Arrested for Overstay by Immigration Police

I have a friend who was arrested by immigration Police for overstay. Basically his passport expired so he was unable to renew his marriage visa/extension. The Embassy has not issued a new passport or emergency travel document. He started the passport renewal process in November 2022, and his passport expired in February 2023.

He was jailed upon arrest, then released on bail, has appeared in court 3 times. This last court, yesterday, released him and ordered him resolve the issues with the Embassy within 10 days. However immigration Police came to his home, gave him one hour to pack, and took him to jail, and now he is being transported to Bangkok IDC.

How is it that immigration Police get to override a court order or decision? How can he get help?

Edited by Banana7
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 4

It is the Embassy job to issue passports and emergency travel documents.

He even contacted Global Affairs Canada (GAC) back in Ottawa, complaining about the lack of service and also contacted his MP. Upon his arrest he contacted the Embassy asking for advice, no response. He contacted GAC again complaining about no help upon arrest. GAC told him the Embassy was never contacted about his arrest. Then he sent GAC a screenshot of a LINE conversation showing it had been contacted, same day as the arrest, and the message was read by the Embassy staff. Now GAC and the Embassy have been silent for about 2 weeks.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Normal processing time is 20 business day. Emergency would be faster and cost more.

There is also a 24 hour phone number to call.

Express be a lot cheaper than flying home. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

Normal processing time is 20 business day. Emergency would be faster and cost more.

There is also a 24 hour phone number to call.

He did call Global Affairs Canada emergency help line In Canada multiple times. It seems they have no clue what is actually happening in the Embassy and believe everything the Embassy is telling them.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Banana7 said:

I too am Canadian and I too need a new passport. However I decided to return to Canada to get a new passport because of the lack of cooperation and service from the BKK Embassy, exhibited when dealing with my friend. I don't want to risk being in Thailand with an expired passport, or dealing with uncooperative Embassy staff. Each time I have visited the Embassy, the staff have never been polite to me.

Sorry to hear about your friend's overstay problem.  My dealings with the Canadian passport office in Bkk have been positive.  As I said, I have gotten two new Canuck passports from Bkk before (both less than 2 weeks).  I know of a recent Canadian passport renewal in Bkk that took 2 weeks.  Other countries, like UK and US, may take much longer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I listened to  Russian blogger who brought up this problem. He said many that left because of the war were now having problems since it takes 5 months to get a new PP from their embassy. The embassy does not give out temp PPs, and you do not get the new one without turning in your old one.So they have no choice but to return to Russia for the renewal.

Overstaying would help them avoid a bullet, some people are hidden for over a decade 

This is strange. All Canadians can enter Canada on an expired passport that is in Service Canada Law. One cannot leave this way, only entered as a Canadian 

He should have just bought his  Ticket show the agent at the airport the law and leave. 

The Thai immigration officer at the Airport would of course questioned this and have him pay the overstay fee and maybe blacklisted. 

12 hours ago, Banana7 said:

He did call Global Affairs Canada emergency help line In Canada multiple times. It seems they have no clue what is actually happening in the Embassy and believe everything the Embassy is telling them.

That is not limited to just the Canadian Government, we had problems with the US Embassy here that went all the way to a phone call with the State Department in Washington DC, they said they had no control over decisions made at the consular or embassy level.