Homeless Farang with no help from the Mayor's office

Ironmike

I purchased my home about 8 years ago it was built some 13 years ago with all the approvals from the Mayor's office etc, back in December they started to construct the new Soi after years of erosion buy the rains we get, the road way has dropped at least 12 inches since I purchased the property but the Mayor's office is refusing to help me with this problem and it is such a simple problem to repair. 

I myself am a retired General Contractor so I know what I'm talking about, the road has dropped some 3 feet and it's easy to increase the depth of the side concrete drain walls at light to no cost but the Mayor's office is refusing to help. 

Telling me instead to destroy my driveway and remove the electric gate instead of raising the roadway up to meet the current property height. 

I have been to there office twice only to be lied to and receive No help I'm hoping that people here can offer some advice or help in this matter please look at the photos and ask yourself what would you do in my situation, I'm turning 58 soon and can not climb up 3 feet of wall to enter my home. 

20230416_143253.jpg

20230416_143303.jpg

20230416_143451.jpg

20230416_143318.jpg

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Ironmike said:

I'm turning 58 soon and can not climb up 3 feet of wall to enter my home. 

I don't understand why you would need to climb a 3 foot wall? the office has told you what you need to do, why do you need to destroy your drive way. are they planning to build a wall directly in front of your drive, what is that groundwork for?

• Like 1

Be careful of what you wish for.

If they back fill they will go overboard and then run the concrete road surface on top.  Your access problem will then be replaced with a flooding problem.  This is the very scenario that unfolded in my soi.

How far back inside the chanote boundary is your front fenceline?

Just run a reinforced footing along the front fence line and then bridge the drop to the road with 1.5 meter? cement planks.  You can buy the planks for about 180 baht each.  Then a couple of laborers at 600 baht a day to lay the planks and top them with reinforced 4 inch slap.

Just do it and to your specification and liking.  The amphur might bitch and moan but they wont do anything once your Moat Bridge is in place.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Thanks 1

you are not supposed to critique a painting until it is finished
same applies here
as denim said, wait till they have finished the road
it may be a PITA waiting when you think the work should be done quicker
but you can see from drain the road will be higher than it is currently
and you want the road and drains lower than your house anyway

• Like 1

Ah Sai Yuan. They told me they would be building the concrete up to the level of my gate. They've already filled in the earth, you're up the end they're still working on. They'll be sticking concrete slabs and grates on next then fill in your side with concrete too. They may be slow but they know what they're doing. Chill.

• Like 2

When they lay the concrete that will raise the road slightly, then dig out the beginning part of your drive and have a slope.

FYI it cost the local gov here 800k just to raise a slither of road where it always flooded every year... 

Further when they design the road, you'd be surprised just how many people need to sign off on it - so they'd have to go back to the drawing board... only way you could get around that is have the locals make a <deleted> load of noise... but let us be honest, they will look at you and say som - nom - na, he can afford it, tight elite farang. 

This morning I noticed they'd flattened the soi about 100 meters dead in the middle with a slope up then down at each end with the soil now abutting the concrete tunnel either side. I asked one of the workers I know speaks English well 'You flattening the whole soi? 'Yes' 'That'll take about a year to finish all' 'Yes!' Having said that I get a different answer every time I ask how long? Anyone know?

On 5/6/2023 at 12:07 PM, Celsius said:

Why do you say homeless? Is it because your wife owns a house?

pathetic how often folks here fall back on this tired refrain.

have you nothing to do but parrot forum cliches? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/6/2023 at 12:33 PM, Upnotover said:

I'd be worried to, have you seen a doctor?

i was just thinking that.  how does the OP get in and out of bed?

That said,  its a uniquely thai issue. I would be right pissed

I assume you love complaining about just everything, do you?

Wait the road is ready and adjust your driveway to it.

A good road in front of the house should increases the value as well and if the house is old and over its Time the Land value will justify the correction works...

Btw, I am 60 years old and bought 17 rai land, dug a 5500sqm lake, a 400m artificial river and raised my land between 0.8 and 1.5 meter (all 17 rai) all in just 3 month...

Now I can happily looking forward to get my hip bone replacement due to osteroporisis,

after that I will start up my farm and retire without complaining. 

(the other way of living or am I just adjusted to the Thai style of live?)

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Celsius said:

It is a fact, not a cliche.

First of all fact and cliche are not mutually exclusive. 

The cliche is born when the unimaginative (like you) insist upon trotting out the same fact ad nauseum irrespective of context. 

The man cannot use his driveway due govt road works. Rather than acknowledging the real issue , you seem obsessed about how he came to "own" the property -- not because you are concerned for the person in the story, but simply because it suits your own dull agenda.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Reginald Prewster said:

I assume you love complaining about just everything, do you?

Wait the road is ready and adjust your driveway to it.

A good road in front of the house should increases the value as well and if the house is old and over its Time the Land value will justify the correction works...

Btw, I am 60 years old and bought 17 rai land, dug a 5500sqm lake, a 400m artificial river and raised my land between 0.8 and 1.5 meter (all 17 rai) all in just 3 month...

Now I can happily looking forward to get my hip bone replacement due to osteroporisis,

after that I will start up my farm and retire without complaining. 

(the other way of living or am I just adjusted to the Thai style of live?)

Reginald. 

Lets make this about you, shall we?

Somebody will be along shortly to tell you you dont own the land.

Edited by n00dle

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

i was just thinking that.  how does the OP get in and out of bed?

For all you know his home may be like many rural Thai homes where there is no bedframe and the mattress is placed directly on the floor.

On 5/6/2023 at 11:38 AM, brianthainess said:

I don't understand why you would need to climb a 3 foot wall? the office has told you what you need to do, why do you need to destroy your drive way. are they planning to build a wall directly in front of your drive, what is that groundwork for?

They are building a storm water drain .His house will be less likely of any flooding when finished . 

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

They are building a storm water drain .His house will be less likely of any flooding when finished . 

Maybe not immediately, but once it starts filling up with debris it could be a problem. The one near my house is always getting clogged up by trash, and I'm not talking about leaves and sticks. I am continuously clearing it out after it rains. 

Besides that, the one here is starting to somewhat fall apart. The concrete is falling down. I have reported this for the past few years but nothing gets fixed.

1 minute ago, dingdongrb said:

Maybe not immediately, but once it starts filling up with debris it could be a problem. The one near my house is always getting clogged up by trash, and I'm not talking about leaves and sticks. I am continuously clearing it out after it rains. 

Besides that, the one here is starting to somewhat fall apart. The concrete is falling down. I have reported this for the past few years but nothing gets fixed.

I see in my area they clean them out periodically.

His drain looks a good job , it will not fall apart for years.

Some are built with prefabricated concrete. They are not so good as they can shift over time.

The 58 year old homeless man should be happy