Proof of onward travel?

My parents have bought their round-trip flight tickets from the U.K. to Thailand, fly December 4, return Feb 29.

The plan is for them to get a single entry tourist visa, then to extend for a further 30 days at Jomtien immigration.

I'm wondering what is the best option for showing proof of onward travel within 60 days of arriving in Thailand when they apply for their visa. Is a flight ticket to a nearby country sufficient? In which case, is it possible to buy so-called disposable tickets that will suffice both for the visa application and in case they are asked to show proof of onward travel when they board the plane?

Thanks......

Proof of onward travel is only needed when flying to Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa), and it is the airline that might check such onward travel ticket on boarding.

However when flying to Thailand on a Visa - like your parents will do - such onward travel ticket is not needed. 

Note that when applying for the Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate that a return-ticket will be asked as part of the application.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Proof of onward travel is only needed when flying to Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa), and it is the airline that might check such onward travel ticket on boarding.

However when flying to Thailand on a Visa - like your parents will do - such onward travel ticket is not needed. 

Note that when applying for the Tourist Visa at the Thai Embassy/Consulate that a return-ticket will be asked as part of the application.

They will have a return ticket, but not within the 60 days from entering Thailand

3 minutes ago, BillStrangeOgre said:

They won't need proof of onward ticket as they have a visa. Just show the visa at the airline checkin counter if asked. Immigration won't ask either 

From what I understand, they need to show return/onward travel at the time of visa application

59 minutes ago, justsignedin said:

They will have a return ticket, but not within the 60 days from entering Thailand

Thai Embassy in Aus has the following for tourist visa

They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 60 days, counting from the date of entry. Extension is possible for another 30 days, with maximum period of stay of 90 days, counting from the date of entry.

Surely UK Embassy knows 30 day extensions are allowed so tourist visa would be approved with the 88 days proposed? Once Tourist Visa approved no requirement to check flights.

You could also email the UK Thai Embassy and ask if ok

[email protected]

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Thai Embassy in Aus has the following for tourist visa

They will be allowed to stay in Thailand for a period of up to 60 days, counting from the date of entry. Extension is possible for another 30 days, with maximum period of stay of 90 days, counting from the date of entry.

Surely UK Embassy knows 30 day extensions are allowed so tourist visa would be approved with the 88 days proposed?

Once Tourist Visa approved no requirement to check flights.

Sounds logical. I guess it might be best to just apply and see what happens. Thanks

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I edited my post to suggest email the UK Embassy and ask to give you assurance that it's ok?

[email protected]

It is not the embassy, it is the airline that you need to convince, as if you are denied entry then the airline has to fly you back, which is why airlines require a return ticket if you are on a tourist visa or visa exempt

from the Finair site   As a leisure traveller, you must have a return or an onward ticket to another country before departure. When you transit to Thailand through more than one airport in the Schengen Area, you might need a Schengen Visa.

https://www.finnair.com/gb-en

I have never heard or read about anyone being denied boarding with a return ticket,  even if it is over the 60 day tourist  visa,  if you are concerned contact the airline direct, most have web chat, make sure you keep a record

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, howerde said:

It is not the embassy, it is the airline that you need to convince, as if you are denied entry then the airline has to fly you back, which is why airlines require a return ticket if you are on a tourist visa or visa exempt

Airlines do not require proof of flight if they have a Tourist Visa (as embassy already check this before issuing visa).

• Thumbs Up 2

They are ok, as posted they will extend their Visa & return within the 90 day limit, I used to travel mainly like this from Manchester to Phuket with Etihad a couple times per yr, odd time was asked by Etihad just explained will be doing 30 day extension in country never had a problem - never with this. 

There was no issue with Thai E-visa online application for a single entry TV 

• Thumbs Up 2