Thaksin Completes Man City Buyout

george

Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Avram Grant

The writing was on the wall for Grant after defeat in Moscow

Chelsea have sacked manager Avram Grant after just eight months in charge.

The decision followed two days of talks between Grant, 53, and the club's chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Israeli coach's position had been subject to intense speculation after Chelsea finished runners-up in the Premier League and Champions League.

Russia coach Guus Hiddink, fellow Dutchman Frank Rijkaard and Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson are among the early favourites to replace Grant.

From the BBC website

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Grant sacked as Chelsea manager

Avram Grant

The writing was on the wall for Grant after defeat in Moscow

Chelsea have sacked manager Avram Grant after just eight months in charge.

The decision followed two days of talks between Grant, 53, and the club's chief executive Peter Kenyon.

The Israeli coach's position had been subject to intense speculation after Chelsea finished runners-up in the Premier League and Champions League.

Russia coach Guus Hiddink, fellow Dutchman Frank Rijkaard and Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson are among the early favourites to replace Grant.

From the BBC website

If SGE does go to Chelsea, he'll have a lot better chance of making a winning side than he ever did at Man City. Trouble is, Toxin will probably keep him on now and not sack him, just to spite him and make sure he doesn't have to pay up for breach of contract and watch his ex-manager win a cup! Meanwhile, Man City will continue to struggle and slide back to obscurity with a chairman and manager who can't bear to look at each other! 555555555! :o

Source/Link:

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co...le.asp?a=110634

Thaksin's Limbo Chancers trans.giftrans.gif350_b.jpgHow's your end of season review going then, Blues?

I know we've 'The Hispanic Causing Panic` fighting this weekend at Eastlands, but he's got nothing on City owner Thaksin Shinawatra whose questionable leadership has caused nothing but unrest at Manchester City for what feels like weeks on end.

Two weeks on since that absolute disgrace at Middlesborough which many Blues believe was fuelled by a tsunami of rumours and an abject failure by the chairman to make a clear statement over Sven-Goran Eriksson's future, we are no further forward.

If anything, we've taken a few more steps backwards. The gruelling end of season Far East travelling circus farce has come and gone. Hacks as bored as we are with Svengate :o are feverishly going after how many of City's brilliant Academy graduates and senior stars will be offski whilst the hopeless lack of direction persists.

The only plus has been the club's UEFA Cup qualification. But any excitement over this fact has been tempered by the fact that City need the squad back, assembled and training earlier than usual. A vicious circle that takes us right back to what the hel_l is going on in the club's hierarchy.

Amid all this frustration, City continue to be linked with big signings which is all the more strange considering the state of inertia that has a stranglehold on all things MCFC.

By many accounts, it is Thaksin's football clueless advisers and men on the board who are running the show. Don't ask me where Messrs Wardle and Mackintosh are. Ronaldhino, alledgedly on a playboy lifestyle fuelled nosedive at Barca, continues to be courted. A Nike chief executive character is mooted and the relentless speculation over who the manager will be shows no signs of stopping until the chairman get's a grip.

Thaksin and his pals have placed Manchester City in limbo. Nothing is doing and our rivals are resting up ready to watch Euro 2008 before focusing on the new season.

A game of high risk and chance continues to be played out.

Like Svennis or not, like Thaksin or not, a lot of damage has been done to Manchester City's image since those vague comments in Dubai. The continued instability that followed was already getting to the fans and players before the season ended and everything rests upon a knife edge.

Give us some direction and quickly, Mr. Chairman.

Unqoute

If SGE does go to Chelsea, he'll have a lot better chance of making a winning side than he ever did at Man City. Trouble is, Toxin will probably keep him on now and not sack him, just to spite him and make sure he doesn't have to pay up for breach of contract and watch his ex-manager win a cup! Meanwhile, Man City will continue to struggle and slide back to obscurity with a chairman and manager who can't bear to look at each other! 555555555! :o

As I have said previously, I would think SGE has a pretty strong case for constructive dismissal, after Thaksin has been shooting his mouth off saying he is going to fire him over the past few months, and then refusing to tell him whether he is staying or going.

SGE's position is intolerable by any standards, and I think any claim by Thaksin for breach of contract would fail at the first hurdle.

I wouldn't be surprised if that Pattaya stopover was designed to get some compromising photos and videos of Sven and the lads before they get their agents on the case for new contracts or compensation.

As I have said previously, I would think SGE has a pretty strong case for constructive dismissal, after Thaksin has been shooting his mouth off saying he is going to fire him over the past few months, and then refusing to tell him whether he is staying or going.

SGE's position is intolerable by any standards, and I think any claim by Thaksin for breach of contract would fail at the first hurdle.

I agree Mobi, Thaksin would not be able to defend himself against the allegations of constructive dismissal if it went to tribunal, the evidence against him is far too great and pretty much public knowledge. SGE will sit and wait, just like he has always done, and one of the reasons why he is one of the richest football managers. Toxin and his Thai cronies have no <deleted> idea when it comes to the intricacies of running a football club in the UK, and judging by the statements they made in respect of the three Thai players going to City earlier in the season, they also have no idea about Employment law and visa and WP regulations.

As for signing Ronaldhinio, they are about 5 years to late.

Totally agree with above said.

Thaksin doesn't have the human feeling anymore. Especially not for a human fairplay sport, such as

football.

His deals and actions, shows that all human beings are just numbers for him (in USD), like shares,

marketing brands etc. you can deal, buy, sell and sell-off (see Jakrapob, Sven) if not needed anymore.

He doesn't seam to recognise, that real human beings are behind his employees, fans and political

supporters. Laws, political opponents, other opinions all can be bought up, sold, or sued if standing in his way.

I think already long time ago, he forget to think about the mid- to long-term consequences of his

cold, wrong & short-minded actions & ideas and especially political ideas, which are not based on the

countries well being (only his and his cronies).

I really see only one way for City to save themselves from total disaester; to find a new investor, with

a human spirit. Thaksin's cold and only has one ambtion: power (money and blind fans screaming their heads off)

and he doesn't care about others.

I feel sorry for anyone engaging with Thaksin, and can't see the big pic behind this man (you just need to google

up and read those hundreds of realitites Thaksin is causing, or just follow his actions for a view weeks, and

you seam to understand his personal, selfish goals). :o

I agree Mobi, Thaksin would not be able to defend himself against the allegations of constructive dismissal if it went to tribunal, the evidence against him is far too great and pretty much public knowledge. SGE will sit and wait, just like he has always done, and one of the reasons why he is one of the richest football managers. Toxin and his Thai cronies have no <deleted> idea when it comes to the intricacies of running a football club in the UK, and judging by the statements they made in respect of the three Thai players going to City earlier in the season, they also have no idea about Employment law and visa and WP regulations.

As for signing Ronaldhinio, they are about 5 years to late.

Whichever way you look at it, Man City are now screwed, as far as their dreams of becoming a top flight football team go. Sven stays it's bad news, Sven goes it's bad news. Toxin hasn't got the vision to make it into a great club as he's proven in just one season by following his form of being the Great Divider. If only the MCFC fans had been a little bit less eager for his money and a little bit more judicial about who they accepted, they could have avoided the humiliation that has and will surely continue to haunt them (8-1 to Middlesbourough, well bugger me! :D ) so long as Toxin stays in. The best they could hope for now, is that Toxin either sells up and accepts whatever price he can get (loss of face and loss of political tool, so unlikely), or he pulls all his sycophantic advisors out and appoints board members with credbility and honesty to manage the club's affairs. But the latter ain't gonna happen, so it's going to be entertaining watching the club go down the u-tube! :D

Money can buy me love! :o

I don't believe all press but it's rather sounds like so true, that his family member have to help him to remind

him, that his not the popular brat he thinks he is.

http://www.4thegame.com/club/manchester-ci...lease_fans.html

Thaksin Aims To Please Fans

Sunday 25 May 2008 Manchester City owner Thaksin Shinawatra will reportedly supply the club with a £65million transfer kitty in the summer in a bid to win over the fans.

The Thai owner has become increasingly unpopular at Eastlands since doubt was cast over the future of manager Sven Goran Eriksson last month.

The Swede has enjoyed an impressive first campaign with the club, and fans want him to stay on.

A City source said: "The owner's family have told him how badly the fans have taken it all but he seems confident things will soon be forgotten.

"His people insist he has an ace up his sleeve."

thaksin_shinawatra_feature.jpg

THAKSIN SHINAWATRA

Unquote

Wake up Thaksin, no-one loves you, it's your money they love!

From Today's BBC Sport:

Sven-Goran Eriksson is set to accept an offer from the Mexican FA to coach the national side. (Mexican newspaper La Jornada 2017 BST)

From Today's Daily Telegraph:

Thaksin Shinawatra is lining up a £32 million offer for Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov. If the deal went through it would break the British transfer record, although the Bulgarian is more likely to choose rivals United if he stays in the Premier League. One player that they look more certain to sign is Mexican wonder-kid Giovani Dos Santos from Barcelona.

From Today's BBC Sport:

Sven-Goran Eriksson is set to accept an offer from the Mexican FA to coach the national side. (Mexican newspaper La Jornada 2017 BST)

From Today's Daily Telegraph:

Thaksin Shinawatra is lining up a £32 million offer for Spurs striker Dimitar Berbatov. If the deal went through it would break the British transfer record, although the Bulgarian is more likely to choose rivals United if he stays in the Premier League. One player that they look more certain to sign is Mexican wonder-kid Giovani Dos Santos from Barcelona.

I guess for the increibly wealthy owning a premier league team is just like playing fantasy football or football manager for the rest of us. Luckily for us in the virtual world we can sign, drop, or replce whoever we want and achieve or underachieve to out hearts pleasure, and it doesnt cost hardly anything. Sadly in the real world it involves big bucks, big egos, huge support bases and many other imponderables. Clearly Mr. T is not exactly adept at manipulating these things and it is interesting to see the myth of his moderrn business acumen being debunked. On the other hand it has and will no doubt continue to keep him in the news and as our old mate "no free speech here" Jakropob said "all press is good press". Mmmm wonder if he stills beleives in that now, but I digress.

According to one very prominent UK football pundit the money made available by Thaksin to date has only covered MCFC debt. None of the transfer fees of incoming 'stars' have yet been paid. He stated this to John Dikes in a football programme shown on ESPN. Eyes bigger than his belly?

Thaksin is President of the Thai PGA. I would like to think that the R&A and the European PGA would never deal with this monster.

According to one very prominent UK football pundit the money made available by Thaksin to date has only covered MCFC debt. None of the transfer fees of incoming 'stars' have yet been paid. He stated this to John Dikes in a football programme shown on ESPN. Eyes bigger than his belly?

Thaksin is President of the Thai PGA. I would like to think that the R&A and the European PGA would never deal with this monster.

Now why doesn't this surprise me?

Thaksin to splash ($$) cash in record City deal

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/tha...al-1388072.html

Dont foregt that when they spash the cash what they are doing is lending their money to the club to spend. They are not giving it or donating it.

Roman has loaned Chelsea about 600 million quid and the Glaziers have loaned ManU almost 1 billion quid according to recent reports. Wonder where Thaksin stands in the top lenders league.

The words of his unsporty actions are spreading wider and wider in the UK. Did Thaksin believe the UK press would never found out, that he misuses Manchester City for mainly his own political agenda back in Thailand?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/may/30/thailand

Thailand tense as top general speaks of coup

The protesters are also fighting plans by the coalition government led by the People Power party, a direct descendant of Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party, to amend the constitution. Critics say the government wants to prevent Thaksin being prosecuted on corruption charges and consolidate its hold on power.

Unqoute

read the whole story here:

meanwhile his trying to sign Scolari, Ronaldinho etc.

I wonder if these men are reading online news, about their future boss?

Edited by nomoretalksin

The words of his unsporty actions are spreading wider and wider in the UK. Did Thaksin believe the UK press would never found out, that he misuses Manchester City for mainly his own political agenda back in Thailand?

Thailand tense as top general speaks of coup

The protesters are also fighting plans by the coalition government led by the People Power party, a direct descendant of Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party, to amend the constitution. Critics say the government wants to prevent Thaksin being prosecuted on corruption charges and consolidate its hold on power.

Unqoute

read the whole story here:

meanwhile his trying to sign Scolari, Ronaldinho etc.

I wonder if these men are reading online news, about their future boss?

Perhaps you could clarify your point. I don't see how you are linking the 2 topics.

Completly agree with you. Sure off-topic directly, but if you look more close u maybe understand the controversy another men has set-up. I'm just trying to show how Thaksin is trying to link those 2 things very well: sport and politics (gain more votes with Thai footy fans). Plus UK newspaper printing it (plus read my 2 first lines)

----

to go back to City sport only topic just found some

Very Latest Man City Transfer Rumours

http://www.manchestercity.vitalfootball.co...le.asp?a=111147

With the transfer window well and truly open, football agents will be doing their utmost to get the best deal they can for their respective clients. How many of the following rumours actually have any credence?

Players in

Ronaldinho - Barcelona

Jo - CSKA Moscow

Giovani dos Santos - Barcelona

Stephane Mbia - Rennes

Peter Crouch - Liverpool

Dimitar Berbatov - Tottenham

Andrey Arshavin - Zenit St. Petersburg

Paul Robinson - Tottenham

Aiden McGeady - Celtic

Giorgio Chiellini - Juventus

Eduardo Gaspar - Valencia

Players out

Richard Dunne - Sunderland, Newcastle, West Ham and Tottenham

Stephen Ireland - Sunderland.

Micah Richards - Manchester United and Juventus

Michael Johnson - Arsenal

Joe Hart - Aston Villa and Tottenham

Unquote

sorry for my off-topic step (for us but not for thaksin) above. Above players are just rumours yet.

Edited by nomoretalksin

I reckon Thaksin should appoint a Thai as the manager, provided of course he does give Sven the boot. That way, he would be able to totally control him. Plus he could pay him low wages and get all the wai-ing he wants. Jakraphob Penkair might be looking for a new job soon.

I reckon Thaksin should appoint a Thai as the manager, provided of course he does give Sven the boot. That way, he would be able to totally control him. Plus he could pay him low wages and get all the wai-ing he wants. Jakraphob Penkair might be looking for a new job soon.

You have no idea how much Thaky would love that scenario, especially if it was Jak, who seems to have a history of taking it up the rear from the boss without complaint.

But in reality, it ain't likely, which means he must look for someone from a developing country with a history of footballing success, but won't be all feisty and bolshy like Sven, when asked to toe the line on the Asian deals and Thaksin-promo tours. :o

Manchester - 31. May 2008

http://www.sportingo.com/Football/a8945_be...nglish-football

To be Frank, the two-faced Manchester City owner is nothing new to English football

Thaksin Shinawatra now appears unfit and improper both in terms of morals and footballing nous.

Thaksin-Shinawatra_173x124.jpg Thaksin Shinawatra: Has he made a mistake? (gettyimages.com) It appears that Thaksin Shinawatra, owner of Manchester City and former Prime Minister of Thailand, has two faces – to a great many City fans he is "Frank Sinatra", the smiling moneybags chairman with deep pockets, but to others he has very shallow morals indeed, with Human Rights Watch calling him "a human rights abuser of the worst kind" with all sorts of allegations stemming from his tenure as leader of Thailand.

It has been well-documented that Shinawatra passed the Premier League's "fit and proper person test", which actually just lists a series of offences and conflicts of interest that disqualify someone from being a director of a Premier League club.

In many ways the authorities have got it right; Shinawatra remains innocent until proven guilty – and because of that they have little room to manoeuvre with regards to stopping the Thai billionaire, no matter how unsavoury the rumours are, they remain just that – rumours.

All the above has been dredged up umpteen times, but question marks are still hovering around Shinawatra's name, this time not because of the allegations of his misdeeds whilst in power in Thailand, but because many people think he is becoming unfit and improper for different reasons.

When Shinawatra first took over at City it was claimed that the litmus test of whether the Thai would be acceptable was season ticket sales. Journos declared that fans would vote with their feet - and they did - buying season tickets in record numbers. Now though, people are starting to question Thaksin again – this time not about whether he is morally clean enough to own Man City, but whether his footballing instincts are fit and proper.

After one season, where Sven Goran Eriksson was forced to hit the ground running and buy players in an extremely short amount of time – a unit has been formed, made up of strong Britons (Richard Dunne, Micah Richards, Michael Johnson et al) and sprinkled with foreign talent like Elano and Martin Petrov. Although this has been a major season of transition for City, they still finished ninth, and took six points off the champions – not too shabby you would think – but not if you are Thaksin Shinawatra.

The essential problem with the new breed of billionaire football club owner is that they don't realise that success isn't instantaneous and that football knowledge takes a long time to acquire. In replacing Sven and Avram Grant, both Shinawatra and Roman Abramovich are displaying the ruthless streak they are used to flashing in the business world, making executive decisions and opting to rock the boat yet again.

On the face of it, then, although nothing concrete has been proven with regards to Shinawatra's human rights record (or at least nothing tangible enough for the Premier League), he is displaying a gross lack of common sense with regards to Sven.

Although loopy and shady chairmen have been around English football for time immemorial – is Thaksin the historical descendant of Henry Norris, the 60's chairmen who tied footballers to a maximum wage and effective servitude whilst the game of football was flourishing, or even Robert Maxwell and countless others? Even Everton's Peter Johnson would have failed the fit and proper person test as he had interests in two clubs – Everton and Tranmere.

The sad truth is that shady chairmen are nothing new to English football.

Has Shinawatra made a massive mistake in canning Sven?

Unquote

Mark Hughes, the Blackburn manager, now odds-on favourite for the hot seat. Will he be able to the Thai owner's style?

Eriksson's reign at Man City ends

Sven-Goran Eriksson

Former England boss Eriksson joined City last summer

Manchester City have split with manager Sven-Goran Eriksson.

BBC Sport revealed in April that Eriksson was no longer wanted by owner Thaksin Shinawatra, despite City finishing ninth in the Premiership.

"I have enjoyed my time at Manchester City very much and I would like to thank the fans, players and staff for their amazing support," said Eriksson.

Blackburn chiefs have "reluctantly" granted City permission to talk to manager Mark Hughes.

The Welshman has guided Rovers into Europe twice, but asked the Ewood hierarchy if he could begin discussions with City.

Former England boss Eriksson took over as City manager last summer and still had two years left on his contract.

City chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "The board of directors and all at Manchester City would like to thank Sven for his efforts and contributions throughout the season.

"We wish him well for the future. Sven remains a friend of the club."

City occupied third spot in the Premiership in November, but former Thailand Prime Minister Thaksin was unhappy with City's results since the turn of the year.

606: DEBATE

I really feel for Sven, the way he has been treated after a fantastic season is nothing short of outrageous

CC

City's form faltered badly after Christmas, although their ninth-place finish was enough to win them a Uefa Cup berth, albeit via the Fair Play League.

Thaksin bankrolled eight summer signings at a cost of more than £46m shortly after buying the club but his relationship with Eriksson soured in the second half of the season.

City's players are understood to have reacted with a mixture of shock and anger when Eriksson told them he would be leaving in April and he had the support of the majority of fans.

And City defender Micah Richards told the BBC that the players were "100% behind" Eriksson, who is thought to have been lined up as the next manager of the Mexican national team.

Thaksin now has to find a new manager before the new season starts in August and Portugal coach Luiz Felipe Scolari and recently ousted Chelsea boss Avram Grant have also been touted as a possible replacement.

It seems certain that any new manager will have a considerable amount of money to spend in the summer.

Thaksin has hundreds of millions of pounds worth of assets frozen as he awaits trial on corruption charges later this year.

But his former lawyer Noppadom Pattama, who is now Thailand's foreign minister, told BBC Sport that he expected these assets to be unfrozen in the near future.

BBC

From today's BBC Sport:

Man City close in on Hughes deal

Manchester City have agreed a compensation package with Blackburn for Rovers manager Mark Hughes - but are yet to speak to the Welshman.

Blackburn gave Hughes permission to speak to City on Monday after the Eastlands club indicated they wanted him to succeed Sven-Goran Eriksson.

BBC Sport understands representatives of City are now in contact with Hughes.

Hughes is also believed to be on Chelsea's shortlist as a successor to Avram Grant, who was sacked on 24 May.

City's approach has alerted Hughes's admirers within the Chelsea hierarchy.

The City powerbrokers had hoped to do a swift deal to appoint Hughes as owner Thaksin Shinawatra moves to end unrest among supporters at the departure of Eriksson.

But once word of City's move for Hughes leaked out, Chelsea recognised the possibility of missing out on a manager who has admirers within the Stamford Bridge hierarchy.

Chelsea are waiting in the wings and could yet scupper a potential move to Eastlands if they make an official approach to Blackburn.

A statement on Blackburn's website said: "Rovers can confirm they have reached an agreement with Manchester City on compensation terms for Mark Hughes.

"As a consequence Manchester City have been given permission to speak to Mark."

If Hughes does not take over at Eastlands, BBC Sport believes sacked Inter Milan coach Roberto Mancini may then figure in City's thinking.

He had cordial relations with City even before the appointment of his close confidante Eriksson as manager last summer, while his 17-year-old son, Filippo, joined City's youth academy on loan from Inter in January.

But Hughes is City's preferred option, even though the name of Fenerbahce coach Zico has also been thrown into the mix of names under consideration to succeed Eriksson.

The Welshman has guided Rovers into Europe twice, but recently indicated his long-term ambitions might not be satisfied at Ewood Park.

A Blackburn statement on Monday said City had made an approach to talk to Hughes.

"Mark has made it clear to the board he would like the opportunity to talk to Manchester City," it said.

"In view of this, the board have decided reluctantly to give permission subject to terms and conditions acceptable to Blackburn Rovers being agreed with Manchester City in advance."

Former Wales boss Hughes has impressed during his three-and-a-half year spell at Ewood Park, guiding Rovers to seventh in the Premier League last season.

He also led the club to its first FA Cup semi-final in 40 years in 2004 and another in 2007.

Earlier this year, the former Manchester United and Chelsea striker was one of the front-runners to succeed Sam Allardyce as Newcastle manager before Kevin Keegan took the job.

Hughes' former Wales team-mate Dean Saunders feels he may be better off staying at Ewood Park.

Hughes succeeded Graeme Souness and assistant Saunders at Blackburn in September 2004 when the pair moved to Newcastle.

Saunders said: "Man City will not be run like Blackburn and Sparky will realise that if he goes there."

"I had a shock going to Newcastle. Graeme took a risk going there but you don't realise how well Blackburn is run until you've left.

"Mark has done well and taken the club into Europe a couple of times by finishing seventh twice.

"But that is because of how it's run and because the chairman and the directors are very stable people.

"Mark will have the same problem at Man City that we had at Newcastle and he'll realise it should he get there."

The poor, misguided Welshman has no idea of what he's getting himself into :o