizen of a country whose embassy staff spend half of their time drowning their pancakes with that disgusting syrup they harvest from Maple trees.

Very grateful for the regimental Ordnung of my country's embassy in Silom. Passports there always arrive punctually from the Bundesdruckerei in Berlin.

• Confused 1

This is utter insanity, and embarrassing as a fellow citizen of Canuckistan.

Have you considered going to the media, perhaps in your friend's hometown?  Get him to send you some covert photos from the jail, attach the line conversation screenshots, generate some sympathy.  The media usually love "Canadian stranded overseas" stories.  

Not to cast aspersions on your friend, but is there anything, anything at all, that may have happened in Thailand to possibly give someone motive to want revenge?  Could be a simple thing that makes one local person call their friend in immigration, who calls a higher up, who calls.... you get the picture. 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

This is utter insanity, and embarrassing as a fellow citizen of Canuckistan.

Have you considered going to the media, perhaps in your friend's hometown?  Get him to send you some covert photos from the jail, attach the line conversation screenshots, generate some sympathy.  The media usually love "Canadian stranded overseas" stories.  

Not to cast aspersions on your friend, but is there anything, anything at all, that may have happened in Thailand to possibly give someone motive to want revenge?  Could be a simple thing that makes one local person call their friend in immigration, who calls a higher up, who calls.... you get the picture. 

He will go to the media in the near future once he returns to Canada.

He had flights to leave Thailand on May 12, approved by Thai immigration and Global Affairs Canada (GAC). But the Embassy canceled the flights because they couldn't prepare an emergency travel order (ETO) before the flight. Embassy said it would take at least a week to prepare a ETO. Thai immigration were dumbfounded as to why the embassy would require such a long time to issue a ETO and also didn't undertstand why the Embassy approved the flights if the ETO couldn't be produced in time.

I complained to my MP, who is in contact with GAC, and suggested GAC phone the embassy staff and coach them through the process of issuing a ETO.

He now has approved flights for 13 May and should be on his way to Canada. I am still waiting to hear if he has arrived in Canada.

He may have pissed-off the embassy staff by confronting them with their lies about the timelines for renewing his passport. He started the renewal process in November and had been promised  a new passport in less than a month. He called the embassy frequently and still didn't have a new passport by February. The embassy was fully aware of the consequences for a foreigner not having a valid passport and not having permission to stay in Thailand. He suspects the Embassy contacted Thai immigration and had him arrested.

Edited by Banana7

5 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

He will go to the media in the near future once he returns to Canada.

He had flights to leave Thailand on May 12, approved by Thai immigration and Global Affairs Canada (GAC). But the Embassy canceled the flights because they couldn't prepare an emergency travel order (ETO) before the flight. Embassy said it would take at least a week to prepare a ETO. Thai immigration were dumbfounded as to why the embassy would require such a long time to issue a ETO and also didn't undertstand why the Embassy approved the flights if the ETO couldn't be produced in time.

I complained to my MP, who is in contact with GAC, and suggested GAC phone the embassy staff and coach them through the process of issuing a ETO.

He now has approved flights for 13 May and should be on his way to Canada. I am still waiting to hear if he has arrived in Canada.

He may have pissed-off the embassy staff by confronting them with their lies about the timelines for renewing his passport. He started the renewal process in November and had been promised  a new passport in less than a month. He called the embassy frequently and still didn't have a new passport by February. The embassy was fully aware of the consequences for a foreigner not having a valid passport and not having permission to stay in Thailand. He suspects the Embassy contacted Thai immigration and had him arrested.

Is it possible that he caused certain Thai staff at the Canadian embassy to "lose face" by exposing their incompetence? This might explain a lot...  Most consulates and the like have a large local contingent working. I have renewed my passport in Japan 3 times and never saw a Canadian face! All local hires. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Is it possible that he caused certain Thai staff at the Canadian embassy to "lose face" by exposing their incompetence? This might explain a lot...  Most consulates and the like have a large local contingent working. I have renewed my passport in Japan 3 times and never saw a Canadian face! All local hires. 

Yes, it is possible that Embassy staff "lost face" for their gross incompetence.

Your "friend" did something very wrong, numerous times, to end up in this situation.

I had a new Canadian Passport issued in Bangkok with zero problems.

The staff are polite and efficient.

Secondly, if the Judge says he has 10 days of freedom to sort out the mess, and is arrested a few hours later, again, something is very wrong somewhere in this story, as the Judge has far more authority than any police department.

A 1000 baht law student could have easily sorted this out for him, with your help on the outside.

And while in IDC, he is complaining about the cost of coffee, when there are plenty incarcerated who can not even dream about drinking anything resembling coffee.

Very strange story, much necessary information missing, methinks.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Banana7 said:

I am happy to report that my friend was released from IDC BKK, got an emergency travel order,  flights on Japan Airlines from BKK to NRT to YVR and landed in Vancouver Canada yesterday on May 13. Now I waiting to see what he does with news media and investigative reporters.

He is at least partially to blame for not getting the passport earlier. I've done a year early before

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

He is at least partially to blame for not getting the passport earlier. I've done a year early before

Why do say that?

He started the process to obtain a new passport in November 2022normal processing time is less than a month, and this was what the Embassy said. No new passport by February 2023 and no emergency travel order either.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Banana7 said:

Now I waiting to see what he does with news media and investigative reporters.

Do you really think that he is important enough to warrant reporters, news media?

He overstayed in Thailand, which is a crime.

He somehow botched up getting a new passport from the Canadian High Commission, which most Canadians never had a problem with.

And now you seem to think that hordes of reporters will be awaiting him and his "story"?

You are delusional.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Do you really think that he is important enough to warrant reporters, news media?

He overstayed in Thailand, which is a crime.

He somehow botched up getting a new passport from the Canadian High Commission, which most Canadians never had a problem with.

And now you seem to think that hordes of reporters will be awaiting him and his "story"?

You are delusional.

Apparently you don't understand the cause of his overstay. The cause is that the Embassy failed to provide timely services such as renewing the passport, and providing consular service upon arrest. He didn't botched anything, the Embassy staff botched everything.

I know reporters are interested in his story, CBC has already expressed interest.

• Haha 2

Apparently you don't understand the cause of his overstay. The cause is that the Embassy failed to provide timely services such as renewing the passport, and providing consular service upon arrest. He didn't botched anything, the Embassy staff botched everything.

I know reporters are interested in his story, CBC has already expressed interest.

In the interest of balance...  His overstay was not caused by his Embassy.

IF I’m not mistaken while applying for our passports when overseas we hold on to our passport and submit colour photocopies (I’m assuming this is the same process when applying for renewal of a Canadian Passport).

Thus, his [Ops friend] overstay was his failure to leave before his permission of stay expired - this may have been triggered by delays in the Embassy issuing his passport, however, he had the option to depart back to Canada before his permission expired. 

Obviously, thats not his preferred option and being ‘forced to leave Thailand’ would have been the direct fault of the Embassy / Passport Office failing to renew in a reasonable timeframe. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 10:14 AM, Banana7 said:

I am happy to report that my friend was released from IDC BKK, got an emergency travel order,  flights on Japan Airlines from BKK to NRT to YVR and landed in Vancouver Canada yesterday on May 13. Now I waiting to see what he does with news media and investigative reporters.

lolz  Yeah right, as if investigative reporters is still a thing.. or ever was a thing for that matter. ????????  This forum is always good for a yuck..

• Sad 1