Immigration

I just got back from doing a one week border run to Vietnam. When I got back to the airport in Bangkok no problem with getting a 30 day visa that expires on May 29th. Next I was in Bangkok for 3 days... My wife told me today that she thinks I have to go to "check in" at the Immigration Office in Nakon Phanom. I don't remember having to do this before but my memory is not as good as it used to be lol.

I do remember having to go to the government office here in Nawa where I live and check in...

My question... Do I have to go to the Immigration Office in Nakon Phanom. The Immigration officer that stamped my passport said nothing about it...

Thanks in advance

Larry

• Confused 1

You returned VisaExempt and hence your previous Permission to stay has been voided and replaced by the current one till 29th May. 

As a result of this, according to Thai law the owner/possessor of the place where you are staying is now required to notify local Immigration within 24 hours of you having returned to the premises. The process to do this is by issuing a TM-30 notification.

In practice this '24 hour' is as good as never enforced.  So - if your landlord has not notified your local Imm Office of your return - you can simply do it on his behalf when you apply for a service at your local Imm Office (e.g. application for an extension of stay, or application for a Non Imm O Visa). 

When you are renting you would need to bring a copy of the rental agreement, and when possible also a copy of the house-book and a signed front/back copy of the Thai ID-cad owner of the place you are residing. 

If you don't have a landlord and are staying in the house owned by your wife, she could simply come with you when you do an application at the local Imm Office, and she would need to show her Thai ID-card and a copy of the house-book.

52 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

So - if your landlord has not notified your local Imm Office of your return - you can simply do it on his behalf when you apply for a service at your local Imm Office (e.g. application for an extension of stay, or application for a Non Imm O Visa). 

Depending on immigration office he might not even get past doc check without TM30.

Suggest the OP obtains TM30 prior to attending immigration for extension etc. 

Edited by DrJack54

@AcuDoc > Some questions to clarify your situation and options:

#1 - Are you renting or are you staying in the house of your wife/friends/in-laws?

#2 - In which province are you staying?

#3 - Do you plan to apply for extension or Non Imm O Visa at your local Imm Office?

If no, what other plan you have to stay in Thailand or leave.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, AcuDoc said:

My question... Do I have to go to the Immigration Office in Nakon Phanom

You need to file a TM30 at immigration office where you  deal with for things such as extensions. 

Do that prior to applying for any extensions etc. 

If not applying for extension do nothing

Edited by DrJack54

16 minutes ago, yeahbutif said:

I thought if he was returning to the adress he was before the border run .I thought you dint have to do another tm30.maybe he not done one before.........

If he had returned with a Re-Entry Permit (or had exited and returned on a MultipleEntry Visa) he would not have to renew his address using a TM-30.

But by returning on a new Visa or Visa Exempt, that previous Permit to stay has been voided and hence the need to notify his local Imm Office that he has returned - on a different Visa - to his address. 

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

You returned VisaExempt and hence your previous Permission to stay has been voided and replaced by the current one till 29th May. 

As a result of this, according to Thai law the owner/possessor of the place where you are staying is now required to notify local Immigration within 24 hours of you having returned to the premises. The process to do this is by issuing a TM-30 notification.

In practice this '24 hour' is as good as never enforced.  So - if your landlord has not notified your local Imm Office of your return - you can simply do it on his behalf when you apply for a service at your local Imm Office (e.g. application for an extension of stay, or application for a Non Imm O Visa). 

When you are renting you would need to bring a copy of the rental agreement, and when possible also a copy of the house-book and a signed front/back copy of the Thai ID-cad owner of the place you are residing. 

If you don't have a landlord and are staying in the house owned by your wife, she could simply come with you when you do an application at the local Imm Office, and she would need to show her Thai ID-card and a copy of the house-book.

My partner was fined 1600B in Feb because she did not renew the TM30 after my border run for another Visa. .

3 minutes ago, fgmr said:

My partner was fined 1600B in Feb because she did not renew the TM30 after my border run for another Visa. .

If you returned with new visa or visa exempt you would need to file a TM30. 

My guess is that you actually entered visa exempt..

Either way now TM30 necessary. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, fgmr said:

You - or rather your partner - were unlucky. 

But indeed at some Imm Offices they fine the 'owner/possessor' of the property for not immediately (within 24 hours) notifying Immigration that a foreigner has arrived (or returned on another Visa) to the premises.

Such fine can be avoided by registering the property on the IO TM-30 website, which allows you to issue a TM-30 on-line that a foreigner is staying or has returned to the property (and make a print-out of that notification). 

I did PM you a comprehensive Guideline document on how to do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

If you returned with new visa or visa exempt you would need to file a TM30. 

My guess is that you actually entered visa exempt..

Either way now TM30 necessary. 

I am aware of that, albeit after the fact! My post was intended as info not a query.

38 minutes ago, fgmr said:

I am aware of that, albeit after the fact! My post was intended as info not a query.

I didn't understand your first post and also this one. 

You stated "border run for another visa" ? 

At a guess seems you reentered Thailand visa exempt? 

How did your partner have to pay fine? 

If you subsequently attended immigration for an extension then Immigration could place a fine.

Generally that would be on you and usual fine 800b.