Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

FC Midtjylland 1

Manchester City 0

No slight on you S.J. but the result should read Manchester City 0 vs FC Midtjylland 1 thus correctly indicating the home team Man City lost 0-1.

Sorry, marshbags, this Yank didn't know that before. I appreciate the information. In baseball, the home team is listed on the bottom in a top and bottom score display. In other sports, the winning score is always listed first as the domineering victor. The spoils of war, as it were. Which it seems, this team doesn't experience much of. Kind of like their owner in regard to other aspects of his life.

Edited by sriracha john

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I saw the score this morning on BBC it was given in the same order, as if Man City were visitors.

I was a bit confused because they made a fuss out of Thaksin not showing up for a game - why would he go to Denmark in the first place?

Now it's clear, thank you, Man City lost at home.

"The best is yet to come" - Patongthae should buy these shirts for the whole squad, maybe even incorporate into the new club crest. He's one of the directors, right?

Oak's not too bright as many know, and what he meant by 'the best is yet to come' was first of all mum gets sent down for 3 years, then Dad's going to follow suit, and to top it all, himself and his siblings will face large fines on their magical I baht share transactions!

The best is yet to come!

Aston Villa 4 Manchester City 2

Barclay's English Premiership

Sunday 17 August, 2008

====================================================================

24708-1.jpg

Shinawatra Did It His Way And Failed

As Manchester City threaten to descend into civil war, Goal.com's Will Wood takes a closer look at the City of Manchester club. Will Thaksin Shinawatra stay at the club, or will Mark Hughes be left to pick up the pieces of a flirtation with the big time?

Little over twelve months ago, former Thailand Prime Minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, completed the purchase of one of England’s so-called ‘sleeping giants’; a club steeped in history, but one that found itself aspiring to sit side-by-side with Tottenham Hotspur and Everton rather than Manchester United and Chelsea. That said, he was controversial, at least for a while. “Billionaire,” people then said, and with one word the allegations of human rights infringements seemed to evaporate quicker than an football agent’s payment.

“Champions League”, Shinawatra himself said, and so the turnstiles at the City of Manchester stadium began to turn. In came former England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson, greeted by the same fans that surely vilified him as the national side’s boss, but who believed that even the cumbersome Swede could find success with the masses of spending money on offer at Eastlands. Then entered the likes of Martin Petrov, Valeri Bojinov and Elano, most of whom were hardly the household names that billionaires in football are expected to buy, but many of which came with sufficient price-tags on their head to suggest they were far better options than the likes of Danny Mills and Paul Dickov.

Three straight wins in the Premier League, including the 1-0 defeat of arch-rivals Manchester United, saw a mass-eruption of belief that the blue half of Manchester could enjoy the kind of successes usually reserved for the boys from Salford. Shinawatra spoke of his desire to win the league and the Champions League within five years, Elano was starring as his value rose to £20 million – his decline over the proceeding months a symbol of the club's own demise, but that's yet to come – and Eriksson had been embraced to greater lengths than at any point in his England career.

And yet it was all so delicate. As the cracks began to appear, and City secured just three league wins in January, February and March, Shinawatra refrained from unifying himself with his manager. Instead, he weakened the foundations of an already teetering campaign, refusing to clarify Eriksson’s position and instead citing the end of the season as the time for reflection. In other words, unless Eriksson miraculously turned round what looked remarkably like a sinking ship, the man that had appointed him just several months earlier would demonstrate the kind of impatience that makes Hearts’ Vladimir Romanov look nonchalant.

What ensued was one of the biggest farces in modern football as Shinawatra’s meagre attempts to have his cake and eat it backfired. Perhaps in the world of politics, where positions of power seem to come before dignity, Eriksson would have clung to his managerial hot-seat regardless of Shinawatra’s blatant thoughts for managerial change at the end of the season. Either way, Eriksson himself knew he was leaving, the club’s fans knew he was leaving and, most significant of all, the players knew he would be leaving.

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, my friendship with one particular City player allowed me an incredible insight into events at the club in the latter half of the season, and it is no wonder Richard Dunne, the captain and immensely popular figure, was close to joining Tottenham Hotspur upon the season’s end. While the 28-year old claimed earlier this week that City “won't be made weaker by business decisions,” he was speaking with his heart rather than his head. Nor is it any surprise that some of the younger, highly-rated players considered their future at the club as their tutor, Eriksson, was forced out by an owner whom they had shared little more than a greeting with spending less and less time in England.

Having already removed the well-respected chief executive, Alistair Mackintosh, and nullified Paul Tyrell, the director of communications, Shinawatra had free reign to mould his putty as he saw fit.

This may all seem very dramatic. The club have, after all, appointed one of the countries most highly-rated managers in Mark Hughes, they finished eighth last term and they have recently completed the £20 million signing of Jô. Yet crucially, the lynchpin of it all, Thaksin, still finds himself in a precarious position with regards to charges of fraud from his homeland, predictably accompanied by numerous bids for extradition by the current Thai government. His wife, Potjaman, has already been convicted of tax evasion and sentenced to three years, though she remains out on bail. How can a flourishing tree grow when its very roots remain weak?

Central to the club’s plight this summer was the fact that Shinawatra reportedly secured borrowings to purchase the club against the £800 million of money frozen by the Thai regime when he fled the country for Britain last summer. Confident that the money would eventually be released, the 59-year old allegedly took out high-interest loans that are now bringing the club and its owner to their knees as he struggles to finance the repayments without full access to his excessive fortune.

You need only read Hughes' comments last week regarding communication at the club to get an insight into the turmoil each and every employee is facing. The last thing a new manager should be concerning themselves with is an undermining of their authority. Yet that is exactly what the disciplined and outspoken former Blackburn Rovers manager had to do as representatives of the owner attempted to conclude the sale of Vedran Corluka to Tottenham Hotspur and Stephen Ireland to Sunderland to ease the finances for at least a few months.

Amid all the mayhem, the new campaign got underway as City hosted FC Midtjylland in the UEFA Cup second-round qualifying round. All of City’s efforts from last season were invested in the tie, but an abysmal performance saw the visitors from Denmark walk away with a 1-0 win. Their manager spoke of poor fitness levels and early season jitters, but then they were hammered 4-2 by Aston Villa and all of a sudden the gaps in their squad and beyond have been further exposed.

There was an ill-ease about City’s performance that suggested that there was more to the defeat than a lack of player conditioning. The game with West Ham United next weekend takes on an even greater significance, and it’s hard to imagine Hughes and Hammers manager Alan Curbishley’s post-match drink will be anything other than a sombre affair as both take heed of their respective positions.

A loss for City would send them into the second-leg of their UEFA Cup tie, as well as domestic games away to Sunderland and at home to Luiz Felipe Scolari’s Chelsea, on minus confidence.

Hughes is left to pick up the debris of Shinawatra’s ongoing battle with his former nation. A sinking ship can be stabilised, but it requires all hands on deck and an experienced and committed captain, and it is the latter than should concern City fans.

- Goal.com - 18/08/2008

full article here:

http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=823098

r788008108.jpgr1683787327.jpg

Wanted posters for Blues owner

MANCHESTER City owner Thaksin Shinawatra is at the centre of a new political row in Thailand after police put up `wanted' posters of him and his wife.

The former Thai prime minister who bought the Blues last year for £80m has fled his homeland rather than face corruption charges. He is now in exile in Britain, with £800m of his assets frozen, having admitted his advisers are seeking new investors - a situation that has led to speculation that the club is effectively up for sale.

Thailand's prime minister Samak Sundaravej has come under attack from 200 members of his own party over allowing police to put up the wanted posters but says he will not resign or dissolve Parliament.

The Supreme Court in Bangkok has issued warrants for the arrest of Thaksin and his wife Pojaman after they fled the country last week to England. They contended that they couldn't get fair trials in Thailand in a number of cases involving alleged corruption and abuse of power.

Samak said that he would `not bow to the call from protesters and several other groups of people urging me to resign or dissolve the House'. Thaksin, who was pictured shopping in Surrey last week, has refused to comment on his situation.

City fans are anxious about the club's long-term future with less money than expected for manager Mark Hughes' team rebuilding. Club officials have however been stressing it is business as usual.

The Premier League may act under their fit and proper person rules covering ownership of football clubs if Thaksin, who has yet to apply for political asylum to stay in the UK, is found guilty in his absence by courts in Thailand.

- Manchester Evening News (18/8/2008)

frankshittywater.jpg

Manchester City take out a £30 million loan

Manchester City have secured a £30 million loan against future television revenue to support Mark Hughes in the transfer market, amid continuing uncertainty over the future of their owner, Thaksin Shinawatra.

City’s financial position is in doubt while Thaksin’s assets remain frozen in Thailand, where he is refusing to face trial over corruption charges, but the club have played down the significance of a loan that is designed to ease cashflow difficulties and allow Hughes to strengthen his squad.

Good news has been in short supply at City lately, with defeat at Villa Park preceded by an embarrassing 1-0 loss at home to FC Midtjylland in a Uefa Cup qualifying match.

- The Times (UK) / August 19, 2008

frankshittywater.jpg

Frankie Singin' the Blues.

Well, I never felt more like singin' the blues

'cause I never thought that I'd ever lose

Your love dear, why'd you do me this way?

Well, I never felt more like cryin' all night

'cause everythin's wrong, and nothin' ain't right

Without you, you got me singin' the blues.

The moon and stars no longer shine

The dream is gone I thought was mine

There's nothin' left for me to do

But cry-y-y-y over you (cry over you)

Well, I never felt more like runnin' away

But why should I go 'cause I couldn't stay

Without you, you got me singin' the blues.

(Guy Mitchell)

Investigations in Thailand.... Investigations in the UK.... Thaksin and his battalion of lawyers (incarcerated or not) are kept hopping...

Manchester City face Fifa probe

Manchester City will face an official Fifa inquiry after Shaktar Donetsk claimed they are still owed money from Elano's move to Eastlands last summer.

Reports have claimed the Ukrainian club are still owed £500,000 after agreeing to sell Elano to City for a fee of around £8 million.

And a Fifa statement has now confirmed the game’s governing body will investigate the allegations. “We can confirm that Donetsk have lodged a claim with Fifa regarding this matter,” said a spokesman. “We will now investigate in due course.”

Further scrutiny into City’s finances is unlikely to please manager Mark Hughes, with continuing turmoil surrounding the club’s owner Thaksin Shinawatra completely overshadowing his preparations for the season.

After Thaksin fled a court date in Bangkok to return to the UK, an arrest warrant was issued by Thai authorities. Thousands of protesters outside the British Embassy in Bangkok have since demanded Thaksin be extradited by the Home Office to face corruption charges in Thailand.

Thaksin has had around £800 million in assets frozen by authorities in Thailand, and has reportedly taken out a £30 million loan in order to meet payments and finance transfers at City.

- Telegraph (UK) / 20 Aug 2008

Edited by sriracha john

Can he apply for political asylum in the UK from the Ukraine, as well, if this somehow develops into fraud charges? :o

Fifa probes Man City's Elano deal

Manchester City face a probe by Fifa after Shakhtar Donetsk lodged a complaint about a payment they say they are owed for the sale of Elano.

The Ukrainian club, who sold Elano, 27, to City in 2007, say they are still owed a £475,000 "solidarity payment".

These payments relate to compensation for clubs involved in the development of a player, and usually equate to 5% of the transfer fee.

A Manchester City spokesman declined to comment on the issue.

"We can confirm that Donetsk lodged a claim with Fifa regarding this matter," a Fifa spokesperson told BBC Sport on Wednesday.

"As the relevant procedure will be started in due course, we cannot provide further comments for the time being."

Fifa did not comment on what the potential punishments could be if they ruled against City.

Manchester City's owner Thaksin Shinawatra, who has seen his wife Pojaman sentenced to three years in prison for tax fraud, has had £800 million of his personal fortune frozen while authorities in Thailand continue to investigate allegations of fraud against him.

The club has denied that former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin is looking to sell, although a spokesman has admitted that they are holding "exploratory talks" with potential investors in order to raise further finance.

Manager Mark Hughes has also refuted suggestions that players could be sold against his wishes.

City made two signings in the close season, spending £18m to sign striker Jo from CSKA Moscow and signing Tal Ben-Haim for an undisclosed fee from Chelsea.

- BBC SPORTS / 20-08-08

Manchester City are told to forget about signing Roque Santa Cruz

Mark Hughes, the Manchester City manager, met the club's owner, Thaksin Shinawatra, for the first time in London and discussed his need for two more strikers, a midfielder and a left-back.

City have a £10million bid in for Real Zaragoza's forward, Diego Milito, but have been rebuffed by Blackburn Rovers over a £12million offer for Roque Santa Cruz.

Garry Cook, City's new Executive Chairman, said: "We made an offer for Santa Cruz last week and we were told to forget it in the bluntest possible terms. We've been told to give up on him. Mark is adamant that we don't but it's fair to say the window is closing – and that Blackburn have closed it on us.''

City believe that Blackburn do not want to do business with them. "I think that's so, given that we have already taken their manager off them,'' Cook said. "I have said jokingly to Mark, 'you have only yourself to blame.' But this is a part of what Mark's all about. He wants the best and he wants to bring in players he already knows. He doesn't really like taking on the unknown. Unfortunately, he can't have Santa Cruz and will have to bring in someone new and develop them.''

Shinawatra, who is wanted by the Thai authorities after missing a court appearance last week, will seek political asylum in Britain, according to his lawyer. "At this moment, Thaksin's legal team is proceeding to ask for political asylum for Thaksin and his family in Britain,'' Watchara Seangprathum, one of the former prime minister's Thai lawyers, said. "His asylum request will note their malicious treatment in Thailand.''

- Telegraph (UK) / 21 Aug 2008

1012854356_fe2aa7013b_b.jpg

‘Embarrassed’ Thaksin may have to resign from Manchester City stake

Thaskin Shinawatra is preparing to stand down from the Board of Manchester City under pressure from the Premier League's 'fit and proper person' test.

City confirmed on Friday night that financially-stricken Thaksin is currently trying to sell part of his stake in the club as he looks for funds to bolster the efforts of manager Mark Hughes in the transfer market.

In an extraordinary interview, City executive chairman Garry Cook admitted that the controversial Thai politician is 'embarrassed' about the controversy he has attracted and is preparing to step down as the Barclays Premier League continue to examine whether he meets their guidelines for ownership.

Cook said: 'Thaksin has been really open about this. He has said to me: "If you need me to resign from the football club as a director then I'm fine with that as long as that doesn't change any other thing".

'This is one of the reasons why we would look to maybe take him off the board as a director. We're talking about a lot of different things right now.'

Cook met Premier League Chairman Sir David Richards this week and is fully aware that - with Thaksin currently on the run from court charges in Thailand - the English game is concerned about the harm the City owner may be doing to its reputation.

It is known that several other Premier League Chairmen do not believe Thaksin should be allowed to continue to head up City while League chief executive Richard Scudamore also has grave misgivings.

League rules state that any individual found guilty of corruption charges cannot sit on a club board and also has to transfer part of his stake to another individual.

Cook added: 'I think there is a very loose term about what is "fit and proper." It is almost a tongue-in cheek term that you would use for Premier League football over the last 10 years. There are plenty of unfit and improper individuals.

'But what I want to do with Sir David is make sure that we get it cleared up. We are restructuring the board.

'We have talked about selling part of his stake to an equity partner who would come in and take a little bit of the pressure away from him so that the Premier League would get more comfort out of it.

'Thaksin is embarrassed about the indignity brought on all the entities - the club, the Premier League. He never intended this.'

'We've talked about so many different options. But one thing we are adamant about is not to give up the majority stake-holding.'

With Thaksin's £800 million fortune frozen in Thailand, City have finally admitted the former Thai prime minister is not able to bankroll the club as he originally promised.

A recent £30 million bank loan-secured against future TV and ticket revenue - has eased the pressure on a club that has had to borrow millions from former owner John Wardle to ease cash flow problems.

But Cook admitted last night that it now needs an injection of fresh capital from a new investor if manager Hughes is to add to his squad in the transfer window.

Cook said: 'It will be resolved in the next 10 days. It might not be the selling of a stake it might just be … well, we have got five or six different options.'

'The reason we want to do that is because we are in the transfer window with 11 days left and we need three or four players. It will help us improve Mark's squad.'

Thaksin is living in London but has been advised by security experts not to come to City home games, starting with West Ham on Sunday.

- Daily Mail (UK) / Aug. 22, 2008

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin is living in London but has been advised by security experts not to come to City home games, starting with West Ham on Sunday.

:D

E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g he topuches turns to <deleted>.

Now if he steps down, will he still be pulling the strings from behind the scene as he still does in politics. I guess he can use his children again like he did for tax evasion. :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

Thaksin offers to resign from Man City board, says Cook

LONDON, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Manchester City's "embarrassed" owner Thaksin Shinawatra is prepared to step down from the English Premier League club's board, its executive chairman was quoted as saying in British newspapers on Saturday.

"The man is embarrassed about the indignity brought on the club and the Premier League," Garry Cook told reporters at the City of Manchester stadium during a press briefing this week at which the former Thai prime minister's future was discussed.

"He (Thaksin) said to me, 'If you need me to resign from the football club as a director, because it would serve the needs of the Premier League, then I'm fine with that as long as that doesn't change any other thing (his ownership)'," Cook said.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Cook met Premier League chairman Dave Richards on Tuesday to establish whether Thaksin had fallen foul of the league's "fit and proper person" test.

Under Premier League rules, club directors can be dismissed if they are found guilty of corruption by a "competent court" anywhere in the world. Thaksin, 59, skipped bail and went into exile in London this month, accusing potential enemies who removed him in a 2006 coup of meddling in the courts to "finish off" him and his family.

The Supreme Court issued arrest warrants for Thaksin and his wife Potjaman, and seized 13 million Thai baht in bail bonds after he failed to appear in a corruption case.

Thaksin's flight to London is almost certain to lead to a guilty verdict being handed down in absentia, potentially jeopardising his ownership of Manchester City.

"He (Thaksin) has not skipped bail. He's not gone back to face the charges," Cook said.

"He wants to be at this ground (Eastlands) on Sunday but people may want to come and show their support from his country and he doesn't want to use this as a political platform. :o And there has been a threat to his safety worldwide." :D

Thaksin offers to resign from Man City board, says Cook

LONDON, Aug 23 (Reuters) - Manchester City's "embarrassed" ("Disgraced") owner Thaksin Shinawatra is prepared to step down from the English Premier League club's board, its executive chairman was quoted as saying in British newspapers on Saturday.

"The man is embarrassed about the indignity brought on the club and the Premier League," The man is ashamed of the humiliation and despair he's caused the club and the Premier League"Garry Cook told reporters at the City of Manchester stadium during a press briefing this week at which the former Thai prime minister's future was discussed.

"He (Thaksin) said to me, 'If you need me to resign from the football club as a director, because it would serve the needs of the Premier League, then I'm fine with that as long as that doesn't change any other thing (his ownership)'," Cook said.

The Daily Telegraph reported that Cook met Premier League chairman Dave Richards on Tuesday to establish whether Thaksin had fallen foul of the league's "fit and proper person" test.

Under Premier League rules, club directors can be dismissed if they are found guilty of corruption by a "competent court" anywhere in the world. Thaksin, 59, skipped bail and went into exile in London this month, accusing potential enemies who removed him in a 2006 coup of meddling in the courts to "finish off" him and his family. (If only!)

The Supreme Court issued arrest warrants for Thaksin and his wife Potjaman, and seized 13 million Thai baht in bail bonds after he failed to appear in a corruption case.

Thaksin's flight to London is almost certain to lead to a guilty verdict being handed down in absentia, potentially jeopardising his ownership of Manchester City.

"He (Thaksin) has not skipped bail. ???He's not gone back to face the charges," Cook said. How much is he getting paid to make up this fantasy? :(

"He wants to be at this ground (Eastlands) on Sunday but people may want to come and show their support from his country and he doesn't want to use this as a political platform. :D And there has been a threat to his safety worldwide." :DYes, and loyal Manchester City fans may just have a few words of their own for the good Dr.Thaksin! :o:D :D

Edited by ratcatcher

:D

E-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g he topuches turns to <deleted>.

Now if he steps down, will he still be pulling the strings from behind the scene as he still does in politics. I guess he can use his children again like he did for tax evasion. :o

Mmmm guess he needs protection from the humiliation of terrace (or lack of these days) chant wit.

Thaksin offers to quit

Owner Thaksin Shinawatra has offered to resign from the Manchester City board, executive chairman Garry Cook revealed.

The Premier League are looking into whether Thaksin, who....

oh nevermind, I think with this we need to email the Premier League and Mr. Cook a link to the 18-month-long, 626-posted-on thread...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Thai-PM-Thak...17.html&hl=

Former Thai PM Thaksin: "I'm Calling It Quits"

AAAhhh, John, goddammit, you beat me to it by 24 minutes.

I was just thinking we had seen exactly the same spin before somewhere.

And to boot, resigning from the board is not the same as selling the club, particularly when the board is stacked with your nominees and family members.

AAAhhh, John, goddammit, you beat me to it by 24 minutes.

I was just thinking we had seen exactly the same spin before somewhere.

And to boot, resigning from the board is not the same as selling the club, particularly when the board is stacked with your nominees and family members.

Yeah, as always with this criminal, nothing is quite as it seems, although the usual spin continues. :o

"He (Thaksin) has not skipped bail. He's not gone back to face the charges," Cook said.

Garry Cook, you are Thaksin`s first official falang zombie in the UK, congratulations!

:o Quack Quote of the Day... :D

"I didn't hit the plaintiff, your honor. His face impacted with my fist."

:o

Both Thaksin and his Mrs are at the game.

And very happy they all are as M.C.F.C. beat West Ham 3 - 0 :D

So these security-experts are delusional, or imaginary, just being ignored by Thaksin, or what ? Should Thaksin be asked to leave the UK - because he is likely to attract these violent people to enter the country and commit crimes in which innocent citizens might become involved ? :o