Going through customs with vitamins/supplements/powders?

tremsy

Hello all, I'm going to Thailand soon to train Muay Thai and I have about 20 different vitamins in bottles, pouches and also powders in patches. There all labelled but will I be stopped at customs? All legal obviously but dont want to be delayed. Any advice or experiences are appreciated thank you

I'm about to head back with 6 months' supply of personal medicines and i make sure to bring the doctor's prescriptions for those with me just in case, but from earlier experiences, i never had a problem before.

2 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm surprised by the above 2 responses, as I have read that it can be difficult simply importing vitamins by mail/DHL etc.

Yes, DHL and by post could be tricky but as a checked luggage it shouldn't be a problem.

It's very unlikely IME the OP will be stopped at Customs, the only caveat perhaps might be meat-based protein supplements. E.g. beef jerky.

I have been coming into Thailand with six months' worth of prescription meds plus a doctor's letter for 10 years, never been stopped or questioned once about what I am bringing in.

IMO the OP has nothing to worry about.

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

I'm surprised by the above 2 responses, as I have read that it can be difficult simply importing vitamins by mail/DHL etc.

I've been importing vitamins once every couple of months through online vitamin stores in the USA and Aust. To date, I haven't had to visit Thai Post or Customs to pay import taxes. The key thing that I've noted is the necessity to keep the package value below THB3,500 and limit each package to no more than 6 items.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Don't worry. So long as they are legal, labelled and in quantities obviously for personal use (not resale), you'll be fine. Enjoy the flight! And the fight!

I had vitamins in bags no labels. Nobody cares about vitamins.

Being allowed 2 check in at 23 kilos apiece for year are packed to maxed,  I get bottles of vitamin for a year total around 20 bottles from Costco.  Big family not to sell.  Years back they ran my stuff through the machine told to open guy complaint I had too many I told him I had  family showd him photos did a break down how many each person took. I was somwhat backing up the clue another guy after me had to open his bag when they did found lots of no no stuff. They no longer worry about me I stood there for a while then decided to close the bag up and slowly but surely Into the dark of the night. 

Thereafter instead of putting them in one I split them up timed if my brother travels too and give some to him. That is the only time I've ever been stop there after I always without making it obvious let the crowd go ahead. Never been stop since.

Prior I got discount on FedEx,  I shipped to play around to see what would happen 3 bottles of Fish oil vitamins,  each 8 bucks tops,  when arrived in Thailand customs wanted addition 2000 baht,  I declined. 

Since Covid I was told to try I-herb order online a bit more but I don't have to travel with all that weight. 

Edited by thailand49

I use to travel to the US and bring back vits and sups all the time. Last time 4-1/2 years ago I had almost a whole suitcase full. I got 'shook down by the gestapo TSA in the USA after checking in. They proceed by breaking the locks and dumping everything on the floor. They just throw things back in, tape up as willy nilly as possible and send the suitcase on. Thai customs never looked twice.  

Technically it is not legal.  You need a license to import vitamins into the country.  As long as they think it is a reasonable amount for your personal consumption it probably will not be a problem.

I do order vitamins from vitacost and iherb.  However to avoid customs you have to keep the order small, less than a kilo I believe, and a value less than $1,500 baht.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

I use to travel to the US and bring back vits and sups all the time. Last time 4-1/2 years ago I had almost a whole suitcase full. I got 'shook down by the gestapo TSA in the USA after checking in. They proceed by breaking the locks and dumping everything on the floor. They just throw things back in, tape up as willy nilly as possible and send the suitcase on. Thai customs never looked twice.  

A number of people I use to work with left to work for the TSA after 9/11 when it started up. 

I was there when they started the scanning of baggage installing all these scanning machine below the surface of the airline check-in. Thereafter, even years back because of complains from airline staff of TSA agent getting what they were being paid remember the saying " TSA thousand standing around "  accusations of stealing and just lazy " cameras were put in the inspection areas " 

It is impossible for each bag to be inspected times these stations are services more than one airline if departures are within the same time things can get a bit hectic. 

As you know TSA request passengers use certain locks the keys and combo are all the same having thrown my share of luggage I know what type of luggage to buy and how to pack. 

My own check in I just use a metal ring,  times large paper clip, top of zipper. Whatever I buy I leave in with the original bags, many items a tip like vitamins I wrap them with my dirty boxers.  the scanner already give the person inspecting a clue as to the item they just making sure. Although they all wear gloves once they see those boxes out comes the pencil to pick at them.  This keeps them from actually tossing things around.  

there was a time consistent if the machine picks your bag TSA opens it they got to put a slip that an inspection is done still required but like everything government can't run anything. 

if you are traveling with a Duffy bag I protect my belongings by cutting and putting cardboard bottom and size to protect and keep the bag riggic I take my dirty and personal clothes put them on top always put light colors one do they can see the skid marks. 

At my orgin destination I knew the TSA setup the regional chief and the airline manager. In conversation online once told him my guy feeling something wasn't right a few times arriving in Thailand a few items were missing what I do is have a inventory sheet I made a copy and place it on top of my boxer that is how I know what was in the bag inspected but no slip? Two groups have access TSA and the airline staff majority of Airlines not based in the U. S.  the work is contracted out to another airline or independent usually the ground crew only since ticketing requires much more training upstairs. 

In the end as a favor even regular passengers can request there is a thing called : sunshine act "  done in a timely manner.  As a favor the footage was pull for the day I departed based on time of check-in my bag wasn't randomly pick to be inspected reason no slip, but there are other cameras what they found was ground crew selectively going through lugguge also if you think 23 kilos can't be picked up and toss you kidding yourself I've worked around guys and defended much worse than throwing your luggage around.

• Confused 4

11 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

There is a difference between bringing pharmaceuticals (including supplements)  in with you and importing them by mail.  The latter requires a  special license from the FDA, though very small quantities may get through if sent by regular post.

You are allowed to bring pharmaceuticals for personal use with you when entering the country. Only in case of narcotics is a permit necessary.  The quantity is supposed to be for only 30 days (used to be 90) but that aspect is not strictly enforced as long as it looks consistent with personal use.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:07 AM, JimmyJ said:

As I am finding now . I made an order to Pipingrock USA for 2 small bottles of vitamins at under 1000 baht in total on the 13th April . They arrived in Bangkok customs on the 21 April  . They are still in the customs inspection hall according to the shipment company Aramex . Don't think I will bother again to buy abroad . Only reason to buy abroad is that Pipingrock are an established trustworthy company and trying to find that , on say Lazada , for local Thai companies ,  who knows what you are getting .  Unless others know better .

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 5:07 AM, JimmyJ said:

I import vitamins from the USA using DHL :  up to a value of 4000 THB no problems

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, fvw53 said:

I import vitamins from the USA using DHL :  up to a value of 4000 THB no problems

What is the delivery time from day of the order . My Piping rock vitamins are still in the Bangkok customs , so a total of 19 days plus the trip to my address . How long do your vitamins stay in the Thai customs hall / inspection ? I assume that DHL have an informative tracker .

BTW Piping Rock told me that the eta would be 10 days , when I made my order .

3 hours ago, superal said:

What is the delivery time from day of the order . My Piping rock vitamins are still in the Bangkok customs , so a total of 19 days plus the trip to my address . How long do your vitamins stay in the Thai customs hall / inspection ? I assume that DHL have an informative tracker .

BTW Piping Rock told me that the eta would be 10 days , when I made my order .

I get my order within 3 weeks and indeed DHL seems to have a fast track

• Thanks 1