Searching for qualified, experienced nurse to check old man several times a week

Steven55

Who is it, a neighbor or some one you know?

How did he reach out for help?

I’m hearing more stories about old sick people near Pattaya that don’t have anyone to help them out.

Edited by JimTripper

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

The Thais already have this covered don’t they?? Don’t younger family usually move back near the parents home and care for elderly there?

Not so much anymore as the younger family also need to make a living as well. Then who will look after them when they age?

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, JimTripper said:

The Thais already have this covered don’t they?? Don’t younger family usually move back near the parents home and care for elderly there?

Which is what wife and I are doing now. Left Bangkok 8 years ago to be near MIL. Would never consider going back to Bangkok now. Nice and peaceful here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

Which is what wife and I are doing now. Left Bangkok 8 years ago to be near MIL. Would never consider going back to Bangkok now. Nice and peaceful here.

My Thai MIL used to live in a small house we had built for them both until she died a few years ago.

My FIL lived in BKK and my wife's brothers families used to help out with him. My wife would spend 2 weeks helping them and 1 week at home with me. That way they all got a weeks break in 3, until he died several years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

My Thai MIL used to live in a small house we had built for them both until she died a few years ago.

My FIL lived in BKK and my wife's brothers families used to help out with him. My wife would spend 2 weeks helping them and 1 week at home with me. That way they all got a weeks break in 3, until he died several years ago.

Same here. We built her a small place next to our bungalow on youngest sisters plot. Wife shares caring duties with other sister who lives next to us on the other side. They have a 3 on 3 off rota but my wife who is 60 does most of the cooking and cleaning as other sister is not that well. The youngest sister who works on Bangkok was just up and had an air con unit installed as it has been like a furnace recently.

• Thumbs Up 1

So the major problem with elderly farang here is that they lost ties or moved away from family. There’s nobody to fill the gap when they need assistance unless they are really wealthy and can buy the help, or if they are lucky enough to meet someone special and their family.

I have never seen this factored into the cost of retiring in Thailand. It’s usually just rent, food, etc.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

So the major problem with elderly farang here is that they lost ties or moved away from family. There’s nobody to fill the gap when they need assistance unless they are really wealthy and can buy the help, or if they are lucky enough to meet someone special and their family.

I have never seen this factored into the cost of retiring in Thailand. It’s usually just rent, food, etc.

Not many people want to think or talk about it.

I am 78, and here in Thailand I am very lucky that my Thai wife at 57 helps me when I ask, and sometime when I don't ask.

My ex wife in the UK is now 77 and having a problem coping just with herself at times, so if we were still married we would both have problems that would/will multiply as we get older.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes, it is the way.... I don't really like the idea of moving into some dirty little village.. so I got MIL here!:wacko:

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, billd766 said:

They would need extra training and work for a lower salary though.

Yea well, a thousand times better for a girl way past her sell by date than looking for crumbs on beach road...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...